The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Preacher54

Steven 22/410

Hi All,
Inherited my grandfather's Stevens 22/410 o/u. He was a WWI vet so you have some idea how old this gun may be.

It has "Patent Pending" on the R side of the receiver as well as the selector button. Of course no serial #. The receiver has a "bronze" finish on it and the stock and forearm are all wood. The stock buttplate is plastic and in good condition. "Bronze?" finish on receiver. Selector up/down button on R side of receiver.

The gun is all original as best I can tell. Saw some other blogs saying it might be worth a pretty penny. Not for sale but wish to insure it. Anybody have a guess on manufacture date?

Can anyone help me to post pics of it to the forum, and give me a ballpark value? Gratefull for any help.

Semper Fidelis,
Grace & Peace,
Rev. Steven Taylor

Last edited by Al Norris; December 28, 2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Merged 2 threads & Info to single post
Old December 28, 2009, 07:20 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Be patient grasshoppa...
BTW, a simple BTT (back to top) in your first thread is enuff to keep the thread on page one...
I know nuttin of that gun nor the value.
Had one with plastic stock but we don't talk much about it as it was "modified" and eventually went swimming in a warm salty bay.
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Pahoo

There is a model number on this and it's the 24 series. As far as bronze on reciever, have never seen one as the DL's were silver in color and some had Gold plated triggers. The DL's also have a higher comb. The selector will help in dating this. I'd guess the 60's but do not have a way of checking at this time. One thing about these, is that most had a little something wrong with them. The ones with the plastic stocks are more desireable. These make great rabbit guns.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

BTT

See how that works...
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 08:09 PM   #5
lewwetzel

I "inherited" my late grandfather's .22-.410 for $375 I paid when my cousin sold it at auction; that's probably too much but he did need the $ to pay his mom's nursing home bill and I wanted to keep it in the family...At any rate, it sounds much like the on you have: a pre-Savage approx. early 30's, wood-stock, etc., not in as good shape as your's and the barrel (hammer?) selector button is missing, as many are. Frankly, and I might be wrong, I doubt that even an excellent one would bring much over $500 and it's possible insurance wouldn't pay that much to replace it.
Too bad Savage couldn't have seen fit to bring that one back; the Model 94(?) replacements I've seen are heavier -- and foreign-made, I believe.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:45 PM   #6
olddrum1

Harley Noldens gun research located on the bottom of the main page might also be a good place to post this also.