The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2011, 04:03 PM   #1
troy_mclure

RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo?

RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo, anybody use?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...la=ProductDesc

any body use it?

how exactly does it work?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 15, 2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Marco Califo

RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo

I have this for large and small primers and I use it to swag the primer pockets of used military 308 and 223 brass that had crimped in primers.

It does work. It has a rod that gets pushed into the primer pocket to return it to original dimensions. You place a case on the rod nub, lower your press arm and push the press against a "stop" die with an arm that comes down inside the case to push against. It takes a good amount of leverage to resize 308 crimped primer pockets. I do this on my single stage press mounted to a handy 3' x 1' dowel (tree trunk section). The same one I use for resizing 308 brass that has been fired in machine guns. On the reverse stroke the nub gets pulled back slightly freeing the case, which otherwise would be stuck on the nub.

I started to swag some NATO 9mm brass until I noticed I could prime them in an RCBS hand primer without swaging. The only reason to swag primer pockets is to make them easy to prime for all future reloadings.
Old May 15, 2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

It depends what volume you need to do. If it goes into the thousands, I consider the Dillon Super Swage 600 worth the money. It has much more leverage than a loading press and is very quick. If you are not at high volume, but have just a little more than you want to deal with cutting by hand, the RCBS unit will work and be inbetween on speed. I've seen enough complaints about bending the rods on the RCBS tool that I would suggest putting a little case lube in the primer pockets with a Q-tip before swaging them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 15, 2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Don H

Agree with Unclenick on the volume usage. I generally just put a touch of lube on the swaging head nub periodically rather than in the primer pockets - it's easier for me that way.
Old May 15, 2011, 07:12 PM   #5
troy_mclure

well i have 2700 .223 and 700 .30-06, about 1/2 of which is milsurp.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 15, 2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Lemmon

Lube it....

Thanks Unclenick and Don H. That was a excellent suggestion that I had never thought of..... Thanks again about the Lube suggestion.

Lemmon
Old May 18, 2011, 03:23 PM   #7
mdemetz

I've heard the cup that pops off the brass may not fit some other brand's presses.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Sidewinder72

I use the RCBS for 5.56 brass. It works great. First you need to understand what it is doing, then it all makes sense. If you set up right, you will not bend the rod. Every now and then you will get a case with thicker and thinner webs. I have heard great things about the Dillon 600, but it is not cost effective for me. I have done many thousands on the RCBS> Only bent one rod when I first set up.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:56 PM   #9
flashhole

"I've heard the cup that pops off the brass may not fit some other brand's presses."

The cup won't fit on my Lee Classic Cast (ram too fat) but it works really well on my Redding Ultramag.

Another tip - on the really stubborn crimps I rotate the brass 90 degrees and push it in a second time. Imperial Die Sizing Wax works well on the sizing button.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old May 18, 2011, 07:14 PM   #10
scsov509

Quote:
The cup won't fit on my Lee Classic Cast
I have a Classic Cast and all I use it for is the RCBS Swagging setup or Lee FCD. Is it the newer style with the Safety Prime?
Old May 19, 2011, 06:32 PM   #11
rockyroads

Buy the Dillon. (Buy the best, cry once). I bought the RCBS and the CH. Couldn't really get them to work quite right, moved em. I really like the Dillon. Bolted to a board; when I need it, clamp it to the bench with a c-clamp, ready to go. Haven't tried any lube, though.
FWIW, CH website is ch4d.com

Thought I'd throw this in.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:50 AM   #12
higgite

Quote:
The cup won't fit on my Lee Classic Cast (ram too fat) but it works really well on my Redding Ultramag.
Call RCBS and they will send you a bigger cup that works on the Lee. They did it for me at no charge. Great CS.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:57 PM   #13
DANNY-L

I use one and it works good,"note" it does not take alot of leverage to work right but much more and you'll have a bent rod. Been there done that.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:20 AM   #14
F. Guffey

"any one use it? Yes I do, problems? No, but bad habits will render is useless, the reloader must separate cases by case head thickness, most military case head thickness is .200, when adjusting the primer pocket swagger for .200 case head thickness a case with a thicker case head will bend the anvil inside the case, and then RCBS will be called to replace a part on a piece of equipment because of a reloader mindlessly pulling the handle without ,measuring before and after.

I also have the Lyman hand operated crimp remover and the kit for hand cranking?, I use the attachment designed for the hand crank in my RCBS case prep center, bevel, de-bur, uniform primer pockets and crimp removal with a brush for the necks, just pick up a case once and do it all, I do not get bored nor do I have anxiety attacks but holding the case, turning the case etc., does not develop character, it does develop pain in the hand and forearm, I prefer the case prep center as an investment, after the primer pockets are swagged the expensive tool goes on the shelf, drawer or table, but the case prep center can be used for most task related to case prep.

F. Guffey
Old May 21, 2011, 05:30 PM   #15
GWS

I guess RCBS is tired of replacing the bent rods in this tool. Look HERE at Midway USA and you will find an "improved" model of the RCBS Swager Combo set called "Combo 2", that has a hardened steel rod that resists bending being twice as strong as the old ones.

PS....the Description mentions using "shell holders." That is a mistake. It comes with primer pocket "button" heads that are used instead of shell holders.

I am tempted to email RCBS to see if I can buy the new hardened rods for my old model swagers. I've never bent one yet, but then I've only used it on LC brass that obviously is close enough batch to batch in web thickness.

Last edited by GWS; May 21, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old May 21, 2011, 06:34 PM   #16
Edward429451

Quote:
I've seen enough complaints about bending the rods on the RCBS tool that I would suggest putting a little case lube in the primer pockets with a Q-tip before swaging them.
I do not think lack of lube is why rods get bent. I've bent 3 rods pretty quick while learning to use the kit, first using mixed brass and some had differing web thickness, second time I had learned to sort by headstamp but not by year, and the third rod got bent when I mis-sorted a pc by year.

Since then I have been much more careful when swaging them and have not bent a rod in quite awhile now...and no lube ever. I suspect the lubing of the button is not needed, but it sure can't hurt. The big thing is sort by year and even then, remember that you can easily have differing lots of manufacture within the same year. When it feels weird, I ease into the stroke and swage it twice with a bit of rotation and it seems to work for me.