The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 5, 2021, 09:12 AM   #1
simonrichter

Pump action AR15-style rifle

I own a pump-action rifle with AR15 aesthetics that's similar to this one.

Last time I cleaned the rifle, it occured to me that it features a buffer spring in the buttstock just like an actual AR15. Now I'm a bit confused: The system is locked during firing and is anyway not actuated by rapid forces like gas pressure or recoil, but (comparably slowly) by manual action. What is a massive buffer spring for in that manual system?
Old January 5, 2021, 10:31 AM   #2
stinkeypete

I have an even better question- what's the pump action for????
Old January 5, 2021, 10:49 AM   #3
ballardw

Does it help on the load (forward) stroke?

Have you tried working the action without the buffer spring?
Old January 5, 2021, 11:15 AM   #4
simonrichter

it simply IS a pump action. Easier to maintain, no dirt in the system, but the main reason is to have a rifle you can buy w/o a special permit and it still looks tacticool and takes AR parts and mags.

That's gun laws in Europe for you - and brace yourself, that sh... will be coming for you, too, sooner or later :/
Old January 5, 2021, 11:46 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Best guess, does the maker also sell a semi auto version? (not to you, but elsewhere?)

IF so, then probably uses common lower group and someone slapped the pump upper of an assembled lower and forgot to take the spring out.

Is there also a buffer, or just the buffer spring in the tube??

and, does the spring push the bolt carrier forward??
Old January 5, 2021, 12:13 PM   #6
simonrichter

no, I'm pretty sure it's not a "manualized" version of an actual AR, but still, that thought occured to me as well...

Maybe this is the wrong audience for my question, who would want that thing if he could have an actual AR instead. Although, maybe we have folks from CA or MA here as well...?
Old January 5, 2021, 07:29 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

probably because it is easier to use a standard part, than make a custom one.
Old January 5, 2021, 08:13 PM   #8
gb_in_ga

Quote:
I have an even better question- what's the pump action for????
One reason I can think of right off hand is that it would be proof against any current or future AWB.
Old January 5, 2021, 08:30 PM   #9
44caliberkid

They have pump action AR's and AK's in Australia, because of the semi auto ban. Coming to a neighborhood near you soon.
Old January 5, 2021, 09:55 PM   #10
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Pretty sure they had pump actions during the ban here.
-------Metallica
Old January 6, 2021, 12:47 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
One reason I can think of right off hand is that it would be proof against any current or future AWB.
Current? yes. Future? (shakes magic 8 ball....) Answer uncertain..ask again later....

RIGHT NOW the focus is "Semiautomatic assault weapons" but there is no certainty that will be the case in the future.

IF they decide to focus not on the action type but on ammo capacity alone, and especially if they decide to write the law basing the ban on what the weapon can hold (not what it does hold, but what it CAN hold) nothing is safe.

When they use terms such as "capable of accepting...." and do NOT further specify then anything is possible.
Old January 9, 2021, 03:58 PM   #12
berettaprofessor

Seems to me a pump action AR would be little different than the forward charging FM-9 I just purchased. What's the difference if I'm pulling back a "knob" to charge the rifle or a handguard? The FM-9 is still semi-auto after charging...just as a regular AR is as well.
Old January 9, 2021, 05:54 PM   #13
Scorch

Remington tried to make a "pump action AR" with the model 7615. Caught on like mud sandwiches. It was primarily marketed to police departments after the Northridge shootout in the 1980s to give high capacity firepower without the AR stigma. Nobody wanted them, especially PDs that were getting M16s from the military under various government programs.
Old January 10, 2021, 09:00 AM   #14
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor View Post
Seems to me a pump action AR would be little different than the forward charging FM-9 I just purchased. What's the difference if I'm pulling back a "knob" to charge the rifle or a handguard? The FM-9 is still semi-auto after charging...just as a regular AR is as well.
Pump action AR's have the gas system removed and no gas port in the barrel. So you have to pump (cycle) the action for every shot. A 9mm AR that is blow back recoil powered (not gas) would still cycle because it has an unlocked breach and doesn't need gas to operate. It would require a lock for the bolt, probably incorporated into the slide mechanism, to function legally, or it would be considered illegal under a proposed semi auto ban.
Old January 10, 2021, 09:06 AM   #15
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Remington tried to make a "pump action AR" with the model 7615. Caught on like mud sandwiches. It was primarily marketed to police departments after the Northridge shootout in the 1980s to give high capacity firepower without the AR stigma. Nobody wanted them, especially PDs that were getting M16s from the military under various government programs.
It failed because semiautos were still available. Might not be the case in places with a semi auto ban. The purpose of pump action AR's and AK's is to skirt SA and AW bans, not because anyone really wants one.
Old January 10, 2021, 12:15 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

The Remington rifle was only a "pump action AR" in that it was .223 and used the AR magazine. Everything else about the rifle was pure Remington pump, scaled for the .223.

Didn't sell well on the civilian market (who could get actual semiautos) and didn't do well in the police/prison guard market (who got actual M16s surplus, somewhere between dirt cheap and actually FREE) either.

The pump action is a "work around" for the various laws written covering semi autos. It will not be safe from new laws written without defining specific action types. We don't have those, YET, but I'm confident they will be proposed sometime in the future.