The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 14, 2018, 12:57 PM   #1
LBussy

Ruger MK IV first thoughts, kudos and complaints

Some time back I started a thread about which .22 auto I should buy. Sort of during that thread's lifespan I came across a great price on a MK III. I purchased that and put about 1,000 rounds through it. I also forced myself to learn the eccentricities of the takedown and subsequently learned to hate that design. Yes I know there are a lot of you who don't think it's bad - I gave it a fair shot and hated that design. I LIKED how it shot though.

After some research and some soul-searching about what I wanted I decided upon a MK IV Competition model. Let me say I LOVE the take-down. I am also very pleased with the capabilities and ergo design. Granted, a leftie may not think very much of the grips but I'm not a leftie. The MK IV's take-down design is light years ahead of the previous models.

After about 1,000 rounds through this gun I decided that I would go ahead and get some trigger work. The trigger was not as good as the one in the MK III, but even the MK III was sloppy in my hand. I opted for the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit based on reports I have read on the Internet and heard face to face from other Ruger MK X fanatics. Looking inside the grip assembly, I decided that I did not want to do the work myself, and instead chose to have Volquartsen install the kit. If someone out there is adding up the cost, you will note that I'm at just over $200 by now. A pretty expensive trigger job for someone who is more used to 1911 work. Since I experienced a few stovepipes with the stock pistol I also opted for the Bolt Tune Up Kit, which includes their very-well reviewed extractor.

I emailed Volquartsen's customer support before my purchase, and was answered within 30 minutes by Scott Volquartsen. Now maybe this is his job, I don't know how many of the company's namesakes work there, but it impressed me that the response was so quick. It also left me feeling like the answer was authoritative - who else but a Volquartsen could answer with such authority? Along with answers to the other questions I asked, Scott offered to install the Bolt Tune Up Kit at no further charge. Yes I could have managed this relatively small matter, but there was no harm and perhaps some benefit to having them do that as well. I shipped off my grip assembly and bolt to Volquartsen via USPS.

The USPS part was a mistake apparently. I watched the tracking as my box went to Des Moines, then back to Kansas City, then back to Des Moines. I marveled at this example of American efficiency and wondered why the Post Office would ever lose money. Five business days later (Priority Mail and 230 miles away) I saw that the package was delivered to their PO Box. That afternoon I received notice from Volquartsen that my package was received and work was beginning. I want to say two business days later (it may have even been the next day) I received notice that my parts were done, test fired, and on their way back.

I received the box two days later (FedEx, not USPS) and was a little dismayed. My bolt was nowhere to be seen. It was after 5:00 and a call to Volquartsen went to voicemail. I decided to send an email and again, within 30 minutes I received a response from Scott Volquartsen. He copied in another employee to look at the issue first thing. After a very brief exchange, I was taken care of to my satisfaction. ANYONE can make a mistake, I believe the real measure of a company is how they treat their customer and how they resolve any mistakes if they are made. I was impressed with how I was handled and am quite happy with the resolution.

The first fry-fire with the new trigger elicited that sort of grin and chuckle that only a real trigger snob could understand. A trip to the range reinforced this feeling. There was an ever so slight amount of take-up, a very crisp break, and almost no over-travel. Reset was clean and uniform. I would heartily recommend this kit to anyone who wanted more from their MK I, II, III, IV or 22/45 trigger. After a few magazines I did not have any stovepipes either so I believe that issue was also addressed. My range time was cut short however.

I was at 25 feet shooting targets that were 3" across. For the most part, and without any particular attention to record-setting form I was getting 2" groups from a 10 round magazine. I was mostly testing the trigger, not going for bulls-eyes. Soon however I was all over the target and was completely missing the target a few shots later. I stopped, uttered a few arcane words, and investigated the issue. My front sight was loose. I borrowed an Allen wrench that fit the screw and tried shooting again. Three magazines later it was loose again of course. When I got home I applied some thread locker and re-tightened. I don't expect it to loosen again.

I was surprised and disappointed that the sight loosened up. The screw very obviously had no sort of retention compound on it from the factory. It's one of those things ... I don't think it should have happened, I don't think it was right. It was too easy to fix myself so sending it back to Ruger would have been silly. I'm left feeling like Ruger should at least know but there's no sense in contacting customer service because there's no problem for them to fix. I don't think I've ever had a gun that relied upon a single screw to surface mount the front sight. Certainly it should have either been a different mount, or if it was to rely completely on one screw that screw should have had some thread locker.

