The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 25, 2020, 11:20 AM   #1
gunsrfun1

Old Beaver Gunsmith reduced power spring for TC Compass - Any good?

I've got a TC Compass II that has a 4-lb. trigger pull, which I'm ok with. But I wouldn't mind a bit less.
Anyone have any experience with the above-named product? The reviews I see are generally good, but it appears most of the reviewers have the older Compass I with the heavy trigger, not the Compass II with the improved trigger. Plus, a few reviews mention the gun failing a drop test after installation, which is a disqualifier for me.
Looking for those with first-hand experience with this product in a Compass II.
Thanks

Last edited by gunsrfun1; December 26, 2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old December 25, 2020, 06:12 PM   #2
lordmorgul

Old Beaver Gunsmith reduced power spring for TC Compass - Any good?

I don’t know about that one, but the spring replacement from M-Carbo is great in my TC Compass. It is not a cheap spring kit, but you get a target and hunting setup of about 2lbs and 4lbs, and the adjustment doesn’t have to be full compressed to get that. You can find some springs to work on your own or buy, I went with buy and out in the 2 lbs kit in mine. It ended up a bit lighter than that and I’m happy with the feel.

I self tested drop for mine and seemed ok, but there are a lot of drop angles to fully test that. Mine took a 3ft drop directly onto stock. My rifle has the green dot that indicates it had the factory fix before sale but is the original design with that recall fix, then changed spring kit from M Carbo and I adjusted the trigger stop and polished sear so it’s far from a factory trigger now.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old December 25, 2020, 06:33 PM   #3
gunsrfun1

Thanks Andrew. Sounds like you may have the original Compass, not the Compass II that I have. (Let me know if I am wrong.)
I've had mixed results with Mcarbo stuff; sometimes their spring kits work, and sometimes they don't.
Since I am at 4 lbs. now, I may just leave well enough alone. I haven't shot the gun yet anyway, so I should see how it runs first. This will mainly be used for some fun-target shooting and maybe some hunting, so 4 lbs. isn't that awful. Two lbs. would be too light for me.
Thanks again.
Old December 26, 2020, 02:40 AM   #4
pgdion

I dropped one in mine, best 11 bucks ever spent. Trigger is excellent now, so is the whole rifle IMO. Other upgrade, I added on a full scope rail from EGW.
Old December 26, 2020, 08:52 AM   #5
gunsrfun1

pgdion - Did you install this in a Compass I or Compass II? There is a big difference in the factory triggers for those models. Thanks
Old December 26, 2020, 12:15 PM   #6
lordmorgul

Mine is the Compass I. I also bought the EGW full l engaged 20MOA rail, it worked nicely.

I get the reservation with 2 lbs. mine was intended to be a bench/range toy for my longer range learning process, in the same vein as the “Savage $1k 1000 yard gun” videos out there.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old December 26, 2020, 04:31 PM   #7
pgdion

Installed in the Compass 1, where there is the adjustable trigger .... but it is heavy even on the lightest setting. Kind of more like the Compass 1.5 .... it has the threaded barrel. Bought it last spring just before the Compass II came out.
Old December 26, 2020, 04:56 PM   #8
pgdion

Lordmorgul, same here. I wanted a light weight, long range target rifle and I didn't want to break the bank. The TC's have a pretty good barrel on them.. We have a Venture in .270 and it is phenomenal. And with the spring kit, I really like the trigger.