The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2000, 04:57 PM   #1
Bullwhip

1.Is it possible to cast pure, silver bullets?

2. Also, if you handloaded some cartriges with these, are they actually fireable? Would they do the gun any damage if they were fired?

Explanation for above:
1. I am looking to do a nice presentation for a friend.
2. Purely movie curiosity.

Sorry, I don't know of any werewolf hunts up in Canada.

Old January 29, 2000, 11:23 PM   #2
Banzai

I've had a local jewler make several for me and friends over the last year or so. We use a Lee mold, and cast as for lead, but in a jewler's cruciable, as silver has a lot higher melting point. Size and lube as for lead, polish as you like! I loaded some 38, some 357, and some 9mm. All went bang when tested! Werewolves, beware!

------------------
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!
Old January 30, 2000, 05:19 AM   #3
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullwhip:
1.Is it possible to cast pure, silver bullets[/quote]

Yes it is possible. Whenever I'm asked if I want a beer and am handed a Coors I cast it into the nearest garbage can or, if out side, as far as I can.

Coors... Beer? HA!!

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"
Old January 31, 2000, 01:01 AM   #4
Walt Welch

Legend has it that in the Middle Ages, in Europe, there was a theological debate about whether the firearm, with its' sulphuric smelling discharge, and whine of the projectile was evil or not.

Thus, were cast several balls of silver and lead. Each had a cross inscribed upon it, was blessed by a bishop, and sprinkled with holy water.

The lead balls were more accurate. This lead to the belief that there was a demon on each one, accounting for the sulfurous smell, and whining noise.

It was not considered that the silver, being harder, did not engrave the rifling as well as the lead.

So it goes. Walt
Old January 31, 2000, 12:06 PM   #5
Bullwhip

Thanks everyone!
Old January 31, 2000, 09:29 PM   #6
Chad Young

Laser-Cast makes a wide array of silver-alloy bulllets that are safe to shoot in just about anything. I am thinking of picking up some and loading them up in my .357 magnum nickel cases. Cabelas has them and they advertise in Shotgun news.

I wonder if silver alloy bullets will still stop werewolves?

Old May 31, 2000, 03:59 PM   #7
Solitar

Some Gold & Silverbugs have been discussing over at Kitco.com the idea of casting Silver bullets. Does anyone do it commercially? Are there sources for complete reloaded brass (likely without powder since selling "ammo" requires a license)