The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 5, 2011, 12:43 PM   #1
ZVP

Testing loads?

I'm going out to the range later today and am going to test loads in my short Remmie and my Piettia Police Model.
With the Remmy I am going to try 28 to 35 gr loads and see which is the most accurate? Inital testing showed that 35gr did very well but it wasn't a repeditive test like I'm gonna run today.
It seems that the Remington likes powerfullo loads for accuracy. Maybe it's the slow rifling twist The big bal seems to need speed to stabilize.
Same with the Police but there, I am looking for a light target load. Probally 15 gr to 18 gr? The truth is that I am going to try and duplicate the 18 gr foil cartrige preformance using just loose powder. It ought to be easy to duplicate but I have to use Pyrodex.
The little Piettia Colt Police makes for a nice carry gun but I wonder how anemic the 18 gr load will be compared to my uwsual .36 Colt load of 22gr?
Who knows, I might just find that that 22 gr load is the best one for the '62Police?
I have found that pyrodex pretty much duplicates the preformance of real BP. It's really a pretty consistant propellant!
Due to the absence of "real" BP in this area, I am stuck trying to find a propellant that is available regularily and nearly as good as real BP. So far Pyrodex-P is it!
I wonder if all of Piettia's revolvers use the same rifling twist? if so this might account for the fact that light loads work better in the .44 if you use some filler.
I know production costs make the use of many "Common" parts and processes pratical and maybe that's how Piettia is able to offer so many good, reasonably priced guns...
ZVP
Old September 5, 2011, 03:06 PM   #2
zullo74

Here's a load chart for you....

http://pw1.netcom.com/~heliboy/guns/bploads.html
Old September 5, 2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Hawg

I've used Pyrodex for years, no complaints here.
Old September 5, 2011, 08:15 PM   #4
ZVP

Cool chart!

Thanks, it'll guide me well. I'm saving that one!
ZVP
Old September 5, 2011, 10:31 PM   #5
mykeal

Quote:
Disclaimer: The author of this page assumes ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY as to the accuracy of the data contained on it, nor for any damages or injuries caused by the use of the data.
Now that gives me confidence in the data.
Old September 5, 2011, 10:46 PM   #6
zullo74

If you noticed, the charges are all very conservative. Let your heart not be troubled.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:05 PM   #7
ZVP

Very conservative!

I love this Forum because you learn constantlly from the posts of others!
Till this day my "usual" charge for a.36 open top Colt replica is 22 gr. It's been my standard since Mike Beliveau suggested it when I started shooting BP 2 years ago.
Those light loads kinda corrispond with the old foil wrapped loadings.
Mosttimes conservative is best to start with and then learn as you go.
Thanks to all,
ZVP
Old September 5, 2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Hawg

Hmm, just looked at the chart and(IMHO) all the loads are low. Also I only had one .44 that took #11 caps and I use FFG(Pyrodex RS)almost exclusively.
Old September 6, 2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Noz

No danger seen in those load recommendations