The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 9, 2008, 01:40 PM   #1
unkle.buck

Browning BAR simi-auto .300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag ?

I would like a lot of feedback on this one. I have always been a .30 cal man, but I have seen some shots with 7mm that are outstanding! Help me out. But remember, you can never take me away from Browning BAR Magnum. Don't bother with anything else. Charlie
Old June 9, 2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Horseman

I've owned both. Both shot very well(the 7mm has the BOSS). I'd say it's gonna come down to what cartridge you prefer. There will be no difference in accuracy or weight IMO.

You really need to ask yourself what cal you like better. All my BAR's teater on the MOA in accuracy. You can make a significant reduction in weight if you could live with a non magnum cal. That's the ONLY negative about the BAR is weight IMO.

IMO the 7MM will do anything you ever want unless you're into Bears.
Old June 9, 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
unkle.buck

BAR .30 vs. 7mm

I'm not into bears,yet, but I am into BOARS. In many ways harder to kill than Kodiak or Grizzly. I will be working for two ranches here in southern New Mexico and my job is to control the depredation of pigs by dispatch only. The rate of movement north out of Texas has tripled since March of 2007 ! One group of 4 adults and 6 piglets can destroy an acre of alfalfa in one night ! I know the pro's on the .300 Winchester Magnum. But I have an opportunity to pick up a couple of 7MM Remington Magnum's for the price of one. I guess I am just wanting someone to explain to me the pro's of the 7mm. Charlie
Old June 9, 2008, 10:03 PM   #4
Horseman

There will be other variables when shooting game that have a far greater influence on the outcome than the difference between these 2 cals. The 300 punches a hole .024" bigger than the 7mm. The 300 will have slightly more recoil, more energy and better ballistics. Again the numbers are so close it is hardly worth worrying about which is better. Arguments could be made for either to be the right choice, but you'd be splitting heirs IMO.
Old June 9, 2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Big-Foot

I'd pick the 300 as well, unless the 7mm was half the price. For elk and smaller the 7 mag is fine.
Old June 9, 2008, 10:44 PM   #6
VonFireball

7mm magnum.

If you can't kill a boar with one of those, you got problems, big problems.

Quote:
I will be working for two ranches here in southern New Mexico and my job is to control the depredation of pigs by dispatch only. The rate of movement north out of Texas has tripled since March of 2007 !
Lemme know if you have any job opening over there, would you?
Old June 10, 2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Horseman

The more I think about it, I'd like to see what animal can walk away from a well placed 7mm Rem Mag. bullet. I use a 7mm Mag with 154gr Hornady Round nose on Neb. whitetails. I hunt near the Neb./ Kansas border (BIG bodied deer) and have been very satisfied. I refer to this load as "the hammer of thor". It's pretty devastating. The buck I shot last year broadside looked like someone pulled the rug out from under him. I can't imagine many animals that could take that, even a big boar.
Old June 10, 2008, 10:11 PM   #8
unkle.buck

Browning BAR

Thank's ya'll. I got the 7mmMag. Great deal! Now I'm ready for loads! Give me your best shot! Charlie