The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 18, 2018, 12:20 PM   #26
riffraff

This post prompted me to look a little harder at 6.5 gren..

Is a very cool round all and all, almost the reach of .308 in practical terms, but wow the stuff is expensive in anything i see except steel case (and i dont run any such ammo)..

Looks like 90 cents a shot on the cheap end, is that really right? If so man thats rough, i can get 180 grain .308 for 75 cents and lots of cheaper brass options if one isnt picky on details. Maybe something im not seeing?
Old April 18, 2018, 12:58 PM   #27
Bartholomew Roberts

.300 BLK - is optimized for short barrels (9” specifically). In an 18”-20” barrel, you are going to get a very mild velocity increase for the increased length.

7.62x39 - bolts tend to be more fragile and the increased taper makes fitting a 30rd magazine in an AR magwell a technical challenge. Lots of people like them though.

6.5, 6.8, .25-45 - all are going to do well for what you describe and be fairly versatile.

.22 Nosler, .224 Valkyrie - like .223 but faster
Old April 18, 2018, 01:17 PM   #28
ndking1126

Quote:
Maybe something im not seeing?
riffraff, I'm afraid you are right, at least as far as I can tell. And if your particular rifle doesn't like Hornady Black, things just got even worse. I love 6.5 Grendel, but feeding it is a bit of pain. Precision Firearms produces many multiple 6.5 rounds that are supposed to be really good, but they work out to be over $2 a round after shipping.

I could sell 3 or 4 of the rifles in my collection because the 6.5G will do everything they do as well or better. It's a fantastic round, but unfortunately not much is made for it right now.
Old April 18, 2018, 01:18 PM   #29
Mobuck

Again, just my opinion: The 6.5 G is a marginally better paper puncher when used with a longer barrel while the 6.8 is both better suited to shorter (16-18") barrels and hunting.
When comparing published ballistics charts, pay attention to the tested barrel length and you'll see what I mean. Most 6.8 ammo is listed out of a carbine length barrel while the "looks better on paper" 6.5G is making those numbers out of a significantly longer barrel.
I own AR uppers in both calibers and wouldn't have to think long about which I'd do without first.

Regarding the cost of ammo: I don't consider either round a "high volume" blaster choice---that would be .223, 5.45, or 7.62x39.
Old April 18, 2018, 03:25 PM   #30
Damon555

The Grendel is starting to take off in popularity. The ammo manufacturers have been slow to respond.....which is understandable considering the fact that they don't want to invest a bunch of money in what might turn out to be a dog. As more offerings come to market the prices "should" fall in line accordingly.

My 6.5 G has a 20" barrel and I also have a 6mmAR (which is simply a 6.5G necked down to 6mm) that has a 24" barrel. Of course I won't be toting around the longer gun very much except for varmint hunting from a fixed positions. The 20" Grendel is not difficult to carry around....It's primary use will be coyotes and ground hogs with the occasional bench session thrown in there for fun.

For the type of shooting that you are talking about there's no need to worry about having a few extra inches of barrel if you go that route. Of course if you are concerned about current ammo prices and availability you will want to look at the other popular mid caliber offerings....of which there are quite a few.
Old April 18, 2018, 10:39 PM   #31
riffraff

The barrel length is an interesting point too on the 6.5 gren - eliminates some of the magic - sure it fits into the same platform but it takes a lot longer to get the round going is the drawback.

Lots of comparisons out there on 6.5 gren and why it's better than .308, but I guess what they don't say is .308 does the same thing or even a little better out of a 16 inch barrel (and of course it hits you and the target a lot harder too). That and .308 costs half as much.
Old April 20, 2018, 09:46 AM   #32
Hdonly

I am all in with my 7.62x39 upper on my standard Anderson lower. With the Privi rounds for hunting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg snrp.jpg (165.6 KB, 74 views)