The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 21, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Samuel2011

Ruger Single-Six Question

Hi guys! Not too big of a revolver guy, although I do own a couple.

Well, I just stopped at a local pawn shop out of curiosity to investigate if they carried firearms (I live in So. Cal. ) and to my surprise they do!

In the gun case they have a Ruger Single-Six in what apears to be a flat top fixed sight configuration, 5 1/2" barrel and in a solid 90% condition. The Pawn shop is asking $300 and I was wondering if this is a decent price since I haven't shopped for a Single-Six ever. So I don't know what they go for.

That flat top with a fixed sight in a dove tail just looks really cool to me.

So, what do you guys and gals think go or no go for the three bills?
Old September 21, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Bob Wright

I'd scarf that up in a minute! Check for the model: if its the "Three Screw" model or New Model. The Three Screw model is pre-1973 and lacks the transfer bar safety (maybe) and can be identified by the three screws with slotted heads in the frame. If its the New Model it will have two pins in the frame, no slots. Also the hammer will have a notch in its face when the hammer is pulled back.

If it is a three screw, it may have been converted by Ruger to install the transfer bar safety. No matter which model, $300 is a pretty good price.

Unaltered Three Screw Models usually bring slightly higher prices as they are more desired by Ruger enthusiasts, especially if unaltered.

Bob Wright

P.S. Blue, or stainless? Grips, wood or black plastic?
Old September 21, 2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Samuel2011

Bob, I didn't notice if it had screws or pins, since I didn't know there was a difference. I did notice the grip frame and the tube that rides along the barrel are black anodized aluminum.

It only has slight bluing wear to the outer front edge of the barrel and slightly on the edge of the front and rear sight corners. No dings or scratches.

It's blued with wood grips.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Bob Wright

From that it could be either model.

Why are you sitting there at your computer? Hie yourself down there to that store!

Bob Wright
Old September 22, 2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Good price either way.
BTW, "altered" or converted with the safety bar does not affect the collectors value. Ruger returns all original parts and the revolver can be un-converted at any time. Do get the safety conversion if it is not in the gun. Very good thing for actual use.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Bob Wright

Unfortunately, used Rugers that have been converted often lack the original parts. Either they were misplaced or sold by the owner, as they do bring a rather handsome price. And finding these is somewhat of an ordeal. I bought two .357 Magnum Blackhawks and it took more than a little effort to find the parts to put my guns back in original shape.

I've had three three screw models that had been converted. One was a Super Blackhawk, and the conversion parts made it an awful mess actionwise. I have stockpiled a few parts for un-converting any future purchases.

Bob Wright
Old September 22, 2012, 05:47 PM   #7
SHR970

Based on the So. Cal. prices I know that is a good deal. Better get it if you want it. It won't be around for long.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Hawg

I recently sold this one for 400.

Old September 23, 2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Single Six

The TFL name that I post under should be a good tip-off as to what I'd suggest.
Old September 23, 2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776
BTW, "altered" or converted with the safety bar does not affect the collectors value. Ruger returns all original parts and the revolver can be un-converted at any time. Do get the safety conversion if it is not in the gun. Very good thing for actual use.
The fact that Ruger returns the parts doesn't mean they stay with the gun. And I do not agree that having the conversion done doesn't affect the value of the gun. The reality is, people are willing to pay more for 3-screw models that have not been converted. That's just fact.

As for "Do get the safety conversion," I think that's debatable. I know if I could find an unconverted 3-screw model, I certainly wouldn't have it converted. As it is, I own a new-model Ruger Single Six and another .22 six-shooter that has a conventional hammer-mounted firing pin. I mostly shoot the traditional one, and the Ruger stays at home.
Old September 25, 2012, 01:37 AM   #11
Samuel2011

Update!!!

Well, I checked my finances and found I wouldn't be able to get the Ruger this week. I'd forgotten vehicle registration on two vehicles is due, as well as insurance(Registration is expensive in CA and insurance is thru the roof with a teenage driver!). All this has to happen before the end of the week.

Went back to the Place where I'd seen the Single-Six, to salivate over it again. It is a three screw and seems like the upgrade has been done to it. Oh, and it comes with a little holster.

Well, I got to talking with the guy and told him I liked it, but didnt have to money this week and to my surprize the guy said "Don't worry, whats your name? I'll set it aside for 10-12 days. Will that work?"

I couldn't believe that!!! The not so evil after all pawn shop guy is holding that bad boy for me !!!
Old September 25, 2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

FWIW, new, blued SS is factory SRP $559.00.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Slopemeno

Sounds like somebody has a new favorite gun store...
Old September 25, 2012, 12:05 PM   #14
Samuel2011

In deed! I will be shopping there way more often
Old September 25, 2012, 12:28 PM   #15
Gdawgs

Nice! Post some pics when you pick it up. Sounds like a great deal.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:39 PM   #16
LarryNTX

Samuel, did you check to make sure that the pistol has the L.R. cylinder installed and not the magnum cylinder? It would be a real bummer to get the pistol home and discover that you can only shoot magnums in it.
Old October 21, 2012, 01:07 AM   #17
Samuel2011

Update w./pic

Well, ladies and gents, its been three long weeks and I was finally able to pick up my Ruger Single-Six.

When I got home with my new toy this afternoon, I gave it a really good bath. It has virtually no internal wear but does have some external holster wear, no biggie.

I did notice once I had the cylinder out of the frame that when the hammer is resting on the frame/firing pin, the firing pin sticks out of the frame a bit. I guess the upgrade hasn't been done after all. I feel like I really scored.

Its got a six digit serial and starts with 444XXX, anyone have an idea of what its DOB may be?

I was trying to upload pics but the file size was too large, I'll try again later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS Right.JPG (86.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg SS Left.JPG (85.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SS Holster.JPG (86.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Samuel2011; October 21, 2012 at 02:35 AM.