The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 2012, 08:47 AM   #26
jhog1

Here's what you need to do..... first send up a flare to illuminate the area then hit him with the 00 buckshot followed by a round of fletchetts then set him on fire with a 12ga Dragons Breath before the fire goes out, run up and finish him off with your glock

Quote:
I must not forget that I should also be getting a far greater price per head. Roughly 2-6 cents per round as opposed to the considerably intolerable approxamite 1 dollar per shotshell

Dang I forgot about the price per head..........I would just shoot him with the .22 and bury him in the yard since the price of an average coon pelt isn't worth the time to skin & flesh them.
Old March 13, 2012, 08:57 AM   #27
C0untZer0

Double-door trap with Friskies salmon flavored cat food.

Trap has to be secured against tipping as does the cat-food tin to the trap floor to prevent tipping / sliding.

You can reuse the trap for decades and it also can be used for skunks, muskrat, ground hogs.

Simple single door rabbit / ground hog traps don't work so well on coons though, they're smart enough to work the latch.

It sounds though like you have your heart set on using a raccoon for test media for your shotgun.
Old March 13, 2012, 10:14 AM   #28
Hansam

A 12ga, 18" barrel with an open cylinder shooting steel bird shot would be effective on raccoons but at a much closer range than with a .22 rifle.

IF you MUST use a 12ga rifle and especially with an 18" barrel I'd strongly suggest using a modified choke for a tighter pattern. Shooting #4 shot would be advisable as well since you'll get more energy deliverance upon impact but it should still produce a good dense pattern. Of course this is also assuming you have no desire to sell the pelts. If pest disposal is all you want then with a shotgun this would probably be the best route.

That said I much prefer a rifle for the job. I use a .22lr (10/22) or a .22WMR (Savage) for killing raccoons and other varmints. Typically the .22lr is for out to 50yds and the .22wmr is for varmints out to 125yds. If they're within 25yds I use my Single Six loaded with 40gr HP .22WMR.

The cost of ammo (especially the ammo you described) is ridiculously high for just varminting. My guess is you're really going more for a "cool" factor and not so much an effectiveness factor. Really you should just try to dispose of the critters as quickly, cleanly and painlessly as possible. The rig you described is not quick, messy and most likely will result in a very painful death.

Also another thing - at 3 yrs old your dog should be well trained and know enough not to run off. Any (yes ANY) dog can be trained by the age of 18 months old to be obedient (in other words obeys all commands they're given) and also respect boundaries (as well as knowing the boundaries). By 3 yrs old the dog is a mature dog and is not too young to know any better. My wife's 5 month old puppy doesn't take off when let outside to do her business and she almost always comes to us on call. Just a couple more weeks of reinforcing the "here" command and she'll have a 100% recall. You shouldn't have to wait till they're 9 to be able to trust that they'll stay around the house.
Old March 13, 2012, 11:18 AM   #29
ocharry

well,,maybe i should just be quiet about the coon killin,,BUT here we go

just remember if you are going to use STEEL you are going to pick up a choke,,,SO if you are shooting an open barrel you could be at a loose modified choke,,at best and tight improved cylinder at worst

steel is one of those things we are all going to have to use in the future,, and i was never a steel guy until i went to a shooting seminar put on by the state here where i live,,man what an eye opener

the state furnished the shells and instructors,, all i had to bring was lunch and a shot gun,,,the gun i was shooting was an old double i have cut to 24" cylinder bore,,i used it for cowboy action when i was doing that a lot

they were throwing clays for us,,i was shooting steel 8's outa my ol double and grinding those birds to smoke,, the yardage varied from incoming at 20yrds to passing at 30-35,,,to out going at 40+,,,,this was the very first time i had ever used STEEL shot,,,i will tell ya i was really impressed,,all the BS i have heard went right out the door

this smaller shot size may or may not work for coons,,, BUT,, i would definitely get the biggest shot size in steel you can find,, i don't know much about steel shot sizes,,, but BB's should work just fine,,if you can get bigger stuff try a box of that

you should put it on a pattern board to see what your gun will do with it,,,once you see where it patterns and what the pattern looks like,, you will know if it will work or not,,,try it at 35yrds,,,i bet you will be surprised with steel,,i know i was

a .22 on a running coon,,,ya right,,,a body shot won't do it,,, i pick the scatter gun

MY .02 YMMV

ocharry
Old March 13, 2012, 12:24 PM   #30
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I haven't killed many coons with shotguns, but the ones I have fell to 5 or 6 shot in field loads.Works well up to 25 yards, maybe further.
Old March 13, 2012, 10:16 PM   #31
Colorado Redneck

Bird shot penetration

5's and 6's don't penetrate very good, even on gel tests. Regardless of how much you dislike these critters, they deserve a quick death. Dead Coyote T Heavy Shot rounds, #4 buck, #1 shot, 00 buck.
Old March 13, 2012, 10:34 PM   #32
SHR970

The following generalizations are typically used where waterfowling is concerned:

1) Steel shot patterns at least one choke tighter out of a fixed / non steel specific choke.

