The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 4, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
kinggabby

Benifits ?

I was wondering what the benefits of a C&R license . I mean do you need it to buy old guns ? Or is it just to get better prices? Home delivery of said C&R ? Or is it just so someone could buy and then sell them ? Thanks y'all for any answers.
Old February 4, 2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Chris_B

I have to go turn a steak over in about 5 minutes (yeah, life is tough) so I will give some general answers

You can buy old guns without one.

It's a license for your personal collection. You're not a dealer in old guns, you have an FFL to build up your own collection. You have to keep a bound book, and it can be audited but it's not to run a business

There is no 'phone call' with a C&R when you buy using it. Both parties are licensed as collectors for purposes of the transaction. Swap info, record it in your book, pay the man, walk away with the firearm

Some deals can be had using the C&R
Old February 4, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
kinggabby

Ok if I can buy old guns without a C&R then why get one ?
Old February 4, 2012, 06:31 PM   #4
SHNOMIDO

I was under the impression that the main reason was home delivery.
Old February 4, 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
bob.a

Some of the benefits of a C&R:

You can buy regulated firearms from other states; no hassles or fees with a local FFL holder, no sales tax.

You can import firearms from other countries; this is rather more complex.

While you must keep records of the firearms you buy or sell using your license, you do not have to turn in the records, and should you decide to not renew your C&R, you can just trash the records. This may be useful if you're concerned about the government knowing what you have.

You get discounts from some wholesalers because you have an FFL license.

You get your guns delivered to your door.

The drawbacks:

You can only use your license for weapons that are considered curios and relics; they have to be fifty years old or more, or on a list of C&R weapons published by BATFE.

You have to pay 30 dollars every three years.

You will spend a lot of money on guns you never knew you needed.

It's a nice thing to have, especially if you like older guns. I do. I can't really think of a reason to get such a license, if you have any interest in the sort of firearms it applies to.
Old February 4, 2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Chris_B

Quote:
I was under the impression that the main reason was home delivery.
Instead of to an 01 sure. Seems kinda obvious though- it's an FFL after all
Old February 4, 2012, 09:36 PM   #7
rburch

I've had mine a year now and just bought my 2nd gun with it.

That said I got really bored and started going through my old receipts, and I've saved way more than $30 with out counting the guns at all.

That's the benefit I see most, the Dealer Discounts at MidwayUSA, and Brownells.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 5, 2012, 03:36 AM   #8
stickhauler

Benefits of a C & R are discounts from most major firearm parts and accessories sellers (Midway, etc.), you can buy straight from a C & R Firearm wholesaler like Southern Ohio Gun -AIM Surplus - Classic, etc at close or on their wholesale prices. Say your local gun shop decides to sell imported M-1 Carbines, they'll pay close to, or exactly what you'd pay for it from SOG. Plus, you get it shipped straight to your house.

Mine comes up for renewal this year, I've saved a helluva lot more than the $30.00 issue price I paid to get my C & R license.
Old February 5, 2012, 10:31 AM   #9
amx4080

Quote:
Ok if I can buy old guns without a C&R then why get one ?

Yes, you can still buy "old guns" without a C&R. With a C&R, you'll send copies to the big dealers and they will send you flyers, emails and you'll find a ton of firearms you didn't know you really needed. You'll remodel your house to have storage and display space for your growing collection. Every time the UPS truck (better known as the BBT: Big Brown Truck) rolls down the street, you'll think "cool, what did I order again?"

The advantage is when you go to a show, you see something that the C&R, give them a copy of your license and $ and walk out. The only phone call is to place an order (once your C&R is on file with the seller), not to do the background check.

Yes, you have to keep a bound book. Yes, the BATFE can ask for an inspection, just play by the rules. Remember that you are not a dealer, the C&R is for your personal collection, not selling. With these small responsibilities, you have a greater freedom to purchase C&Rs in different states, etc.

I'm surprised nobody started wailing about the record keeping (bound book) responsibility yet. Usually, when someone asks about C&R, there are some nay-sayers. IMO, if the record keeping ever became a tool for confiscation, we have much bigger problems to deal with!

Just be ready for the stress on your wallet with a C&R. It's a lot of temptation!