The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1
b money

I need to find ranges to pick up brass

Hello, and I'm sorry If I posted this in the wrong fourm. I need to find some ranges in central(or around) Illinois that will let me pick up brass. Police ranges would be great because I'm manly looking for .308win, .45acp, .38spl,
.357mag, 9mm. but also need .44mag, .44spl, also 12ga and 20ga and others pending. so If you could help out in any way I would be very appreciative.

Thanks
Old March 11, 2009, 03:11 PM   #2
dmickey

If you belong to a range, try there first! Picking up shotgun hulls would probably be useless as they would rarely be the correct ones!
Old March 11, 2009, 03:23 PM   #3
CrustyFN

Most ranges from what I understand don't allow it. I joined a private club and pick up brass after IDPA and GSSF matches. Also after the sheriff and swat qualify and practice if my timing is good. We let them use our range to practice and qualify.
Rusty
Old March 11, 2009, 03:23 PM   #4
tiberius10721

indoor pistol ranges in my opinion are best source of pistol brass especially on a weekend thats if management lets u pick it up or is not paying attention!I got a range i go to that lets me shoot all day for 10 dollars so on a weekend i walk out with 10 t0 20 pounds of brass. In the long run if i shoot bymyself im almost shooting for free when u figure in price of brass.Some people will not pick up range brass to reload cause they dont know how many times its been fired but i do and havent had any problems yet.I just reloaded 2000 pieces of 45 acp brass and they turned out beutiful for plinking.I love it when people leave 38 special and especially 357 cases.Ive never reloaded rifle cartridges yet i think for those ill buy my own brass.
Old March 11, 2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Masada

LOL I make it easy for people like you. I police all my brass (not required at our outdoor range), and leave it in a container. Just because I don't reload doesn't mean I want to leave the place a mess :-)
Old March 12, 2009, 12:08 PM   #6
b money

thanks guys

thank you, any more ideas are welcome, cause the way I reload I'll need all the brass I can get
Old March 12, 2009, 12:20 PM   #7
rclark

Boy, your ranges must be different than ours .... The only brass that stays around on the ground is .22 brass. Everything else gets picked up by the shooters themselves. Occasionally you'll find one or two that someone has missed.... but not often! Brass is to 'precious' to just let it get away from you IMO (and evidently by others as well) .

Quote:
I'll need all the brass I can get
Well then start buying it . Starline lets you buy by 500 cartridges . Nice clean new ....
Old March 12, 2009, 01:11 PM   #8
whiplash

dont forget to check with your local salvage yards. Sometimes they have drum fulls....
Old March 12, 2009, 03:48 PM   #9
flashhole

I haven't had to purchase brass in years. I guess you would say I'm a brass rat. I've also invested in the tools needed to reform range pick-up brass. The two I reform most often are 221 Fireball and 25-06. I rarely get large quantities but stock pile it by headstamp until I get a batch large enough to process and put in service. Sometimes I use the hard to find stuff for trading.

Are you ready for civil war?