The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1
IAMDEATH

Lee pro 1000 progressive press

I'm hoping to get on here and get some feedback, i'm currently using a rcbs single stage press and wanna switch to a progressive. My question is can anyone out there tell me how the lee pro 1000 press is when loading .223? I've checked out other press's but with current funds the lee is in my best price range.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:06 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Wait till you have saved enough money to buy a Dillon machine.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Vance

If you like to fiddle for hours to get the Lee Pro 1000 to work properly, then your fine. I agree with the save your money and get a different brand when it comes to progressives. I have a Dillon 650. A friend has a Hornady LNL Progressive. Both are fine machines and will serve you better in the long run.
Old September 30, 2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Lots of good experience is reflected here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=507454]Lee

Pro 1000 Solutions < No Bashing > - THR (The High Road)

Note also that the Pro-1000 is intended for handgun cartridges. While it can do 223 Remington/5.56 NATO, the vertical clearance to get your hand in there to place bullets is tight.

After using Pro-1000s for a while (having switched from my RCBS single stage) I finally acquired a Lee Classic Turret. I was able to match my throughput from the Pro-1000 and at the end of a loading session I was relaxed. Using the the Pro-1000, I was a nervous wreck. Now, that is MY failing. Monitoring multiple simultaneous operations is not my strongest talent - not while reloading, anyway.

JaguarXK120's advice about the Dillon is valid, though it did not answer your original question. Dillons (and Hornady) progressives are VERY good and (in my opinion) worth saving up for.

But if you change calibers very often and habitually load less than 500 rounds at a sitting, the Lee Classic Turret (not the inferior Lee Deluxe Turret) is well worth a look. It is THE BEST (bar none) 4-station autoindexing turret press in current production.

Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; October 1, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 05:02 PM   #5
okiefarmer

Okay, my two pesos on this. I have both the LEE turret and the Pro 1000. I'll use the 1000 any day before the turret. I use the progressive in a non progessive way that saves me a lot of time, and this is all pistol brass. I clean and shine all brass first, then run them thru the tubes, depriming and belling the case mouth only. Tubes load fast with the collator, feed fast, and I can run through thousands in a short evening very easy. I prime with the LEE hand prime while watching History TV or something. Bagged and tagged and ready to load now.

I'll admit, I have never liked their little powder discs, so I put in blocks, charge under my RCBS powder drop, stick in case hlder in 1000 with bullet on top and start cranking again. I know I could use a single stage for this last step, but I choose to seat and use the LEE FC die in separate stages, I get more consistant loadings. Biggest timesaver being inthe deprime/bell stage where I never have to touch them.

Works for me
Old September 30, 2012, 11:14 PM   #6
oldpapps

I have a Lee 1000 Pro and like it. However, with my method of reloading .223/5.56s it just isn't suitable. I trim after sizing and that just isn't in the cards for a progressive. I have sized and trimmed on my single squeeze press, then ran the partially processed brass in for priming, charging and seating. But, I can use a hand primer and powder dumper about as fast.

With that said, I love to feed clean 40S&W and 45ACP brass in and have completed rounds fall out the other end.

Remember, keep it clean and well oiled. The operating handle must make full and complete motion both up and down, that's where the work is done.

I'm thinking seriously about altering the setup to load 300 AAC Blackouts on my 223 bottom plate.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old September 30, 2012, 11:35 PM   #7
kealil

OK. My opinion? Get a xl650. That is my chosen advice. mine has been amazing so far. However,the little amount of time that I have used the lee pro1000 has been impressive.I would say that is worth every penny and more so. all of my Leeproducts have been amazing for the price
Old September 30, 2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiefarmer
Okay, my two pesos on this. I have both the LEE turret and the Pro 1000. I'll use the 1000 any day before the turret. I use the progressive in a non progessive way that saves me a lot of time, and this is all pistol brass. I clean and shine all brass first, then run them thru the tubes, depriming and belling the case mouth only. Tubes load fast with the collator, feed fast, and I can run through thousands in a short evening very easy. I prime with the LEE hand prime while watching History TV or something. Bagged and tagged and ready to load now.

I'll admit, I have never liked their little powder discs, so I put in blocks, charge under my RCBS powder drop, stick in case hlder in 1000 with bullet on top and start cranking again. I know I could use a single stage for this last step, but I choose to seat and use the LEE FC die in separate stages, I get more consistant loadings. Biggest timesaver being inthe deprime/bell stage where I never have to touch them.

Works for me
okiefarmer, that is BRILLIANT!

If I didn't load so many calibers, I would probably still have my Pro-1000s and use your method.

Kudos to you.

Lost Sheep
Old October 1, 2012, 04:38 PM   #9
1stmar

Used to have two pro1000's, got rid of them for a 550b. Best reloading decision I ever made. As stated, the pro1000 are very finicky and you spend more time messing withem then reloading. Too bad, overall it seems like a pretty good machine and the price is great. If lee would just spend a bit more effort in engineering I think they could fix the issues, keep it under $200 and have a great deal. Get the dillon, 550 or 650 if budget allows. Never have a problem, very reliable, flexible, great service and turns out good ammo.