The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2000, 09:53 PM   #1
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Anyone have any experience with the IMI 150 grain FMJBT in 06? I just got in 500 rounds of 06 brass from CMP and am preparing to load it with ball for my Garand. The IMI ball seems to be reasonably priced..........that is if the quality is anywhere near as good as the Winchester 147 Gr. FMJBT.

------------------
Carlyle
Old May 19, 2000, 07:20 AM   #2
Fred J. Drumheller
Retired Screen Name

The IMI is essentially equal to the WW 147gr. Ball bullet. Neither is "Match Grade", but either will get you through Marksman & Sharpshooter. As an Expert, you'll have to be pushing Master before you'll notice much differance and want to start buying "Match" bullets.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle
Old May 19, 2000, 02:18 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the info Fred. I was not worried about the match capabilities of this particular bullet, just weather the quality was on a par with the Winchester. I still carry a Master classification but it has been more years than I care to tell about since I have had the opportunity to compete. I have been using the Winchester for pratice and just general shooting use. When the time comes again (and it will now that I am retired) for me to compete, and match ammo is needed, I will go with the Sierra 168 grain International which has always given excellent service to me.

------------------
Carlyle