The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 3, 2011, 03:53 PM   #1
ZVP

Shot themselves in the foot!

Boy talk about rollbacks! Cabelas has really lowered the Brass frame revolver prices in their Bargan Cave!
These are their bread and butter sales, usually the "first" buys of many BP shooters (till we get wise) and jacking up the prices as they did a while back was really a mistake I guess! Musta really hurt sales because of the results of todays pricing!
I'd rather not get another Brasser but they can be fun if loaded light. I shoot my '51 .44 "Navy" at 20 gr and it seems to be doing OK. These guns are a heck of a lot of fun and if you don't get magnumitis and load heavy, will last a good long time!
I've tried and follow the trends of pricing BP revolvers just out of curiousity and couldn't believe that price jump! Having just bought a Piettia Police before the price increase and wanted another regular .36 steel Colt but the price jump beat me!
I have noticed that the steel frame prices are back to the levels that they were before the increase. Even Bargan Cave prices are the same as a couple months ago... Steel is not the mover that cheap Brassers are.
The lesson should teach Cabelas something I hope!
Now they need to take back the patch and Balls price increases!!!
ZVP
Old September 3, 2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Hawg

I just sprung for a 51 Navy, wish I could have gotten a 60 Army too. It was a tough choice to make but I never had a 51 so is about damn time.
Old September 3, 2011, 09:39 PM   #3
bigminnow

I just got a 1858 Army from Cabela's in steel. I thought 189 was a good price...I don't know but it seemed like a good price to me.
Old September 3, 2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Hawg

Very good price.
Old September 3, 2011, 10:34 PM   #5
ZVP

Oooo! I missed that army when I looked at the site! Wonder why it's so cheap? Must've had some backordered and they all came in at once!
Better grab one!
ZVP
Old September 4, 2011, 01:51 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Several guesses (And that is all they are)

I don't know for sure but I doubt that there is enough margin in these revolvers for Cabela's to absorb a steep price reduction and still make money unless there is a commensurate reduction in the price Cabela's pays for the pistols. When I was in business, we could not budge a nickel on our price unless the supplier helped us out with a nickel. The margins were simply too close.

The Euro is down against the dollar. This could explain part of the change. But the trend and outlook are both in our favor. The rest of the change could be the result of fear on the part of the Italians that the Euro will slide even further. They could be trying to hit a price point on a large contract of revolvers that is somewhere above what they fear is the bottom. This technique worked in reverse for some of the airlines in fuel price negotiations.

Europe in general and Italy specifically are in more trouble than the U.S. financially. The price drop may be an indication that this Italian manufacturer wants to shore up his position with one of his primary customers.

Cabela's supply structure has consistently produced prices that beat their competition on these revolvers. I think that Taylor's has lower prices than Cabela's on some selected items (a while ago it was Dragoons) but not on the broad spectrum of revolvers. These smart buyers may have negotiated a good price on a large volume of a few popular models. I bet if you ask the phone folks, how long the sale will last, they will tell you they don't know, so they give you the typical non-answer, "while the supplies last"