The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 14, 2020, 02:21 PM   #1
dahermit

Continuing saga of a "FrankenColt"

To refresh memory, I have a circa '70s .38 Super Colt Combat Commander that was a lemon from its beginning. I had to make several mandatory modifications (out of spec slide, battered the locking lugs) and some optional modifications.

The slide was junk so it had to be replaced. However, the gunsmith only had a 9MM slide in commander length (Series 80, but none of the Series 80 firing pin safety parts). So despite being a .38 Super, the slide says "9mm". The barrel was swapped-out at the same time as the slide, but I swapped that with an after market barrel that provided more support of the cartridge head. I fitted a N.M. bushing to the barrel.

I put Pachmayr wrap-around rubber grips on it plus a checkered rubber covered straight mainspring housing to match the grips.

I also put an aftermarket extended magazine release button to accommodate my small hands.

I swapped out the trigger of a long after market target trigger.

I also swapped-out the grip safety for a beaver-tail grip safety despite the fact that I have never been bitten by any slide on any gun...so it was just a matter of cosmetics.

I also had a local smith mill dove tails in the slide and install some Novak White dot sights.

The latest modification is an extended safety. I had previously installed an ambi safety but found that it was of doubtful benefit for a right-handed person...so I took it off.

I would replace the original Colt slide stop, but I cannot find an inexpensive extended one that fits a .38 Super.

So this is the current state of my "FrankenColt" .38 Super Combat Commander.

Old December 21, 2020, 04:06 PM   #2
rock185

Looks good to me. About the extended slide stop/release, I wouldn't. Bill Wilson wrote something about his company making them available because people wanted them, but he didn't recommend them. Mr. Wilson described the extended slide release as the "second most worthless thing you can add to a gun". The first most worthless being an ambidextrous extended slide release. Just inertia from recoil sometimes moves them upward, locking the slide to the rear as if the magazine is empty. FWIW, I did the API250 and 499 classes at Gunsite years ago, and was not hampered by using standard slide stops. I use the weak hand thumb to close the slide on reloads. I saw a Larry Vickers video the other day, noticed he does the same...
Old January 5, 2021, 08:21 PM   #3
smee78

Looks like an interesting project, I like it. I hope you get it to the level of accuracy your looking for.
Only thing I would make sure of is that the barrel is marked 38super. Wouldn't want some one to try to load 9mm in it.
Old January 6, 2021, 03:58 PM   #4
Sanch

I don't want to disparage anyone's favorite handgun, but if my experience is of help, I'll share it.

I've owned two Colt 1911-A1s. Once was a Series 70 that many Colt aficionados laud. I sunk more than the price of the gun into it to make it a reliable shooter. It never worked for me. The other was a Series 80 Officers Model. It had serious recoil system design flaws. I never trusted either.

My S&W 1911 was more reliable and accurate than my Colts, but for some reason I could never take a shine to it, probably because when I think S&W I think of its magnificent revolvers.

My experiences with Colt came darn close to damaging my natural affinity for the 1911-A1.

I bought a Springfield-Armory TRP .45 ACP. Springfield-Armory manufacturers its 1911-A1s in Genesco, IL, USA. It uses forged steel for slides and frames. The TRP has better than Gold Cup accuracy right out of the box. All I had to do was replace its rod guide recoil system with a GI plug. That gun has performed absolutely flawlessly. It was extremely reassuring to buy a 1911-A1 without having to invest $$$ to make it a reliable shooter.

If I were forced to choose which handgun I own is most accurate and reliable, I'd go with my Springfield Armory TRP to the exclusion of Sig "P" series handguns and S&W revolvers. In terms of accuracy, I'd rank my Sig P229 above S&W revolvers in terms of accuracy and reliability.

This is just my guess and nothing more: considering only factory loads, standard pressure and +P, Springfield Armory TRP and Sig P229 would outlast any endurance test.

BTW, I bought my TRP before I leaned that Chris Kyle carried one in combat.

A 1911-A1 aficionado could spend a lot more on a 1911-A1 than the price of a Springfield Armory TRP; however, that extra money will not buy a better quality gun.

Of course, as is true with most posts on gun boards, much of the above is my opinion based upon my experiences.
Old January 6, 2021, 05:29 PM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee78 View Post
Looks like an interesting project, I like it. I hope you get it to the level of accuracy your looking for.
Only thing I would make sure of is that the barrel is marked 38super. Wouldn't want some one to try to load 9mm in it.
It has an adequate level of accuracy given that being a Combat Commander, it is a combat gun, not a match target gun. The problem that started the how customization issue was not a lack of accuracy, but was the slide lugs were so out of spec that they were battering the hell out of the barrel locking lugs. The slide had to be discarded/replaced.
And yes, the barrel is roll-marked ".38 Super".
Old January 6, 2021, 05:32 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
I don't want to disparage anyone's favorite handgun, but if my experience is of help, I'll share it.

I've owned two Colt 1911-A1s. Once was a Series 70 that many Colt aficionados laud. I sunk more than the price of the gun into it to make it a reliable shooter. It never worked for me. The other was a Series 80 Officers Model. It had serious recoil system design flaws. I never trusted either.

My S&W 1911 was more reliable and accurate than my Colts, but for some reason I could never take a shine to it, probably because when I think S&W I think of its magnificent revolvers.

My experiences with Colt came darn close to damaging my natural affinity for the 1911-A1.

I bought a Springfield-Armory TRP .45 ACP. Springfield-Armory manufacturers its 1911-A1s in Genesco, IL, USA. It uses forged steel for slides and frames. The TRP has better than Gold Cup accuracy right out of the box. All I had to do was replace its rod guide recoil system with a GI plug. That gun has performed absolutely flawlessly. It was extremely reassuring to buy a 1911-A1 without having to invest $$$ to make it a reliable shooter.

If I were forced to choose which handgun I own is most accurate and reliable, I'd go with my Springfield Armory TRP to the exclusion of Sig "P" series handguns and S&W revolvers. In terms of accuracy, I'd rank my Sig P229 above S&W revolvers in terms of accuracy and reliability.

This is just my guess and nothing more: considering only factory loads, standard pressure and +P, Springfield Armory TRP and Sig P229 would outlast any endurance test.

BTW, I bought my TRP before I leaned that Chris Kyle carried one in combat.

A 1911-A1 aficionado could spend a lot more on a 1911-A1 than the price of a Springfield Armory TRP; however, that extra money will not buy a better quality gun.

Of course, as is true with most posts on gun boards, much of the above is my opinion based upon my experiences.
Don't concern yourself with disparaging my gun...I am certainly no "Colt Fanboy". I have had my problems with Colt...more than just this one.

As a matter of fact, my next "Colt" will be a Ruger SR1911 if I ever get another 1911, which is doubtful due to my age and condition.