2) Choose two sizes larger that you would normally use with lead. If you would use #4 lead go to #2 steel.

3) Velocity is more important than payload weight. Steel loses velocity and energy quicker.

4) Ricochet is a much bigger issue with steel than lead.

If you want to use steel, #2 , 1, B, or BB will do the job at the specified range; assuming your gun will pattern it well enough. Some gun just won't pattern some brands of ammo for anything.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:55 AM   #33
doctor_brevic

As for the dog thing, couldn't agree more! He obeys commands excellently but if I'm not there to give them then he might go taking off somewhere, either chasing or exploring. I hear it can have something to do with not being neutered. Anyways he does fine when I'm out with him and he'd probably be fine at this point alone as well. I'll give him a chance. As for the critter gitter I might be well suited to use my 28" weatherby with choke tubes. A .22 works great if they aren't moving!
Old March 14, 2012, 12:29 PM   #34
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Dark thirty at night, neighbors house 200 yards straight east of me and raccoon on the east end of the porch getting into my birdseed. Not shooting a rifle whether it is rimfire or center fire so that leaves shotgun. I hate to tell you 'birdshot is for birds' preachers but #4 birdshot at 12 yards from a 20 gauge worked just fine and I didn't have to worry about the neighbors. I still have a 2" hole in the down spout from my second shot where I missed the second coon but I got blood and hair and he hasn't been back. The first coon was fat and delicious. I ruined the hide though and the neighbors cat stole the tail I had hanging out to dry. Guess I should have salted it instead.

Load up that shotgun and have at it.

If I had not been is such a hurry I could have grabbed a different shotgun and put BB in it but I didn't. I just grabbed my HD gun which is always loaded with #4 because in house distance is 8 yards and less.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 14, 2012, 12:41 PM   #35
Grant D

I have the same problem with them coming to eat the cat food.We have four feral cats that live under the house that keep us rodent free,but every time I put out a trap,,I catch one of the cats!! I guess I'll just have to sit out back and shoot them with my 10/22 or Heritage SA 22 Hey! maybe I should use my Hi-point 995 carbine 9mm with red dot scope and mounted flashlight.Or a shotgun, heck they all would do the job I guess
Old March 14, 2012, 01:17 PM   #36
olddrum1

Normally here in Missouri if your caught taking wildlife out of season (Racoon) you have your car impounded, Your firearm is confiscated, your arrested and have to post bond. Last I heard and not sure if thats changed was $500. You loose a day of work going back to court and of that $500 you get back a whopping $2 after the fines. Its cheaper to do a little dog training.
Old March 14, 2012, 02:10 PM   #37
zippy13

Quote:
Anyways, here is the question: Will 12 gauge 3" steel BB shot take a raccoon down out of an 18" no choke barrel out to a good 35 yards?
Can you drive a 10d nail with a 12" Crescent wrench?
Just because you have a tool, it's not necessarily the correct one for the job. With shotguns, it often comes down to how that particular gun and shell combination will perform. Similar questions have been asked before, here at TFL, and the typical answer is: you need to pattern your gun with the choke (or lack of one) and load in question.
Old March 15, 2012, 08:11 AM   #38
Hansam

Quote:
As for the dog thing, couldn't agree more! He obeys commands excellently but if I'm not there to give them then he might go taking off somewhere, either chasing or exploring. I hear it can have something to do with not being neutered. Anyways he does fine when I'm out with him and he'd probably be fine at this point alone as well. I'll give him a chance. As for the critter gitter I might be well suited to use my 28" weatherby with choke tubes. A .22 works great if they aren't moving!
Dogs and training - it has nothing to do with being neutered or not. I train hunting dogs and none of them are spayed/neutered. They're all absolutely obedient and don't wander in the absence of a handler. My personal dogs are allowed to free roam my yard (no fences) and they stay within my property boundaries. Its all about putting enough time and effort into the training to make it work. All it takes is 15-20 minutes a day, EVERY day.

