The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 9, 2017, 02:27 AM   #1
mooreshawnm

Any point to C&R?

My C&R licence expired years ago. Right about when the WW2 toys were drying up. Will there ever be another (non Mosin) group of rifles imported? Is it worth getting it again?

Oh and check this out:
Welcome, mooreshawnm.
You last visited: November 11, 2009 at 09:06 AM
Old January 9, 2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Don P

That's up to you. I have had a C&R for over 6 years now and have purchased 1 rifle on it. Finances changed so collecting went to the far back burner. I basically keep it now for the parts discounts and for just in case something comes along
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 9, 2017, 10:18 AM   #3
NINEX19

mooreshawnm,
I see that you are in WA. There is something more important to consider about getting a C&R in this state than if there will ever be more surplus available.

Since the passing of I-594 last year, C&R transfers are now not exempt from going through an FFL for the buy and sale, background check, and ATF form 4473.

My opinion is that it is a complete waste of time and money as you will gain ZERO benefit from it.
Old January 22, 2017, 12:46 AM   #4
Jbar4Ranch

As far as federal law is concerned, if a gun is 50 years old, or more, it's C&R, so anything made prior to today's date in 1967, or earlier, or can be shipped to a Type 3 C&R FFL holder. But apparently Washington state law, such as mentioned above, trumps federal law. I've never read it, but a Type 3 FFL holder has to log acquisitions and dispositions in a bound book just as any other FFL holder, so it seems the Type 3 FFL could just make the WA required background check call, unless WA law or BATFE says otherwise.
I purchase several C&R guns every year, so it's well worth the $30 every three years for me, rather than paying an additional $25 per transfer to my friendly neighborhood Type 1 FFL holder.

Early Remington M700's, Winchester M70's, Weatherby's, and a host of handguns are C&R eligible under the 50+ year regulation. Fifty years wasn't that long ago...

SASS 47015
Old January 22, 2017, 10:56 PM   #5
reddog81

The dealer / importer selection has been kind of dried up but there's always auctions. The CMP recognizes the license as one of their requirements to buy from them.

It kind of depends on what you're buying. The hoops you have to jump through aren't too erroneous but I'm not sure I'll renew mine when it expires.
Old January 29, 2017, 10:15 PM   #6
OneFreeTexan

More C&R's than ever before

We are looking back to pre 1964,,,,does that date ring a bell... If it is in original condition and not modified it is a C& R.

Seems to me, far better that some of the old dusty military from wherever, now there are American made guns that were great then and are great now. I have found online dealers that understand C&R and I have picked up some incredible buys.
Old January 30, 2017, 07:39 AM   #7
Don P

I have come across dealers that don't care about the age of the firearm. A S&W made in the 50's is still being sold as a modern day firearm and the FFL does not have to sell it as a C&R if he chooses not to. Most FFL's will sell it as a modern firearm because of the fear the ATF imposes. Dealers are not willing to risk their license for the sake of selling a 60 year old revolver as a C&R that is NOT on the ATF's list
Old January 31, 2017, 07:57 PM   #8
Gaucho Gringo

Trouble is state laws have made C&R license useless on the whole West Coast. I let mine expire, hated to do so but it was useless where I live. Would like to move but due to age, disabilities & finances makes that only a dream unless I win the lottery. Wish that there was some way that trump could nullify these illegal laws.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old February 16, 2017, 12:00 PM   #9
scoobysnacker

Just where I live (Louisiana), I don't think so. I considered it awhile when I was getting surplus guns, and decided against it.
  • my state doesn't restrict anything that a C&R license would then allow
  • shipping to a local FFL seems to be a lot cheaper, and I found a FFL that will do a pistol transfer for $10
  • not having the license, I'm not required to keep a log book and won't be called to review it.
If I were in a state that limited what I could own but a C&R would give me more options, then I would consider it. Similarly, if the shipping would balance out, it might be more worth it... but I've seen guns that ship for $20, but $40+ as a C&R. With my FFL guy, I come out ahead by doing it the regular way, and I don't have to stay on top of any books.
Old February 16, 2017, 12:55 PM   #10
rr2241tx

Texas chose to retain their contiguous state restriction, so C&R is not worthless here. My friends' widows have about driven me into the Poor House the last few years. My wife hopes there's somebody left to buy my guns when it's my time.
Old February 17, 2017, 11:16 AM   #11
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2241tx
My wife hopes there's somebody left to buy my guns when it's my time.
She'll have no problem if she sells them for what you told her you paid for them.
Old March 4, 2017, 11:19 PM   #12
HankC1

Holding C&R helps me to show I am legal to own firearms when I do face to face since I'm not a concealed carrying license holder, more and more face to face only want to sell to folks with concealed carrying licenses or go thru FFL to make sure buyers are legal to own firearms. I have only bought 2 C&Rs in the past 5 or 6 yrs.
Old March 6, 2017, 11:31 AM   #13
BoogieMan

In NJ it makes no sense at all. NJ does not recognize the C&R license. Not sure how your home state works. It is worth investigating. Call your State Attorney General office or at least check on a message board such as this, except has a local presence to you.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 6, 2017, 03:40 PM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2241tx
Texas chose to retain their contiguous state restriction, so C&R is not worthless here.
I'm a bit late to this party, but I believe you are incorrect.

