The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2011, 10:37 PM   #1
rhinonewshooter

How many chokes do I need with a 390

I have narrowed my search for a semi auto to either a beretta 390 or 391. Right now I am thinking of focusing on a 390, but what I have seen so far have not had chokes or a Case. I can figure on getting a case. What I don't know is how many chokes I will need for skeet and trap, and perhaps a bit of hunting. Would 3 be enough.?

I am trying to do an apples to apple comparison on a few guns on gun broker to figure out my high bid.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:56 PM   #2
publius

Yes, an improved cylinder, modified, and full are all you will ever need. If you are going to turkey hunt you may decide you want one of the high dollar extra full chokes on the market but you sure don't need one.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Rob228

If you start out with a full, modified and improved cylinder you should be alright for just about anything.
Old July 10, 2011, 08:26 AM   #4
oneounceload

IC can be a little tight, (but very doable) for Skeet, while the M will handle trap

Once you get shooting more, you may determine that a few extra chokes are necessary. If so, they are available from a variety of makers - just make sure you get the ones for YOUR model Beretta and barrel, as Beretta has several different chokes out there for different models and barrels and they are NOT interchageable
Old July 10, 2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Slugo

my simple rule of thumb for a do all 12 gauge:

- Skeet/skeet shooting
- Improved Cylinder/sporting clays
- Modified/16 yard standard trap

I find Cylinder chokes a waste and also a Full choke, except for turkey hunting and handicapped trap...
Old July 10, 2011, 09:15 AM   #6
jmr40

For skeet I use a Skeet tube. For 90% of my hunting, even waterfowl I use IC. With steel shot IC tubes shoot tighter than you would think. I occasionally go to modified if I'm getting a lot of longish shots. For turkey hunting I use an extra full designed for turkey hunting. My full choke tubes almost never get used.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:44 AM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

For almost all of my guns.. Including my Beretta 3901, I have Skeet, IC, Mod, and Full... Truthfully 99.99% of the shooting can be done with IC, Mod, and Full...
Old July 10, 2011, 06:55 PM   #8
BigJimP

Most shooting is done with open - to mid range chokes..../ so a Cyclinder, Improved Cyclinder and a Modified would be a minimum .../ most shooters rarely use an Imp Mod or a Full choke...

but getting a few more chokes is the least expensive thing you'll ever do in this pastime ...compared to shells and targets .../so don't get overly focused on chokes.
Old July 10, 2011, 08:46 PM   #9
zippy13

Three's plenty if you select them correctly: Loose, medium and tight. Actually you won't need the tight one unless you shoot handicap trap or a hunting environment requires it.

Of course, there are various degrees of each choke. My R-1100 trap model came with three screw-in, over bored chokes: full, extra full and super full. In .410-bore Skeet tubes, I have screw-in chokes who's difference is so subtle it's probably undetectable by the typical gun owner.
Old July 10, 2011, 08:53 PM   #10
rhinonewshooter

Thanks for the help gents. It seems that I should be able to pick up a decent set of chokes for a 390 for under $100 - more like around $80. This helps me out a great deal.