The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 5, 2020, 07:12 PM   #1
CalvinH

Lightweight 5.56 can for my AR

I am currently considering the TBAC ultra and the Banish 223 (or Banish 30) for a 5.56 AR with a 16" barrel. I like both of these as they are quite light (about 10 oz.) and appear to be very effective at knocking down the sound. The TBAC is quite scarce right now, but the Banish availability looks good. Are there others that should be added to the list knowing that keeping the weight low (under 14 oz) is one of my priorities? Thanks.
P.S. one thing I like about the Banish is that it is straightforward to disassemble and clean as needed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old December 6, 2020, 03:03 AM   #2
Eight_is_enough

I have a Banish 223 and a Banish 30. Keep in mind that both Banish and TBAC put restrictions on your rate of fire, as these thin, lightweight baffles will NOT hold up to excess heat. You can fire a few closely spaced rounds through them, but then you have to let the can cool for a minute or two, depending on the air temperature that day. The full-auto rated cans are, of course, heavy.

Which brings up another reason I like the Banish -- if I do toast a rear baffle (or should I ever get a baffle strike from letting the can shoot loose) it is cheap and easy to get it replaced in the Banish. TBAC has to cut the Ultra apart to do any repair, and it is not cheap.

If you may ever want to shoot a larger bullet and don't want to have to buy two, get the 30-cal can. It does not attenuate the crack of the .22-cal bullet quite as well as the 223-cal can does, but it is very close. Either is wonderful compared to shooting unsuppressed.

If you get the Banish, immediately order one of the Chicago Rock Tumblers (often on eBay used for $60) and build one of the PVC pipe chambers shown in the video below. You can buy a 12" long piece of 4" PVC pipe on eBay cheap, then just handsaw it down to 9-3/8". Cut straightness is not critical because you are going to glue an end-cap there anyway.

The guy is doing brass in his modified Chicago but the system works great for baffles, too. Get a couple of pounds of SS pins (which are softer than the titanium alloy baffles) and some Dawn and you will be good to go, though I usually boil my dirty baffles in cheap vinegar (outside, not in the kitchen) for an hour to soften up the carbon before putting them in the tumbler. That cuts the tumble time way down.

Pour your wet, dirty pins into an old chamois shirt to strain off the water, then spread them on a cookie sheet to dry. You may want to set the tumbler on the cookie sheet when operating, too, to be sure you tightened the lid down adequately. Don't ask how I know that.

Banish recommends cleaning every 50 rounds, but that is, of course, not practical at times. Once you see how much carbon builds up in the can after 500 rounds you will be glad you got a can you can easily clean yourself.

Good luck and enjoy!

Rock Tumbler video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roN67_oGpx8

Last edited by Eight_is_enough; December 6, 2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old December 6, 2020, 08:44 AM   #3
CalvinH

I am really thinking of getting a dedicated suppressor for the 5.56. I don't plan to. Do anything for my current .22s. Larger cals would require an additional suppressor down the road (obviously, but I have no other threaded barrels at this time).

As for cleaning, I thought the 5.56 was fairly clean and wouldn't have necessitated a can cleaning for at least 500 rounds. Am I wrong? How do the sealed cans address this?

Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old December 6, 2020, 08:52 AM   #4
Logs

Just don't buy an AAC or Huntertown Arms Cans since they are both out of business. I bought a AAC just before the Covid stuff and now it is very hard to find muzzle devices in 51T to put on other rifles.
Old December 6, 2020, 02:17 PM   #5
Eight_is_enough

Just keep in mind that once you shoot one caliber suppressed you are likely to want to shoot more calibers suppressed, as it is a MUCH more enjoyable way to shoot, both in terms of noise reduction and recoil reduction. It is usually pretty easy to get barrels threaded.

But the downside is cleaning. I would say that just about all the CF's are clean compared to rimfire, but they still get very dirty. Most sealed can owners deal with by ignoring it until their can weighs twice as much as when new.

You can ignore the carbon buildup with a Banish, too, and you are no worse off than you would be with a sealed can, but the longer you go without cleaning the Banish the harder it is going to be to get your can apart and to clean the internals when you do finally clean.

For me the answer came with the discovery of the rotary tumbler and SS pins. That makes it so easy to clean the internals that I don't mind cleaning every 100 rounds or so.

Last edited by Eight_is_enough; December 6, 2020 at 03:03 PM.