The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 25, 2020, 01:13 PM   #1
RRPG

WW2 Cartridge Case Headstamps - German 7.92mm and British 303

Hi All

I am hopeful that you may find the below useful. I have put together comprehensive guides to the headstamps of 7.92mm German WW2 cartridge cases as well as British 303s.

In the past, when trying to identify manufacturers of both these cartridges, I have had to visit multiple websites to get the information I need. I decided that I can't be the only one having to do this so decided to put together these guides, with information taken from the web and other reference sources. I would love to be able to post the guides here in their entirety, but they are just too big to post on a forum.

I will get round to doing the same thing for US 30cal at some point in the near future and will update this post when I have done so.

I hope you find the guides useful.

RRPG

303 cartridge case headstamps - https://stephentaylorhistorian.com/2...and-much-more/

German 7.92mm cartridge case headstamps - https://stephentaylorhistorian.com/2...facturer-list/

stephentaylorhistorian.com
Old September 26, 2020, 01:06 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Go here.
http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes
Old September 26, 2020, 02:50 PM   #3
RRPG

That is a well known general reference for small arms headstamps, and it does not explain anything other than manufacturer codes. The guides I have produced show how the headstamp is constructed, what each portion means, lists plating firms, steel composition codes, suffixes, prefixes, internal stamps, stamps on base of bullets, cartridge colour coding............much much more than the cartridgecollector list.

Old September 26, 2020, 04:45 PM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

Hey RR,
That is what I call a comprehensive guide!
Thank you for compiling and sharing such info.

JT
Old September 27, 2020, 04:30 PM   #5
RRPG

Thanks JT