The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
jclayto

Price check - S&W Model 60 .357 - No Lock

I have a friend wanting to sell his model 60 no lock - stainless with 2 1/8" barrel. Gun is excellent condition with factory case.

What's a reasonable price for the no lock guns?
Old October 25, 2012, 02:33 PM   #2
BigJimP

You must have a model 60-9 or a dash 10 ....made around 1996 ...on the J Magnum frame....

Value in my area, and I don't see many of these around ...is probably between $ 400 - $500 in excellent condition.

( corrected....I mistyped a mod 66 - when I meant model 60, sorry )..

Last edited by BigJimP; October 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:40 PM   #3
jclayto

I will get him to double check the box label tonight so that I can be sure. I am pretty sure it said Model 60 but I did not check for a dash or sub model.

We ran a few cylinders through it the other week other than that the gun in mint.

Thanks BigJim!
Old October 26, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4
BigJimP

Don't worry so much about what the box says...check the gun / inside the crane after you open the cyclinder...the gun should be marked.

Having the box is irrelevent, in my view, on the value of the gun. I hear guys talk about it all the time...box and papers ....but personally I throw all that stuff away, primarily because I keep most everything I buy ...but when I'm buying a used gun, if seller wants a premium for the box ...I'll tell him to keep the box and give me a discount.../ if he thinks the box is valuable...let him sell the box separately. Its of no value to me ....let alone the original purchase papers on the gun.../ it just goes in the recycle bin. I think this whole box and papers thing...is just trumped up value...
Old October 26, 2012, 12:18 PM   #5
jglsprings

Quote:
I have a friend wanting to sell his model 60 no lock - stainless with 2 1/8" barrel. Gun is excellent condition with factory case.
I haven't seen one other than mine. They don't hang around the used cabinet very long. Armslist.com (http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/...earch=model+60) looks like 500.00-600.00 How much "no lock" means to you only you can answer. I love my 60.

Quote:
You must have a model 66-9 or a dash 10 ....made around 1996 ...on the J Magnum frame....
I'm confused. My 66 and my 60 are two different guns. Both 357. Did you mean a 60-9 or 60-10?

My 60 is a dash 14 (with lock)

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; October 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old October 26, 2012, 12:34 PM   #6
BigJimP

My mistake....I meant to say model 60-9 or dash 10 ....

I know the model 66 is a different gun.../ just a typo ...sorry / and I corrected my comment above...geez.../ hope I didn't confuse the OP.
Old October 26, 2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
Having the box is irrelevent, in my view, on the value of the gun.
In your view, yes. In the real world, sorry--it's far from irrelevant. It can easily up the price of any firearm and if nothing else, it would almost always up it's sale potential. Perhaps not to everyone, yourself included. But it's no stretch to say that having the original box is a good, good thing when it comes to the "value", price or sale potential of any firearm.
Old October 26, 2012, 02:40 PM   #8
jclayto

I don't think the original box adds value but to me it just sort of makes a used firearm more attractive. No real reason, I wouldn't pay extra for the box but it's always a nice bonus to have it when buying or selling a used gun. Then again, what do I know. I put all my factory boxes in the attic for safe keeping and then lost them all when my house burned in March Most I don't care about, I do wish I had some of the older factory Colt boxes back.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:24 PM   #9
AUG

The box doesn't mean anything for common stuff like Taurus, xd, Glock, etc etc etc since most of the lower priced guns are not collectable and still made in staggering numbers. This kind of stuff just simply has no collector value.

However when buying a classic S&W or Colt revolver, Colt 1911, low production run sig/beretta/hk the box is very important. For instance I have a Beretta 92 that is quite peculiar and I have never found another online or otherwise. Without the box (with label) even beretta guru's think it is a parts gun. The label proves otherwise as indisputable proof it came from the factory in that configuration.