The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 28, 2017, 06:49 AM   #26
baddarryl

Quote:
"...and tung oil the stock..." Only if it's got a tung oil finish on it already. Most did not. No tung oil if you ever plan on putting on any kind of stain either.
It is a CMP new issue walnut stock. Service Grade. No plans to stain.
Old April 28, 2017, 09:13 AM   #27
Chris_B

Also as an FYI, there's 'tung oil', 'tung oil finish', 'pure tung oil'...and they are not all the same thing.
Old April 28, 2017, 02:14 PM   #28
Bamashooter

I got my first Garand last september. I just watched a couple videos on youtube and went to work. Not really that hard to do once you do it a couple of times. Glad I did though because it really needed cleaning. Great rifle though and Im very happy to add one to my collection.
Old April 29, 2017, 11:09 AM   #29
P5 Guy

I had my M1 field stripped before the BWT got out of my neighborhood.
Fully disassembled and all the metal in a bucket of mineral spirits for a good cleaning, well, except for the sheet metal in the wood.
Light oiling and reassembled waiting for the stock to get sweated in a few hours.
Just be careful while removing the extractor from the bolt. That spring is quite happy to go across the room.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:15 PM   #30
Reloadron

Sooner or later you are going to have to sit down and come to terms with the rifle. Start with a very basic fiels strip getting the rifle down to main sections like stock group, trigger group and the action. Do that a few times then take it down further. Finally you will be comfortable even taking down the trigger group. Time and practice is about all it takes o master disassembly and assembly. You may want a set of pin punches before you get too deep into taking the rifle down.

Ron