The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 12, 2017, 05:53 PM   #26
disseminator

300 blackout of course.

I just finished building my first AR, in 300 blk. I handload and the brass availability is one huge advantage to the 300 over other caliber conversions in the AR15, though some others share that advantage as well.

I have loaded from 125g Nosler BT to 210g Nosler ABLR and many in between. They are all accurate and are really fun to shoot from the AR.

For me it was a no brainer.
Old March 12, 2017, 09:33 PM   #27
surveyor

I'm thinking of something in 6 mm
Lots of choices there from simple neck up to more involved case forming
Good selection of bullets with good bc.
Common parts as far as bolt size and magazines

6x45,6 mongoose,6 brx,6 mm ar, 6 fat rat, 6 mm lynx,
Among others.

But, my choice is influenced a lot by the other 6 mm I load for.
Old March 12, 2017, 09:35 PM   #28
amprecon

6.8 for me, won't even consider anything else
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old March 13, 2017, 12:34 AM   #29
DubC-Hicks

I think I have two more AR15s planned. A KS-47 from Palmetto because an AR that takes AK mags would be nice.

And an 18" 6.5 Grendel. 6.5 appeals to me because it's a great round for any game around here (hogs, deer), and because steel case ammo is available for it for cheap plinking. Only problem is I want an 18" chrome lined barrel so it'll hold up better to steel, and it's very hard to find that in 6.5 Grendel.
Old March 13, 2017, 02:41 AM   #30
Old Stony

I'm in the process of amassing parts to build a 6.5 Creedmore. I use that caliber a lot anymore in a couple bolt actions and love it. I've shot deer and a lot of hogs with it...which will continue to occur. This build will get my night vision on it.
Old March 13, 2017, 05:54 AM   #31
stagpanther

Creedmoor makes for a great AR build--but it gets heavy fast. 260 rem is just as good for the most part--with the advantage of cheaper/more plentiful cases if you reload.
Old March 13, 2017, 06:06 AM   #32
ligonierbill

I will pick up a RRA lower from my dealer this afternoon. I think I'll get the parts and any tools I'm missing, and finish that while I contemplate the upper. Of course, it doesn't look like many people build just one. Could get ugly. But I still think I'll stay with 5.56 for this one. I bought that Doublestar a few years ago out of curiosity, and it is surprisingly accurate with the right load. I'm thinking it would be nice to have one that is extremely accurate. I load and shoot dozens of calibers, which puts me between "what's one more?" and "not another one!", but I think I'll duck that for now. Again, thanks for sharing your views and experience.
Old March 13, 2017, 10:16 AM   #33
doofus47

but if I had all the world and time and $, I'd build a 25 wssm.
Old March 13, 2017, 11:12 AM   #34
Ocraknife

7.62x39 because the ammo is affordable and I love the round.

my very close second place would be .308 for the same reasons + it's considerably more powerful.

-Jimro
Old March 14, 2017, 12:07 PM   #35
bfoosh006

A highly accurate AR15 in 5.56 / .223 will be a lot of fun.

And with the right ammo... it will be boringly accurate !

I will say... if you do end up building it yourself... this article might help.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ffers-answers/

I wish ( and will eventually ) I had "Trued the Receiver Face".... I can't help but wonder if my first 2-3 cold bore shots would be minimized by this.

And buy an outstanding reputation barrel. You won't wonder if a "better" barrel wouldn't shoot better.

I have a Krieger... and love it, but I will try a Bartlein next... strictly based on how many of the guys run them v. Krieger.
Old March 14, 2017, 01:02 PM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
I will say... if you do end up building it yourself... this article might help....
I wish ( and will eventually ) I had "Trued the Receiver Face".... I can't help but wonder if my first 2-3 cold bore shots would be minimized by this.

And buy an outstanding reputation barrel. You won't wonder if a "better" barrel wouldn't shoot better.

I have a Krieger... and love it, but I will try a Bartlein next... strictly based on how many of the guys run them v. Krieger.
Doesn't mention trigger--that would be in the top 3 on my list. No way I would glue a barrel into the receiver though.
Old March 14, 2017, 01:04 PM   #37
Siggy-06

Looking really hard at the 6.5 Grendel...
Old March 14, 2017, 01:07 PM   #38
stagpanther

Quote:
Looking really hard at the 6.5 Grendel...
No respectable AR-head can consider their collection complete without a good grendel.
Old March 14, 2017, 01:15 PM   #39
ed308

I like how all the photos are with a 6mm AR. I'm sure that bullet had something to do with the accuracy. Never mentioned trigger (very important) and glass (also important). And I've never used Blue Loctite on my barrel extension. I do true all my upper receivers. Hmm..., maybe if I do the extras mentioned I can skip the trigger and my groups will go .5" to .3" in my groups.
Old March 14, 2017, 01:20 PM   #40
bfoosh006

Frankly, I figured the trigger and glass was given... and a personal choice.

ed308... as for the truing of the receiver face.. perhaps you could expand on the merits of that.