So there's my whole story. To sum it up I love the MK IV design for take-down. I love how the gun shoots. I love the trigger (now). I am very impressed with Volquartsen's customer service. I'm not too impressed with the front sight on the MK IV but I think it will be fine now. It's a great gun and it will be part of my range time every week.

Thanks for reading.
Old April 15, 2018, 05:51 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Kudos to Volksquartsen for customer service! I don't get too bent out of shape if a company makes a mistake. (If it consistently makes mistakes, that's a different story, but a mistake now and again is going to happen.) I'm much more concerned about how it handles its mistake. If a company will try to fix its mistake with a minimum of hassle to me, we're good.

Mrs. McGee has a 22/45, and I've been considering a Voiksquartsen kit for it. I have a 22/45 Lite and while I've considered a VQ kit for it, that one's probably not going to happen. Mrs. McGee enjoys something more along the lines of bullseye shooting, while I'm just a plinker. I think she'll get more benefit from a trigger kit than I would.

Both of our pistols are MK IVs, and I've been tickled with them. My Lite had some digestion problems on the first range trip, but those appear to have cleared up. On the second range trip, everything ran fine. I suspect, but do not really know, that it was a mag problem. I only took my Lite on the first range trip and, when I got home, I noticed that the mags felt a little tacky. I took them apart and cleaned them. On the second range trip, Mrs. McGee and I both went and we took both pistols. My Lite ran like a top and Mrs. McGee's 22/45 gobbled up everything we put in the mag, from the very beginning. We just have to figure out what hers actually likes.

I love the simple takedown of the Mark IV. I know that others say takedown and reassembly of the older models wasn't a big deal, but I found it to be a huge PITA. That is, in fact, my only complaint about the older Marks. The Mark IV solves that. I don't have enough rounds through it to give a long-term use review, but after a few hundred rounds, I think it's a great pistol. Now I just need to get a suppressor for mine.
Old April 15, 2018, 06:15 AM   #3
fourbore

I have the Mk IV and installed the VQ kit. DIY, saves some money. The trigger is very poor, out of the box, for a competition model.

The gun should not stove pipe and that should be fixed by Ruger for free. Unless it was just a magazine problem, which I suspect. Edit: I may not udnerstand if the stove pipe is loaded or empty case. Many recommend a brick of CCI minimag for break in then change over to cci std vel for lifetime shooting.

I have read a lot about extractors but I have not seen the need. I have multiples Mk I, II, III and IVs. Still there must be something to that, I just dont see it.

The front screw is "no excuse" typical current Ruger QC.

I also have a host of little problems with I chose to fix myself (Ruger sent me free parts) and I be darn if I can even remember them all now. There was a pin that holds the push button take down that was walking out. I had to tweak a spring. The rear site blade internal tabs broke when I moved the windage. It is best to unload the pressure before turning the screw. All I can remember. The gun shoots great. Five shots under and inch at 25 yards all easy.

I also had a Mk III and in addition to the trigger, I removed the loaded chamber indicator and installed a slot filler. Less little QC problems. Much worse design than either Mk II or Mk IV.

Ruger quality seems to be worse every year. I got a new Blackhawk this year and had multiple issues with that both fitment and repairs. Three total. All DIY with parts from Ruger.

Last edited by fourbore; April 15, 2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old April 15, 2018, 06:28 AM   #4
fourbore

The Mk IV has a redesign firing pin with a hole that creates a weak spot. Normally you think a Ruger can be dry fired all day long. Not the Mk IV. I never dry fire any rimfire, except by accident or if required for take down. Some have broken with out dry fire (or so the owner claimed) and resulted in damaged barrels. The aftermarket has responded with solid firing pins. I installed a VQ replacement as a precaution.

You can Google into the RFC forum for more details.

Just to be clear, the Mk I,II,III firing pins do not have that extra hole.

