The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 5, 2020, 07:56 AM   #51
Kevin Rohrer

Would just like to get people’s opinions on this type of scenario. I think it makes a difference in what type of firearm(s) you choose, if you consider you may be forced to clear rooms by yourself to protect your kids. I think a long gun would be best if you are bunkered down in one position, but not so much maneuvering through hallways etc, if you have to...

Unless you live in a house the size of Buckingham Palace, take the wife, phone, and home defense rifle and walk the thirty feet to your kids' bedroom.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 5, 2020, 09:38 AM   #52
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rorher
Unless you live in a house the size of Buckingham Palace, take the wife, phone, and home defense rifle and walk the thirty feet to your kids' bedroom.
Wow! I never would have thought of that. It's almost like nobody out there lives in a split level home or has kid's rooms in the basement or the reverse.
Old December 5, 2020, 04:00 PM   #53
FireForged

Quote:
Its not really about how big the space might be. Its about exposure, no matter how brief. I get it though, if you gotta go, you gotta go. If that is someones situation, you wont have to tell them, it goes without saying.

Additionally, in the region of the Country where I live, parents are most often downstairs and the children are up stairs on the other end of the home. About the only time that parents bedrooms are in close proximity is when a very small child ( infant) is concerned. The split level "shotgun" style home is all the rage around these parts. I dont really care for the style and it took me forever to find a traditional rancher style home.

Last edited by FireForged; December 5, 2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old December 5, 2020, 09:55 PM   #54
Kevin Rohrer

Wow! I never would have thought of that. It's almost like nobody out there lives in a split level home or has kid's rooms in the basement or the reverse.

The problem is that too many people on these forums overthink simple things.

However, if someone feels the need for a home defense plan involving protecting little ones and the problem you have described exists, then first-off sleeping arrangements need to be modified. After that you may refer to my original message.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; December 5, 2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old December 5, 2020, 10:05 PM   #55
JohnKSa
Staff

A solution is not simple merely because it can be summarized in a single sentence.

Example: Send three people to the moon with a rocket and bring them back safely.

Simple summary, but the implementation was extremely complex and involved considerable risk. (And no, I'm not trying to claim that getting to other innocents in a house that is being invaded is as complex as a moon landing--it's just an example of how something with a solution that can be stated very simply can still be complex and risky to implement.)

Delving into the details of implementation and trying to minimize risk is really what this particular part of TFL is about. That might not be everyone's cup of tea, and it should be easy to understand why when someone like that participates in exchanges in this part of TFL it might be frustrating, both for them and for others.
Old December 5, 2020, 10:33 PM   #56
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
Keeping in mind that the insurance companies and assorted PD's think a B&E into an empty house and plain old trespass is a home invasion.
Not around here. My PD makes a very clear distinction between burglary (robbing an unoccupied house) and a home invasion (busting into a house while folks are at home).
Jeepaholic
Old December 6, 2020, 04:39 AM   #57
Brit

From A/Q. Not around here. My PD makes a very clear distinction between burglary (robbing an unoccupied house) and a home invasion (busting into a house while folks are at home).
And so it should be A/Q.

Our Grand-Kids are 8 of them. Live from California to Canada. And aged from 30 YOA, to 6 YOA. So our abode is a two-story Town House. Here in Gods Country, Florida, home invasions are few and far between. So it will never be a situation where we will have occasion to move anywhere to protect anyone, we live in an upstairs bedroom, and reference a protector? That's me.
All 5' 9" 202 lbs of 85-year-old Grandad. Mind you we are having many NY residents leaving that City behind, and flooding here, leaving the crime and huge taxes behind! Why not, I was 36 years in Canada, till 40 below weather finally got to us!

As all you Ladies and Gentlemen have noticed, there is a huge difference between Democratic and Republican States? And their Citys?

And it appears the affluent ex-residents of New York seem to be no current problem. They might even start appearing on these pages. As new owners of firearms? As our Florida Sheriffs are fond of saying "Criminals come on down, our folks are well-armed"
Old December 7, 2020, 05:26 PM   #58
zoo

Quote:
Not around here. My PD makes a very clear distinction between burglary (robbing an unoccupied house) and a home invasion (busting into a house while folks are at home).
AB, you need to get yourself informed as to the legal definitions of burglary and robbery in your state, heck, ANY state. Lol.