From the TX Penal Code:
Quote:
Sec. 46.07. INTERSTATE PURCHASE. A resident of this state may, if not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms, ammunition, reloading components, or firearm accessories in another state. This authorization is enacted in conformance with 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(3)(A).

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Renumbered from Penal Code Sec. 46.08 by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
Amended by:
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 280 (S.B. 1188), Sec. 1, eff. May 30, 2009.
The previous version of Section 46.07 before the 2009 amendment said "contiguous states" in place of "another state." This referred to an obsolete contiguous-state restriction in the 68 GCA. After the contiguous-state provision was struck from federal law, Section 46.07 became ambiguous and arguably unenforceable because it didn't clearly address non-contiguous states; however, the post-amendment version makes it affirmatively clear that out-of-state long-gun purchases are allowed.

FWIW I allowed my C&R license to lapse several years ago simply because I wasn't using it very often and I didn't want to pay the renewal fee.
Old March 14, 2017, 06:21 PM   #15
North East Redneck

I'm in MA, I know a guy at work has one. I don't see the point in getting one here.
Old March 15, 2017, 10:25 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

For the thirty bucks it was worth it just incase there is a new influx of great milsurp guns. Just mailed my 5th renewal yesterday. Hoping that with a new political climate in Washington (DC, not Left Coast) there will be more things imported.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 16, 2017, 12:49 AM   #17
Bill DeShivs

If you are into small guns, ALL of the guns that GCA '68 banned from importation will be C&Rs soon.
Old March 17, 2017, 01:03 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

While politics does influence imports, the bad/good news is that we have not had a major war for 70 years or so, so the supply of military surplus weapons is drying up. Those huge warehouses full of Mausers, Enfields, Carcanos, and Mosin-Nagants just don't exist any more; the guns are gone. (Dick Winter, VP of Interarms, once wondered aloud, "Where do they go, where do they all go?")

And current military small arms are made in smaller numbers (no more armies of millions) and rifles are usually selective fire, less likely to be released to the civilian market. Add the current leftist/anti-war political sentiment, and I doubt we will ever again see the surplus arms market that we had in the 1945-1970 period.

Jim
Old March 17, 2017, 06:39 PM   #19
OneFreeTexan

They are still here

I agree that the barrel fills of Enfields, Nagents, etc, etc, at the local harware store for $9.95 are gone, However that does not mean the guns themselves are gone, Many were bought to sporterize, and it never happened, Other were bought "just because'.. The guns are still there, maybe in a back closet, a garage or an attic. Those guns were almost indestructible. We just need to look a little harder for them. I can't believe the good buys I have made at garage sales, and such..."Oh, that old gun, I don't think it works,, gramps has it for years. Yeah, give me ten bucks for it"
The search makes it even more fun..
Old March 20, 2017, 06:25 PM   #20
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker
shipping to a local FFL seems to be a lot cheaper, and I found a FFL that will do a pistol transfer for $10
Do you think you will buy three in the next three years? If so, then you break even. Does LA charge a fee for background checks? My state does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker
not having the license, I'm not required to keep a log book and won't be called to review it.
Extremely unlikely. Yes, it is possible that ATF could call and ask to audit your book and firearms, but in reality that almost never happens, and if it did, they can't just show up at your door and demand to see your bound book, you can make an appointment and do it at their office. See 18 USC 923 (g)(1)(D).
Old March 21, 2017, 07:51 AM   #21
98 220 swift

Mine is due for renewal in july. Still debating on renewing it. Hoping new admin may make it more easy for some old guns to be imported but I have been out of the old gun kick for a few years. It is only $30 but I also don't want to have a chance of a audit and have to sweat over it. I have heard its not that bad but I would guess that would come down to what agent you get.
Old March 21, 2017, 07:59 AM   #22
Don P

Quote:
not having the license, I'm not required to keep a log book and won't be called to review it.
You have a better chance of getting hit by lightening that getting audited.

Quote:
It is only $30 but I also don't want to have a chance of a audit and have to sweat over it. I have heard its not that bad but I would guess that would come down to what agent you get.
See above. Please provide a link to information about a C&R FFL holder being audited and having problems. I would be more worried about getting hit by a truck, car wreck driving to work, or being involved in a shoot out defending myself
Old April 10, 2017, 08:45 PM   #23
Cary Gunn

Gents,

I'm wondering if any of you has any "insider" knowledge of if and/or when the new Washington, D.C. administration will clear the books of the Obama-era firearm import restrictions and once again allow importation of military surplus firearms.

I'm no expert on the politics of the matter, but it's my understanding that President Trump need only "say the word" to strike down Obama's "executive orders" and the State Department's arbitrary ban on importation of military surplus firearms.

Anyone know if Trump has done so yet?

Surely, somebody out there has some reliable information on the matter.
If so, please share the knowledge.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --