The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2007, 02:08 PM   #1
gregortr

New Mossberg Barrel

Ok this may be another rookie question... but I need a new barrel for my mossberg 500. I have the special hunter slug gun and it has a rifled barrel. I would like to get a smooth bore also. Looking at the gun I was thinking it holds 5+1 but other barrels hold can hold 6 or more. Wouldn't this make a difference of how long the barrel screw would attach on the mag tube? So do I have to find a barrel made for this 5 mag tube setup? Any links? Much appreciated as always, thanks fellas!
Old November 20, 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Yes you have to get a barrel that will fit your particular length mag tube (standard is 5+1).

Not sure what type of barrel you are looking for, but www.havlinsales.com has LE/Tactical 18.5" accu-choke (screw in chokes) barrels for 69.99 plus shipping (look under the tactical accessories or close out barrels tabs).

Most 18.5" barrels you find will be cylinder bore unchoked barrels. I just bought one and it was on my doorstep 2 days after purchase. I think it cost me 81.00 total.
Old November 20, 2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Wiskey_33

A lot of people will also say that your pattern is going to depend on the ammo you use as well.
Old November 20, 2007, 03:14 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For an extra 20 bucks you can contact Mossberg and they will ask the serial number and send you the right barrel.
For the most part 500 model guns are 5+1! The 590 is an 8+1. if you want a HD barrel than 18.5 inch cylindrical is fine but to hunt much I would get at least 20 inch and threaded for chokes. Than you can put in the CYL in for HD and tighter to hunt.
Brent
Old December 1, 2007, 10:30 PM   #5
GunnNutt

I bought a NIB vent rib, screw-in choke barrel from Havlin for my old 500 riot gun. Came to like $80 with the barrel and 3 chokes and tool. Way better price than I could find anywhere else online. Only downside is the barrel's camo painted, not blue. I figure it's less prone to rust that way, and the gun is my truck/beater SG anyway. You can also still find the 500 Combos on sale periodically for not much more than full price on a barrel.
Old December 7, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6
cabbynate

Quote:
Most 18.5" barrels you find will be cylinder bore unchoked barrels. I just bought one and it was on my doorstep 2 days after purchase. I think it cost me 81.00 total.
Can you shoot slugs with this barrel?
Old December 7, 2007, 10:26 AM   #7
rantingredneck

Foster or brenneke KO type slugs, yes. I would use an Imp Cyl choke to do so, though I've done it with Modified with OK accuracy. IC gives the best out of my barrel.