Lol... I feel like going home and doing it now... Just for my own peace of mind.
Old March 14, 2017, 01:26 PM   #41
stagpanther

I think the article was aimed at race-gun builders : ) But I do believe in truing the face of the upper--even in run-of-the-mill parts truing the face will up the odds of happier meetings between the bolt and the extension--lots of other "AR issues" tend to go away when that happens in my experience.
Old March 14, 2017, 01:26 PM   #42
FairWarning

6.5 Nightstalker. Err, I mean Grendel.
Old March 14, 2017, 01:37 PM   #43
ed308

ed308... as for the truing of the receiver face.. perhaps you could expand on the merits of that.

I do it so I don't have to cant the rear sight or scope to far to the left or right. That's is the only reason I do it. Some uppers don't need to be squared. But I do it on build since it only take 5-10 mins.

Last edited by ed308; March 14, 2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old March 14, 2017, 02:05 PM   #44
stagpanther

My personal theory for the benefit--shall I say BIG benefit--of truing the receiver face: it enhances the odds of the extension and bolt carrier being in true while cycling, that makes everything happen better. I have AR's which I haven't trued that shoot just fine--but they seem to have higher rates of case damage, occassional cycling issues etc. Not that a trued receiver will eliminate those things--but does reduce them IMO.

Which brings me to another one of my pet theories which I can't prove--the inherent accuracy of a given cartridge can be reduced somewhat by the damage--even slight--that it encounters in the process of being chambered. Thus--the smoother (more trued) the cycling is, the less likely the cartridge is going to suffer (and performance is better/more consistent).

Could be totally off my rocker tho.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 14, 2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old March 14, 2017, 02:43 PM   #45
bfoosh006

stagpanther ....Vern juenke machine, you should look it up.

I remember reading somewhere... many decades ago... that even dropping a box of bullets would effect the spin / balance , ever so slightly.

( At longer ranges, and I am not convinced it worked... but on paper it looked good. )

Just something interesting.

Last edited by bfoosh006; March 14, 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old March 14, 2017, 03:14 PM   #46
ligonierbill

Well guys, I cheated. I'll work the lower, but I decided to order a complete upper from White Oak. I probably could have saved a couple bucks, but this rifle is going to come in right about $1,000 before optics. Not at all a top end piece, but I'm already having fun with this project.

About optics, I put a flip up aperture on the Doublestar, which is now going to be assigned to range fun, and if it ever comes to that, defense. I had a Bushnell "AR Optics" 1-4X inexpensive scope on it that will be the starter for this new guy. I actually like it, but I want more magnification. The mission is wacking coyotes at, say, 400 max (more likely 300). Not going into competition. Nothing too fancy, but good glass. What's your recommendation? Oh, budget...less than the gun.
Old March 14, 2017, 03:30 PM   #47
stagpanther

Quote:
stagpanther ....Vern juenke machine, you should look it up.
At first I thought that was German for "my junk" but this thing is for real! Very cool--though my reloads are probably DOA before even trying something like this.
Old March 15, 2017, 09:21 AM   #48
laxpatrick

I've done the 6.5 Grendel and .300 BO.

To do it over I might've changed from the Grendel to a 6.8SPC. The fact that you have to use special mags (pretty much) bolt and barrel vs. just the barrel is a primary rationale.

I handload, so the Grendel is fine. Actually pretty happy with the .300BO, shooting supersonics but then all of my deer shooting happens inside of 110 yards...

LAX
Old March 16, 2017, 01:13 PM   #49
Tallest

I would agree with the 6.8spc crowd.

I just finished a .300 Blackout this past weekend. I already like it a lot! Here in VA you can't shoot deer with a .223/5.56, so a larger bullet was necessary, and I was in a hurry to get something readily available.

If I do another build, it will definitely be a 6.8spc. Then, down the road, I'll move up to the AR10 platform and build a 6.5 Creedmore, bandwagon though it be.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old April 11, 2017, 12:30 PM   #50
CombatDiver

Hands down, 300 AAC Blackout is the answer!