The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 19, 2001, 10:41 PM   #1
Charmedlyfe

Finally!!! Cleaning Packing Grease Easily

I just got some new Uzi mags from DSA today, and they were packed heavilyin cosmoline. I was really dreading the job of cleaning them up, so I did something really unusual. I went out to the garage and got my bottle of CMT Formula 2050 (used for cleaning router bits and saw blades) and sprayed it on. I let it sit for a couple minutes (about two), then took a cloth and wiped them off. NOT A TRACE OF COSMOLINE LEFT ON THE MAGS!!!!!

Now, for some heavy concentrations, I had to spray twice (I mean thick and dried!), but it still just wiped off, leaving a clean surface. I can't believe it!

The CMT 2050 is NON-TOXIC, NON-FLAMMABLE, BIODEGRADABLE, and NO FUMES. Will not rust metal (in fact, it prevents rust on bits and blades). It is kind of expensive, averaging $8.50 for 16oz spray bottle, and about $30 for a gallon (I think). Get it at any woodworking shop that sells CMT products.

This stuff is perfect for those of us who don't have a super-duper workshop and have to work indoors. Best yet, it WILL NOT damage finishes!!!!!!
Old October 20, 2001, 04:37 AM   #2
slickpuppy

CL,
Have you tried it on wood stocks at all?
Old October 20, 2001, 09:11 AM   #3
Charmedlyfe

Yes.....doesn't bother the stock at all. oil-finished wood and coated (poly) are both fine. Weird. It did take the top layer of grime/grease off the wood, though. No damaging or staining, though.