The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 6, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1
subhuman

wore out eyes

my eyes are getting old i think, lined up 6 1" target dots on a paper at 25 yards they looked like an orange line without my glasses but with my glasses on my rear site kinda fuzzes out on the rifle. 6 shots with my glasses on i hit 2 and missed 1 high, took off my glasses shot 4 for 4 but could not realy make out the edges of the dots i was just shootin by knowledge of where the center should be, of course i can still blow holes all in a centermass torso target at 50 yards with my pistol or 150 with any of my rifles so im still good for man or dear sized game but that presision 2" shots at a 100 yards are not happening with out a scope any more :-(.
any ideal on how to make your rear sights clearer if you glasses are set up for distance or should i just give up and start using a scope on my rifles?
Old July 6, 2013, 01:55 PM   #2
jag2

I shoot mostly pistol but the concept is the same. With my eye doctor's okay I brought in a pistol and we set up the right lens (you may shoot left) for best focus on the sights and the left is set up for distance. I chose a large frame, kind of like the old aviators, for max protection and the lenses are safety glass. Its not like being 25 again but as good as I'm going to get.
Old July 6, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
subhuman

i could see that for my pistol with a little practice. I think the rifle would be a lot harder to adjust to though
Old July 6, 2013, 02:47 PM   #4
SgtLumpy

Focus on the front sight. You can only keep one of the three (front, rear, target) in focus no matter what your visual acuity is.

I don't think(?) that a person with 20/20 sees much of a different target than a person with myopia, when they're focused on the front sight. Target's always a blur. It always was for me when I shot with 20/20 as a youngster and the same now with corrective lenses as a geezer.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 6, 2013, 03:10 PM   #5
arch308

Adapt and overcome!
Old July 6, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
g.willikers

You can actually see 1" targets at 25 yds?
And you're complaining?
Old July 7, 2013, 10:30 AM   #7
subhuman

like sgt lumpy i have always used the front and rear sights and let the target blur but now with my glasses my rear sight is blurry so im going to have to learn how to either work with the front sight and target or use a scope, or mabye try a ghost ring rear and see how that works
Old July 7, 2013, 11:12 AM   #8
SgtLumpy

Quote:
like sgt lumpy i have always used the front and rear sights
Front, front, front.

Sgt Lumpy