The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 30, 2017, 10:24 PM   #1
Eazyeach

Aero Precision 18"

Anyone have a Aero Precision 18" complete upper? Recently I made the mistake of checking out a DD M4V11 pro at the local fun shop and fell in love with it. It is a sweet gun, but it's too much money, so my plan is to assemble a poor man's version. Which brings me to the AP question.

First of all I don't need this weapon for anything. I just want a SPR type gun for grins and giggles and maybe the occasional coyote or groundhog elimination. The Aero Precision uppers look really well made so I'm thinking about grabbing one of those and dropping a Geiselle trigger in my SW lower. I've got a Leupold 2-8 scope and mount to put on it as well.

Hopefully this will scratch my itch and save me a boatload of money.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:44 AM   #2
Coloradohtr

I don't have an 18" but I do have a 16" M4E1 Aero Precision with the Aero ambi charging handle, a 15" keymod handguard with a Magpul angled grip, a Harris bipod out front and I love it. I have an Anderson lower and a Patriot Ordnance Factory single stage 3.5 pound straight trigger with the anti roll pins, Magpul 6 position stock and a Hogue pistol grip. I did have a Magpul pistol grip but found the Hogue to be more comfortable. It's topped off with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x on a Warren tactical mount and a Vortex Venom 3moa red dot at a 45 degree angle. It is a scary accurate AR.

There is one down side to them that I experienced and I don't know if it was just my upper or what. I ordered it and paid extra for the fast shipping. It turns out they had to build it because at the time they didn't have it in stock so it took about a month to get to me. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with an Aero upper. These guys build parts for aircraft and space shuttles. Their machining is very good. I have shot a few DD rifles that my friends have and honestly I like my Aero/Anderson better. I say go for it.
Old May 1, 2017, 05:39 AM   #3
Targa

I have the 16" M4E1 as well, excellent upper. My shipping experience was the same as Colorado's......SLOOWWWWW.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Eazyeach

Thanks for the info. Slow shipping won't bother me too much. Good to know that before I order one though.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:07 AM   #5
rickyrick

Never owned any complete item from them, but a good deal of my parts are from AeroPrecision. Wouldn't hesitate on a complete reciever or rifle from them.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:19 PM   #6
lordmorgul

Love Aero Precision, I have two 16" barrels (one the AP midlength standard profile (not pencil, no m4 cuts), and second one the Ballistic Advantage BA Hanson 16" midlength. Both are great barrels, mid weight. Wish I had one of the two as 18" SPR though so another Aero/BA upper is in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 3, 2017, 02:12 AM   #7
SDF880

Just took my Aero Precision 18 inch Wylde 223 out last week-end and wow!
250M ringing the target consistently! My first AP upper and very pleased!
Old May 3, 2017, 05:02 AM   #8
Eazyeach

SDF880, is that the stainless 18 inch upper? I'm glad you're happy with it. I think I might order one today. I was on the fence and considering spending a little bit more for a BCM, but I think I'll just save the extra $300 for a nice trigger. Thanks
Old May 8, 2017, 09:08 PM   #9
shaunpain

Late to the party, but if I'm not mistaken, I thought AP made the BCM receivers in whole or in part. I've only ordered parts from them, but have done so many times and shipping was fast. They are my go-to unless I can get a better price elsewhere, but their receivers are so inexpensive and high quality that they are all I purchase. The Ballistic Advantage barrels are fantastic for the money, especially if they go on sale!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old May 9, 2017, 12:04 AM   #10
SDF880

SDF880, is that the stainless 18 inch upper? I'm glad you're happy with it. I think I might order one today. I was on the fence and considering spending a little bit more for a BCM, but I think I'll just save the extra $300 for a nice trigger. Thanks

Yes it is! I kept the upper all Aero Precision and went with the AP Nickel Boron BCG and the AP ambi charging handle. I mated it with an Anderson lower and trigger group and it turned out extremely well! I'm good with the Anderson trigger so far!

ps, sorry for slow reply!
Old May 9, 2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Eazyeach

SDF880, no worries about the late reply. I'm in a bit of a holding pattern anyway. I've got some money set aside for an upper and trigger but I've got a physical next week and I'm afraid to spend the cash until/if I pass my physical. I'm a fat diabetic truck driver and I gotta make sure they'll let me keep working before i spend for unnecessary things.

Thanks for answering my question. Better late than never.
Old May 18, 2017, 07:55 PM   #12
Eazyeach

Well, I passed my physical so I celebrated by getting a Geiselle ssa-e trigger. And that thing is sweet. I've never shot an AR15 with anything other than milspec triggers and now I don't know if I can go back to milspec. I might be spoiled.

I'm using it on a 16" bcm middie right now, still haven't decided on a spr/varmint type upper yet. Thanks for your replies and I'll let you know if I get an aero upper or not.
Old May 18, 2017, 08:26 PM   #13
rickyrick

I got a g2s, a cheaper model, and I love it. Same as you, Now I'm eyeballing all my lowers.