Guns and coons - Your 28" Weatherby with a modified choke would be fine - just make sure you use large enough shot to give a quick death. I've shot plenty of coons on the move out to 50 yds. Usually one shot does them in - if not a follow up shot puts them down for good. Just takes practice.

Quote:
Normally here in Missouri if your caught taking wildlife out of season (Racoon)...
In most states (commie states excluded) there are allowances for land owners in regard to varmints and vermin. Here in WI if you're just out hunting and pick off a coon out of season you suffer some severe penalties too if there's a warden around to get you. On the other hand if you're a land owner and you're protecting your assets from damage by varmints and vermin you're free to shoot/trap/destroy them whenever you see them on your property. It should be the same in most states.
Old March 15, 2012, 08:29 AM   #39
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I wouldn't hesitate to point my 20ga at any coon out to 35 yards loaded with #4 shot. Might need a follow up at that distance but if the dogs scram from a gun shot, coon will be dead or gone in 20 minutes when the dogs can go eat him if still there...

Brent
Old March 15, 2012, 08:52 AM   #40
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Forgot to mention... My 20ga is a Mossberg with 18" cyl bore barrel.

Brent
Old March 15, 2012, 09:24 AM   #41
wizrd

Hunted racoons over some good hounds for twenty years. Two ocassions that I can remember distinctly, large racoons were shot, right between the eyes with a .22 LR. distance of 25 - 30 feet up a tree. Racoon looking directly at me, scoped .22 LR. Racoon falls to ground, seemingly graveyard dead, dogs run in to worry the racoon, MIRACLE HAPPENS, racoon comes back to life and gives the hounds a hell of a fight. Lots of screaming and cursing, dogs are pulled away from the racoon, finished off with subsequent shots from .22. Upon skinning them out, both of these animals had the bullets impacted firmly against their skulls, right between the eyes, bullets did not penetrate the skull. Racoons can be tough to kill, watch out for the dead ones. One of these tore a chunk out of one of my hip boots. These were the largest we ever got, 30 & 31 lbs. weighed on an accurate scale. Never did see any of those 40 & 50 pounders that some guys claim.
Old March 15, 2012, 11:52 PM   #42
tAKticool

First thing came immediately to mind, where on earth did u find the inspiration to select x3" , steels, BB, shot?!!
Old March 26, 2012, 06:45 PM   #43
doctor_brevic

Quote:
First thing came immediately to mind, where on earth did u find the inspiration to select x3" , steels, BB, shot?!!
No choke whatsoever, fixed cyl. bore. I wanted some unspeakably mean ammo to give them the quick death that they do indeed deserve as previously mentioned regardless of how much I may or may not dispise them.
Old March 27, 2012, 01:20 AM   #44
GM2

Only one I have ever killed was with a Marlin 22 mag. He was stealing my dog's food.
Old March 27, 2012, 09:57 AM   #45
PetahW

In my experience, it's as easy as 1, 2, 3 - since dog = treed 'coon.

Then:

1) Illuminate the 'coon's eyes with a flashlight

2) Create a 3rd eye, right between the 1st two - with an open-sighted .22.

3) Move quickly out from under falling 'coon.

Old April 1, 2012, 12:36 AM   #46
340 Weatherby

I once killed a coyote at 30 yards with copper 1 1/4 load of sixes. #4's through your gun should solve all your problems easily.
Old April 1, 2012, 02:31 PM   #47
Rifleman1776

Quote:
Racoons can be tough to kill,
Fer certain, fer sure.
I once cornered one in my chicken house where he had been on a nightly killing spree. I had a flashlight taped to my 12 ga. double shotgun. He was less than 12 feet from me, less from the muzzle. I shot and put a hole right through his body and the wall behind him. I saw the silver dollar sized hole in him. He turned and charged me. I figured I was going to get hurt badly. I didn't shoot because I would have shot my own foot off. He died on my boot.
As for size, a nearby grocery had a picture of a local boy with a racoon he killed they claimed was 60 pounds. It sure looked like it could have weighed that much, huge.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:02 PM   #48
Sheikyourbootie

Damn, racoons sure have gotten tougher than when I was a kid. I used to just use a .410 with #4 birdshot, or a 22lr and never had any charge me.
Old April 2, 2012, 12:12 AM   #49
Irish B

Yeah really. I used to have no problem sending them running with my pellet gun
Old April 2, 2012, 01:11 AM   #50
C0untZer0

Instead of fish or cat food, use marshmallows and / or donuts - especially glazed or powdered donuts in the traps to avoid catching cats.

The raccoons love cat food -especially salmon flavored cat food but unfortunately feral cats like it too.