Last edited by fourbore; April 15, 2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old April 15, 2018, 09:54 AM   #5
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
Mrs. McGee has a 22/45 Target, and I've been considering a Voiksquartsen kit for it. I have a 22/45 Lite and while I've considered a VQ kit for it, that one's probably not going to happen. Mrs. McGee enjoys something more along the lines of bullseye shooting, while I'm just a plinker. I think she'll get more benefit from a trigger kit than I would.
The improvement really was night and day. Now *should* I have had to get a trigger job on a "Competition" model? That's up for argument. The trigger on my Gold Cup is awesome out of the box. The fact however is that the original on this MK IV was mushy and the replacement is worth what I paid for it in my opinion. If you get it for the Mrs., you may decide you need one as well.

Quote:
I love the simple takedown of the Mark IV. I know that others say takedown and reassembly of the older models wasn't a big deal, but I found it to be a huge PITA. That is, in fact, my only complaint about the older Marks.
I agree. Whenever I complain about the take-down, owners of the older models chime in and say how they are not all that bad. Maybe they are not bad enough for those people to replace their guns, but for me there was no question. As a matter of fact I would have just purchased a Volquartsen if it were not for the fact that they are designed after the older model take-down system. I suspect patent infringement decisions come into play there.

Quote:
Now I just need to get a suppressor for mine.
I thought about a threaded barrel for that purpose but at the end of the day I just would not have gotten the return on that. Plus, I really like the slab-sided barrel on this model. I am primarily a range shooter and it makes no sense to me to have a whisper-quiet .22 when the knuckle-dragger next to me is shooting .44 mag as fast as he can feed it. If I ever change my mind, I know where to send it for the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I have the Mk IV and installed the VQ kit. DIY, saves some money. The trigger is very poor, out of the box, for a competition model.
Maybe I could have, but it's a lot less stressful for me to have someone qualified handle it. Some folks enjoy that part - I don't. I know my limitations.

Quote:
The gun should not stove pipe and that should be fixed by Ruger for free. Unless it was just a magazine problem, which I suspect. Edit: I may not udnerstand if the stove pipe is loaded or empty case. Many recommend a brick of CCI minimag for break in then change over to cci std vel for lifetime shooting.
Stovepipe (to me) is when the fired cartridge does not eject fully and is left sticking out of the action. There is a body of knowledge that points to a possibility of a magazine problem, but I found more information pointing to the ejector so that's what I chose to address. I only have a few hundred rounds through it since the change because of that sight loosening up, so we'll have to see how that choice works out. I did break it in with CCI MiniMags, two bricks actually. Great stuff but the price has gotten out of control.

Quote:
The front screw is "no excuse" typical current Ruger QC.

I also have a host of little problems with I chose to fix myself (Ruger sent me free parts) and I be darn if I can even remember them all now. There was a pin that holds the push button take down that was walking out. I had to tweak a spring. The rear site blade internal tabs broke when I moved the windage. It is best to unload the pressure before turning the screw. All I can remember. The gun shoots great. Five shots under and inch at 25 yards all easy.

I also had a Mk III and in addition to the trigger, I removed the loaded chamber indicator and installed a slot filler. Less little QC problems. Much worse design than either Mk II or Mk IV.

Ruger quality seems to be worse every year. I got a new Blackhawk this year and had multiple issues with that both fitment and repairs. Three total. All DIY with parts from Ruger.
Ruger customer service has always been top-notch for me. I just had to weigh the probable outcome with the cost (both soft and actual) of shipping the gun back to Ruger. For instance if I sent the gun back for the ejector work, I might have a fine running gun but then again they would be replacing any parts with more stamped metal pieces that could exhibit the same thing. Would they stand behind it? I have no reason to believe they would not. It's just that I chose not to have the hassle. Same with fixing the sight. A drop of Permatex and a wrench is not a big deal to me despite my desire not to tinker. Still, there's the real fact that the more things we fix ourselves, the more Ruger is rewarded by saving money on manufacturing process and QC.

Quote:
The Mk IV has a redesign firing pin with a hole that creates a weak spot. Normally you think a Ruger can be dry fired all day long. Not the Mk IV. I never dry fire any rimfire, except by accident or if required for take down. Some have broken with out dry fire (or so the owner claimed) and resulted in damaged barrels. The aftermarket has responded with solid firing pins. I installed a VQ replacement as a precaution.

You can Google into the RFC forum for more details.

Just to be clear, the Mk I,II,III firing pins do not have that extra hole.
What's the RFC forum?

