The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 22, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

BATFE response letters repository

With the caveat explained by DogTown Tom in the second post of this thread, a repository of BATFE opinion letters can be a valuable resource.
To reiterate what DogTown Tom has said below, these letters are not legally binding and may or may not apply to any given circumstance. They are not legal advice from any person or organization including The Firing Line forum any affiliated organizations or any Firing Line staff or members.

Lets see if we can put together a large repository of ATFE letters. Would be an easy thing to reference in posts and when talking to people off the forum about these issues.
Loronzo posted a link to one yesterday, so I will start with his:

Angled foregrips on pistols

I will try to add any listed in replies to this first post as long as I have the ability to edit it. I will have to adjust the format as they come in as I am not sure what the response will be. I imagine hosting them somewhere wouldn't be a bad idea so the links don't go dead.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 23, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old October 23, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
johnwilliamson062 Lets see if we can put together a large repository of ATFE letters.
Careful, while ATF Determination Letters may offer guidance or insight, they are applicable ONLY to the person requesting the determination.

For example, ATFs determination on the legality of the Magpul AFG only applies to the exact model submitted for determination. If company XYZ were to build an identical design that Magpul AFG determination letter does not apply.

Further, ATF Determination letters do not carry the weight of law. They can be and often are superceded by more recent determination letters. Yes, the ATF an change its mind.

Using someone elses determination letter to guide you carries the great possibility that you are in conflict with CURRENT ATF interpretation.

Here is a link to a bunch of rulings and letters:
http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/law.html Since this list hasn't been updated in years, quite a few of those documents are no longer valid or have been superceded by subsequent letters or rulings.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 23, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

The actual NFA Handbook is available here.

You can find newsletters going back to the late 1970's here.

To follow up other Tom's disclaimer, this is the letter [pdf] Sig Sauer is enclosing with their AR-15 pistols with "stabilizing braces." Notice that the letter addresses a similar, but different, product made from foam rubber.
Old January 17, 2016, 08:35 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

ATF pistol to rifle and back again letter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf (82.7 KB, 160 views)
Old October 14, 2020, 03:40 PM   #5
JakeE

Thank you for sharing this very helpful and saves my fat fingers lots of typing in searches hahah