The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 21, 2010, 09:02 AM   #1
tynimiller

Looking at new ML...couple options

Okay so I've been shooting the basic Traditions 209 ML for about 5 years now...to be honest I'm so addicted to Bow Hunting that I barely shotgun hunt or ML hunt anymore, but if I do go out with a firearm I grab the ML before the shotgun, no matter the season here in Indiana. So now I'm on the market for a better inline ML and currently are looking at different types:

-Traditions Vortek:
I can't get the thumbhole model (which I really want) in my price range but can afford the basic stock and I've heard really good things about this ML just have never seen it in action or held it in my hands. $325 with the Cerakote alloy and synthetic stock

-Traditions Pursuit II XLT:
I can get this in the thumbhole model which is a plus, and have also heard good things but never seen it in action. I can only get black or camo synthetic stock with Nickel barrel, which a nickel barrel would be new to me (any thoughts on this would be nice) $330 synthetic thumbhole stock with nickel barrel

-Traditions Pursuit LT:
Not graded to 150grains like the XLT from what I've heard, but can be had for slightly cheaper rate than XLT where I'm going to buy from, but doesn't come with thumbhole, which won't break a purchase decision, but would help. $225-320 depending what style, stock, and barrel.

-CVA Optima Pro (not the elite), pistol style grip and only $200 (no scope)

I know I typed alot but wanted some advice or thoughts on my ML purchase, if nothing else state which you'd get.

Last edited by tynimiller; December 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old December 21, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Doyle

In my opinion, you should be looking at something more than just Traditions. I believe the T/C muzzleloaders to be superior. The best bang for your buck in the market now is the T/C Omega. You can get it from super simple and affordable (Z5 model) all the way up to the very expensive stainless and camo thumbhole stocked versions. They all have the same action - the difference being the metal finish and the stock style. If you shop around Walmarts this time of year, you can frequently find the Z5 for $200.
Old December 21, 2010, 11:34 AM   #3
tynimiller

Thanks Doyle...I just have kinda fallen into the Traditions line simply because my 209 shoots dead on, just want to update a little bit. Threw the CVA in due to the price being so nice. My dad shoots T/C and loves it, I just don't wanna spend the cash for the TH stock, and barrel of choosing when CVA or Traditions are $100 or more cheaper...I'll admit though I realize T/C may be a touch above them but I've been hearing such great things about the Vortek, Pursuit and Optimas that I'm just curious if it would make a huge difference.
Old December 21, 2010, 11:36 AM   #4
tynimiller

Also...been looking high and low for good T/C prices and really only the Impact seems to come close to $300, but I've heard not so great stuff about them.
Old December 21, 2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If I were buying a muzzleloader, it would be a Savage 10-MLII. NO question. Noooo question. I would not even consider anything else.
Old December 21, 2010, 03:29 PM   #6
tynimiller

I don't doubt the Savage is a good gun...but my traditions 209 shoots solid at 100 yards and cost me $200 like 5 years ago....no need to spend the type of cash for that Savage...sorry I'm a true blood bow hunter above all else and if I'm spending over $350/$400 I'm getting a new bow.
Old December 21, 2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Doyle

I could have gotten you a T/C Omega Z5 at Walmart last spring for $180 on clearance. Mine shoots a 3-shot group with the holes almost touching at 100 yds.
Old December 21, 2010, 04:42 PM   #8
FrontierGander

www.rrarms.com check out the NEW CVA Optima for $225
Old December 22, 2010, 09:17 AM   #9
tynimiller

I've seen the Omega in Wally world as well...currenty sitting at $270 (no sights though)...my gut tells me T/C is like the Harley of Muzzleloaders. Great guns, but over-hyped some..and aren't better or if they are better not by much to the competition (I personally think Harleys are worse made than Hondas....but totally seperate conversation)

My biggest thing is that I don't wanna break bank when not necessary, if a CVA or a Traditions can get it done with less cash and come with a pistol grip or thumb stock which I like...all the more reason...but I guess I'll keep considering a T/C if a deal is to sweet to pass up.
Old December 22, 2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Doyle

That T/C at Wallyworld with no sights isn't the Z5 model. That one comes with sights. Like I said, the Omega frame comes in lots of configuations from plane jane to very fancy.

When considering a new ML, on of the things you need to think about is ease of cleaning. That is one of the reasons I settled on the T/C. It cleans up a WHOLE lot faster than my old CVA magbolt.
Old December 24, 2010, 10:01 PM   #11
tynimiller

surprised there isn't more thoughts on this one. I'm honestly leaning towards the Optima Pro since I can get it for under $200 where I'm looking to buy from.