The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 20, 2013, 08:29 AM   #1
AH.74

The MA Proposals

I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread with this right up top, so as not to be missed within the other thread.

Speaking as someone formerly from there, I think they have lost their minds. These things are unbelievable and make the new laws in NY pale in comparison. There is just no explaining how targeting legal gun owners like this has any effect on crime and safety. It's insanity at its very worst, in the very birthplace of our nation. God help us.

http://www.goal.org/action-alert.htm...tion+League%29

•10 round magazines loaded with more than 7 rounds, punishable by more than two years in jail.
•Magazines containing more than 10 rounds, punishable by up to 10 years in jail.
•Potential confiscation of lawfully purchased long guns and high capacity magazines (greater than 10 round capacity).
•A complete ban on semi-automatic rifles with certain cosmetic features. (AR type rifles)
•Up to 2 ½ years in jail for receiving more than 1 gun or magazine in a 30-day period.
•Mandatory large capacity guns storage at gun clubs instead of in home.
•Lawful private sales recorded on FA-10 forms will no longer be allowed.
•Ban "high power" ammunition. (there's been no definition provided as to what that is)
•Expanding local licensing authorities discretion to deny or restrict licenses to all guns including FID cards.
•Mandatory insurance for all firearms owners.
•New proposed sales tax aimed at firearms/ammo purchase. (this has not been clarified)
•Mental and physical health waivers to be signed upon applying for a gun license
•Creating new crimes of assault with a firearm that requires no physical action by the lawful possessor
Old January 20, 2013, 08:48 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

So what is the "insurance" supposed to do? Is it for theft, fire or to compensate the victims if one was to go crazy and do something stupid?
Old January 20, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
FlyFish

Quote:
So what is the "insurance" supposed to do? Is it for theft, fire or to compensate the victims if one was to go crazy and do something stupid?
The latter, but also including compensation for the victim(s) if a gun is stolen and used in a crime. Which will mean, of course, providing the insurance company with a list of your guns and their SNs, storing them as the insurance company dictates, allowing them not to insure you if you have something they don't like, letting them know when you buy a new gun, etc., etc. Like most everything else gun-related in Massachusetts, the object is simply to make it so onerous to be a law-abiding gun owner that you finally give up and go play golf, or take up a second job so you can pay your taxes.

The only answer is to get out, and get out now. There's a time to try to save the ship and a time to face reality and abandon ship. The time for Massachusetts gun owners to abandon ship came years ago. It's never going to get better, it will only get worse. I got out and it was the best decision I ever made.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Alabama Shooter

So it would be a felony to load eight rounds into a ten round magazine? I guess I made my last trip there and did not even know it.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:27 AM   #5
HarrySchell

The insurance and special taxes are a tactic to raise the cost of owning firearms to eliminate ownership by those at the lower end of the economic spectrum.
The elite wealthy will be okay.

CA has done similar things, some less overt, to make firearms as expensive as possible. It has a racial and socio-economic discriminatory outcome in disarming those most likely to be exposed to violent crime, but that is I guess a feature, not a bug, in the program.

This will get cut down, and the vagueness of the ammo ban may get it tossed in court (CA tried a similar ban and it lost on challenge).

The naked intent is clear. Sandy Hook is an excuse.

This is the original list of particulars desired in NY state:
1. Confiscation of “assault weapons”
2. Confiscation of ten round clips
3. Statewide database for ALL Guns
4. Continue to allow pistol permit holder’s information to be replaced to the public
5. Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as “assault weapons”
6. Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
7. Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
8. Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
9. Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
10. Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
11. State issued pistol permits
12. Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State
13. Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
14. Mandatory locking of guns at home
15. Fee for licensing, registering weapons

MA is "improving" on the NY list.

Last edited by HarrySchell; January 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6
CaptainTrips

Quote:
Up to 2 ½ years in jail for receiving more than 1 gun or magazine in a 30-day period.
So if you were to buy a new gun and it came with two magazines you could go to jail?
Old January 20, 2013, 12:35 PM   #7
SonOfLiberty

Not only that, but it sounds as if you are responsible for keeping track of the purchases/dates, and the "background check" won't stop you from exceeding the one per month rule. (you'll get a green light to buy, infer that means you're within the law, but find yourself in handcuffs shortly after.)
Old January 20, 2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Ben Towe

Not much silliness that comes out of Massachusetts surprises me. The last time I was in Boston they had a billboard the size of a big rig advocating some kind of gun control or other. Not only that but I nearly froze because it was illegal to idle my truck for more than three minutes at the truck stop... in the dead of winter. Any idiot who comes up with a law like that is sure to get behind draconian gun laws. What would the founders say if they came back and saw Massachusetts today? It's truly sad.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Texshooter

Let S&W

know if they don't move out of MA, they will be boycotted by American gun owners.

Who here is going to contribute to MA via the S&W corp. taxes paid to the state?

Insanity.

Only buy from Manf. in Free States.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:54 PM   #10
AH.74

Quote:
The last time I was in Boston they had a billboard the size of a big rig advocating some kind of gun control or other.
I bet you're you're talking about this one, which was along the Mass. Pike right behind Fenway Park. Lousy pics from my old phone which did not have zoom. I took these in June 2009, the last time I was back.

Old January 20, 2013, 05:42 PM   #11
FlyFish

The guy responsible for that billboard (along the back side of the centerfield bleachers at Fenway Park), which changes its anti-gun message from time to time, is Boston developer John Rosenthal, founder along with Michael (son of Robert) Kennedy, of an organization named Stop Handgun Violence. Rosenthal was previously instrumental in a group named the American Hunters and Shooters Association, which pretended to be a pro-gun alternative to the NRA but was in fact an anti-gun organization from the get go.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Ben Towe

AH.74- I believe that's it, sir.