The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 4, 2018, 11:59 AM   #1
gmarr

C308 Break-in

I have a new Century C308. Love it. Started shooting it and am having this problem.

After a couple of magazines it locks up. I need to field strip and oil then put it together and it starts running again. I've read that others have/are having this same problem and use a specific lubricant to help with the 'break-in' process.

So, what's a good lubricant to use? Thanks in advance.
Old April 4, 2018, 01:38 PM   #2
PlatinumCore16

I have a C308 and similarly love it, but I did not have this issue.
What specifically locks up? Is this one of the new production runs or an older one?

If you've been doing research I'm sure that you've read many, many, MANY, accounts of the terrible assembly quality from Century. The C93 were some of the worst, but the C308 was also affected by this.

Did you check the bolt gap? Did you look at the bolt face and the rear of the bolt? What size are the size of the rollers?
Old April 4, 2018, 02:34 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

How does it "lock up"? Fixing that it highly unlikely to be done with just lube. It sounds like there are parts that do not fit properly. Suggest you contact Century.
"...the 'break-in' process..." No rifle, even one from Century, should require a 'break-in' process.
Old April 5, 2018, 07:21 AM   #4
Mobuck

Lube it till it drools.
Old April 5, 2018, 10:53 AM   #5
ttarp

Thats pretty strange, I usually shoot my PTR's bone dry, no lube at all, and I've never had an issue. I'd also be curious to know how exactly its locking up.
Old April 5, 2018, 09:18 PM   #6
hodaka

Sounds like something is wrong. I have a C308 and have had a PTR and an HK. They run wet or dry, clean or dirty. Not as accurate as an M1A or an AR but the will run.
Old April 5, 2018, 10:16 PM   #7
youngridge

The one thing that steered me to go for the PTR was some of the mixed reviews from the C308’s. Was hoping century would have them resolved by now as I still don’t have a PTR and the price point on the C308 is excellent.

Let us know what fixes it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 5, 2018, 10:29 PM   #8
drobs

I had a Cetme like that. There's a clearing technique for HK type rifles called the pogo stick method. This is where you put your boot on the charging handle and pogo stick the rifle.

Another safer method is to hook the charging handle on a bench or wall and push the rifle forward to clear the stuck case.

Most likely your bolt & rollers are out of specification. Century was known to grind bolts on the Cetme and 91 clones back in the day (1990's - early 2000's). Wouldn't surprise me that they are still doing that.

Seems PTR is now doing warranty work for Century. It might be worth the effort to send it in.

More reading here:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-...ap-please.html
Old April 5, 2018, 11:32 PM   #9
tangolima

Sounds like the rifle may have oversized rollers. Check bolt gap and try a set smaller rollers.

The chamber should be fluted. Doesn't hurt to check.

Lube till it drips is reserved for ARs. Roller lock doesn't need that. It doesn't need breaking in either.

-TL
Old April 17, 2018, 10:48 AM   #10
davidsog

Quote:
Sounds like something is wrong. I have a C308 and have had a PTR and an HK. They run wet or dry, clean or dirty. Not as accurate as an M1A or an AR but the will run.
I agree. Something is wrong. Century Arms lack of quality control has managed to single handedly take a service rifle with an excellent end user reputation for accuracy as well as reliability in the real world of military small arms and turn it upside down.

I disagree on the accuracy of a service rifle configuration M-14/Base M1A model or M16/M-4 vs a service rifle G3. All things being equal, the floating barrel of the service G3 wins in the accuracy department vs designs that do not have a floating barrel such as the M-14/M-16 family.

A service rifle HK G-3 has a true free floating barrel and properly assembled, the barrel only contacts the trunnion.

That being said, aftermarket modifications can easily make either rifle design (M-14/Base M1A/AR15) more accurate than a service G3.
Old April 17, 2018, 10:51 AM   #11
davidsog

Quote:
It doesn't need breaking in either.
The manufacturer recommends a break in period because the barrel/trunnion will settle. It is normal for your bolt gap to change on a new rifle until the weapon has fired ~300 rounds.

It is "broken in" when the bolt gap remains stable and within limits.
Old April 18, 2018, 08:13 AM   #12
Destructo6

Quote:
After a couple of magazines it locks up.
Exactly what does this mean?

Does the weapon stop firing? Does a spent case stick in the chamber? Is it impossible to open the action with the charging handle?

Keep all of them clean.