I guess it's a good thing that I replaced the firing pin too with that kit. I rarely dry fire without a snap cap, but believe a failure while dry-firing is a defect. Rim-fires are a little different than a center-fire in that respect, but a few clicks should be survivable.
Old April 15, 2018, 10:25 AM   #6
DaleA

Quote:
What's the RFC forum?
Not to be confused with KFC, where I might be going to tonight, if it ever stops snowing.

It's the Rimfire Central Forum. They can be found here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

And while they are a great source of information they are, of course, no match for The Firing Line.
Old April 15, 2018, 10:33 AM   #7
LBussy

A whole forum that seemingly exists to enable my rimfire habit? Be still my beating heart!

Nothing could ever be TFL of course!
Old April 16, 2018, 01:03 PM   #8
rt11002003

LBussy, I have four Ruger pistols: a Mk ii Gov. Target, a Mk iii Target, a Mark iii Competition Target and a Mk iii Hunter (TALO). I installed Volquartsen Accurizing Kits and other Volquartsen parts on all four. Work like magic. Triggers almost as good as the two stage trigger on my Hammerli Sport, just as good as the triggers on my S&W Models 41. But both of those guns are more expensive even after upgrading the Rugers. I, too, have sight problems on my Rugers. They just don't stay in place. Loctite doesn't help. It's a good thing I'm using scopes on the long barrel pistols and C-More red dots on the other two, otherwise I might have given up on those guns. At least the screws holding the scopes and red dots rails in place have managed to stay tight.

I've had great experience with Ruger Customer Service; but, disappointed with Ruger QC. The Mk iii Competition Target was horrible. The trigger so bad, I gave up after firing it about ten times in my first range trip. Went straight to Volquartsen for their kit. The rear sight also fell off on that trip. The dove tail and sight are both damaged. The sight never even fit from the start. That's why it fell off. If I ever get the barrel off again, I'll send it and the rear sight to Ruger CS. Haven't sent the whole gun yet because of the Volquartsen parts. Ruger CS will remove and return them, replace them with stock parts; I don't want to re-install the Volquartsen parts and don't want to shoot the gun without them.

Looked at the new Mk iv. Seems to be an improvement. Bought my pistols when prices were lower. They were a pretty good value. Didn't expect perfection. Probably the new Mk iv is a good value, after it visits Ruger CS. QC still seems to be lacking.
Old April 16, 2018, 03:16 PM   #9
Pilot

I have four Ruger MK II's. I think they are the best of all the MK's, and I don't mind the disassembly, and reassembly. Been doing it since 1991. I installed the VQ trigger parts in two of them, as well as the VQ extractors. They work great. I also did a 10/22 with Power Custom, and VQ parts, and that turned out really well too.
Old April 21, 2018, 10:45 AM   #10
LBussy

To close the loop: I went to the range last night and had a nice long session: put just at 1,000 rounds through the new pistol. I had two failure to fires that were clearly the fault of the ammo - subsequent firing attempts only left another very clear dimple on the rim. So a 0.2% failure rate on bulk Federal. Not horrible.

The trigger is just what I wanted. It doesn't make me a better shooter but it makes me happier. Strikes as I mentioned were all firm and (with the exception of the faulty ammo) effective. Ejection was flawless. Take-down this morning for cleaning reminded me why I prefer this to the MK III I have. I'm not saying I believe the owners of earlier models should abandon their guns. Just that all things being equal, if I had both in front of me ready to make a purchase I would choose a MK IV.

I've got the gun I wanted. It was a little pricey, but less expensive than the "premium" .22 target pistols. I'm not suggesting I have the equal of a model 41 now, just that I have what I am happy with.
Old April 21, 2018, 06:40 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

It's hard to beat a day with a nice .22, isn't it?
Old April 22, 2018, 08:46 AM   #12
LBussy

It is. I go to the range weekly with a group of friends and the .22 comes every week. The others rotate. Some of my friends have started doing the same.
Old April 22, 2018, 10:45 AM   #13
Pilot

Quote:
It's hard to beat a day with a nice .22, isn't it?
It certainly is. About once a month I have .22 day. I'll take a couple of my Rugers, and my CZ Kadet, and just shoot a brick, or two. It is a "blast".
Old April 23, 2018, 11:01 PM   #14
marc780

I bought the Mk III for $300 just a couple years ago; I suppose Ruger was clearing out their old stock or else I might have waited. But considering the price of the MK IV ($200 more) maybe not.

