The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2006, 09:59 PM   #1
kbp1

7mm-08 Loads

I recently purchased a Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm-08 caliber (22" barrel). I am looking for proven loads suitable for whitetail deer.
Old October 5, 2006, 12:45 PM   #2
snuffy

no such thing

A load somebody else found to be accurate in their rifle, may not work well in yours. There's no shortcuts in handloading. You HAVE to work up your own loads to suit the dynamics of your rifle.

As for choosing a load, go to your manual, choose a bullet/powder combo that will fit the purpose of your shooting. Some manuals have a highlighted load that proved most accurate during their experiments. That's sometimes a good place to start.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 6, 2006, 10:23 PM   #3
kbp1

there could be

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for loads, perhaps from someone using the same rifle/barrel length, that have proven to be accurate, in their rifle, and good for whitetail dear. I realize that all rifles are not created equal and that what shoots well in one rifle, may not in another. I find that it is often easier to "tweek" loads rather than start from scratch. However, I have done that too. Again, thanks for the reply and have a great day.
Old October 8, 2006, 05:04 PM   #4
roadwarrior

The powders that I have found most accurate in my 7mm-08 have been H380, Reloader 15, and Varget. The most accurate bullet has been the Sierra 140 gr. Also the Hornady SST 139gr bullet works very-very well on deer. The CCI BR2 primers have also proven the most consistent.

The 7mm-08 is a great rifle to shoot and hunt with. You will be very pleased with your choice in rifle cartridges.
Old October 8, 2006, 11:26 PM   #5
kbp1

thanks for the info

Roadwarrior, thanks for the info. That gives me a starting point.
Old October 9, 2006, 12:08 AM   #6
Bud Helms

W748 with some Hornady Spire points worked real well for me.
Old October 9, 2006, 09:54 AM   #7
castnblast

1+ on Sierra 140 Spitzer boat tail, and the Hornady 139 BTSP. I loaded those for a friend who is starting to reload. I'm mentoring him to make sure he's safe. I personally load those bullets in my 7mm Rem mag w/ excellent results. At the range out of the 08, they performed VERY well. I'm a huge Sierra fan. Make sure you get the game king version. Jacket is a bit thicker. Blitz kings in the same bullet are designed for varmint and target, and are relatively thinner jacketed. Read the label close.
Old October 9, 2006, 10:09 AM   #8
castnblast

1+ on Sierra 140 Spitzer boat tail, and the Hornady 139 BTSP. I loaded those for a friend who is starting to reload. I'm mentoring him to make sure he's safe. I personally load those bullets in my 7mm Rem mag w/ excellent results. At the range out of the 08, they performed VERY well. I'm a huge Sierra fan. Make sure you get the game king version. Jacket is a bit thicker. Blitz kings in the same bullet are designed for varmint and target, and are relatively thinner jacketed. Read the label close.

As for powders, we used both IMR 4064, and 4895. both worked well. Most test runs are out of 24" barrels. Consult a manual, but I'd also take a look at IMR'r website. Their data is a bit hotter than what I found in the manuals, and I have found w/ the 22-250 and the 7mm-08 (both) with 22" barrels, that I didn't get signs of excessive pressure with their loads. The 22-250 liked the max load, and the 7mm -08 liked .75gr under their max. I started the '08 2.5 gr. under max and increased in .5 gr. increments. then experimented .25 under and over the best group to come up with the load.

I have also been itching to try benchmark...It appears to generate some really nice velocities, at lower powder charges, and may be well suited to the '08. I have not researched it enough to make that determination though. I'd look into it.

Also, if you want to try the powders recomended above, ask your gunshop if they carry the test packs. You can get 4oz each of Varget, H380, Benchmark, and another type I don't recall, all for about the same price as a single can.
Old October 9, 2006, 02:16 PM   #9
Brian Williams

Use caution with anyone else's load
I have a load of 42.5 Gr of 4064 and Sierra 140gr spbt, great load, this is in a Win mod 70 compact Classic, 20" barrel.
YMMV