The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 27, 2001, 10:15 PM   #1
cuerno de chivo

How true of Rugers is this?

I've heard that a Ruger DA can "malfunction" if you fire them too fast. Something about the trigger return being slow or the way the action is designed.

TIA
Old June 28, 2001, 01:04 AM   #2
Robert Foote

Not true.
Old June 28, 2001, 03:15 AM   #3
44rugerfan

Nope.
Old June 28, 2001, 09:11 AM   #4
whitebear

Depends on what you call a malfunction...

Comparing my Security Six to my wife's *&* 640, the Ruger's trigger has to return further forward before the action resets. If you try to pull the trigger before the action completely resets, the trigger will not move rearward. If that's a malfunction, then I guess they do. I would call it operator error, though.

Just my $.02
Member #1931
"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate."
Old June 28, 2001, 09:48 AM   #5
poperszky

Happens on my Taurus M85, but not on either of my Rugers.

Terry
Old June 28, 2001, 09:50 AM   #6
BigG

You get what you pay for. In that case, not much.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 28, 2001, 10:05 AM   #7
parachuterigger

The only "malfunction" I am aware of is short stroking the trigger. If the trigger doesn't return to its forward position, it won't reset. But, as stated before, this is operator error, not a malfunction.
Old June 28, 2001, 01:35 PM   #8
Dean Speir

cuerno de chivo asks:
Quote:
I've heard that a Ruger DA can "malfunction" if you fire them too fast. Something about the trigger return being slow or the way the action is designed.
Assuming that you're speaking of a Ruger DA/SA revolver, this is one of the few "I heard" pieces of information around, the terse responds of 44rugerfan and Robert Foote withstanding.

I first identified it on an early SP101 I was T&E'ing for Combat Handguns… not having a great deal of experience with Sturm, Ruger wheelguns, I thought it was perhaps anomalous until I spoke with several well-known 'smiths, one of whom offers a popular "street" conversion on the Models SP101. It was explained to me that this was endeminc to the Ruger DA/SA revolver triggers… I don't know if it also applies to their DAO revolvers.

Specifically, performing what the guys at Petersen's used to refer to as "fast, double action work" (usually "at seven yards"), there is a point at which the shooter can cause the trigger to "lock-up" hard. And another point where the sucker will actually "free-wheel." Both conditions are recovered from by the simple expedient of releasing the trigger and re-stroking.

Is is, as parachuterigger and whitebear suggest, "operator error?"

Absolutely!

But one I wouldn't want any part of in a PDA such as the otherwise excellent SP101… in my decades of shooting, I've fired a whole lot more S&W and Colt's DA/SA revolvers than Rugers, and have never experienced such a condition. (And not for nuthin', but I competed in sandpit combat matches throughout the '80s with an S&W Model 686, and regularly used to take out six steel plates in under three seconds… 'tain't Jerry Miculek speed by any means, but it's definitely "fast, double action work.")

The upshot is that the mono-syllabic responses of Mr. Foote and 44rugerfan are inaccurate, probably because it hasn't happened to them… yet.
Old June 28, 2001, 04:53 PM   #9
tyro

Quote:
there is a point at which the shooter can cause the trigger to "lock-up" hard
Quote:
"operator error?" Absolutely!
'Sounds to me like this is simply what happens when one fails to fully release the trigger after firing.

'Nothing wrong with the gun. In which case parachuterigger and 44rugerfan are absolutely correct. The "operater error" of failing to fully release the trigger between shots is not a "malfunction" on the part of the gun, IMHO. By simply fully releasing the trigger the gun is ready for the next shot, so the operater error can be instantly corrected by the operator.
Old June 28, 2001, 05:19 PM   #10
juliet charley

Contrary to what has been said it is not just Ruger. My S&W M27 (S-series, 69 vintage) is prone to "short stroking."

It is a well-known aspect of particularly the SP-101. The practice is of course to adjust to it and not short stroke your trigger. If it absolutely, totally drives you bonkers, you can switch to a stronger trigger return spring (which will not prevent short stroking, but merely make it harder to do). The cost is a heavier trigger pull. I've had two SP-101s and two 640s--the SPs have had a far better DA trigger pull than either 640. I'd rather practice not short stroking the trigger.
Old June 29, 2001, 05:36 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

COMPETITION TESTED

and true, but it doesn't happen to me very often. Learned to shoot it right....

Sight alignment trigger control.

----------------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are competition handguns"
Old June 29, 2001, 07:40 AM   #12
BigG

Just goes to show you nothing is idiot proof. Somebody always comes up with a better idiot!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 30, 2001, 06:43 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

RESPONDING IDIOT

Thank you.

I really didn't expect it, but I've had it happen with both. I just get going too fast, and I believe I don't allow the trigger to reset fully.