The main gripe a lot of people have with the older MArks is of course, the take-down. It truly is a PITA especially with the stupid mag safety. After a bit of practice, some polishing (of the take down pin) and modding (mag safety? What mag safety) I can put it together in less then a minute; (well, 4 times out of 5 anyway) with ease (the 5th time reguires a do-over or two, including staring at the parts trying to find the invisible broken part and muttering threats to oneself, until the pistol goes back together). And with a little practice assembly becomes almost simple and includes many fewer barked knuckles and other hand injury.

The disassembly method is dumb, but that's been the case for every Ruger I've ever owned (used to have a Mini 14 that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside and required 10 minutes of fumbling to get the bolt back in... I traded it in at a huge loss. toward a Stag M4gery that can hit a can at 200 yeards with iron sights). The gun is the most accurate one I own, fun to shoot, and IMO worth the extra trouble... although I have to admit the thought of having to clean it afterwards, often keeps me from including it in the range bag.
Old April 24, 2018, 07:16 AM   #15
LBussy

The take-down did not scare me away from owning a MK III, but I do enjoy the MK IV take-down oh-so-much-more. Both are great pistols. The deal you got ($200 difference) probably would have been a wash for me too.

I've never tried an earlier pistol with one of the speed-strip kits in it, but I understand they are a good investment as well.
Old April 24, 2018, 05:15 PM   #16
dgludwig

Quote:
... although I have to admit the thought of having to clean it afterwards, often keeps me from including it in the range bag.
Though I'm no fan of the pre-Mark IV pistol field-strip procedures (and you can always count on some people to chime in with the claim that it's easier to do than peeling an orange-which it is decidedly not), I would make the point that it is wholly unnecessary to field strip a Ruger .22 auto after each and every range outing. Even after more than a few sessions with the pistol accumulating lots of gunk and powder residue, I have found that much effective cleaning can be accomplished with the use of tooth brushes, Q-Tips, pipe cleaners and a good solvent without tearing the pistol down.

For various reasons, my favorite rendition of the Ruger .22 auto evolutions (models MKI through MKIV) is the MKII. However, I applaud the much easier field-stripping regimen as provided in the latest variant of this otherwise fabulous pistol in all of its guises.
Old April 27, 2018, 12:26 PM   #17
stephen426

Reading this really make me wish I had gone with the Mark IV. I have a Mark III Hunter and it is a beautiful gun. Take down is a PITA as mentioned and I have yet to have time to really figure it out. I ordered the Volquartzen accurizing kit but have had problems with the install. The gun is pretty darn tight and I am really thinking of selling it and getting a Mark IV.
Old April 27, 2018, 01:15 PM   #18
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
Reading this really make me wish I had gone with the Mark IV. I have a Mark III Hunter and it is a beautiful gun. Take down is a PITA as mentioned and I have yet to have time to really figure it out. I ordered the Volquartzen accurizing kit but have had problems with the install. The gun is pretty darn tight and I am really thinking of selling it and getting a Mark IV.
Volquartsen Customer Service has been fantastic ... give them a call, they might be able to get you over the hump. Worse comes to worse, you send it in for ~$65 and they do it for you. The performance of that kit (at least in my gun) is remarkable.

Have you looked into one of those speed-strip kits? I hear they really make take-down easier.
Old April 27, 2018, 02:04 PM   #19
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy
Volquartsen Customer Service has been fantastic ... give them a call, they might be able to get you over the hump. Worse comes to worse, you send it in for ~$65 and they do it for you. The performance of that kit (at least in my gun) is remarkable.

Have you looked into one of those speed-strip kits? I hear they really make take-down easier.
I might just go that route. I am a bit of a trigger snob as well and have some great shooting guns including P7M8, P210, and some great 1911s. The Mark III Hunter is such a beautiful gun that I couldn't resist it. Too bad that Ruger does not improve their products to raise them to where they could be.
Old April 30, 2018, 07:37 PM   #20
3Crows

I am so smitten with my Mark IV Standard I might trade/sell, flip or otherwise do something with my mint Mk II 5.5 inch BB so I can get the stainless bull barrel 5.5 inch Mk IV. 3C