The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2011, 03:15 PM   #1
troy_mclure

lee dippers, who uses them?

i picked up a set a while ago for $5.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 14, 2011, 03:33 PM   #2
bamaranger

me

'I've got an old set, black plastic, and a newer set, yellow, though bpoth are over twenty years old.

Handy for single stage loading. Before I got a Loadmaster, I often used a dipper and a trickler/scale for rifle rounds. Much of my handgun ammo came straight from the dipper.

Not a lot of options, but simple, cheap and affordable.
Old May 14, 2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Marco Califo

They are useful

They include them with dies, and usually they are in the range I need for a powder I have. They do deliver consistent charges, and after checking a few with a scale, I have used them for target loads.

I do like the Lee perfect powder measure http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=540522 better though. It comes with a stand bracket and the cc volumetric measure is useful to dial in very close to your intended charge on the first charge, by referencing the included powder density data http://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/instr...er_Measure.pdf. For $20.

Last edited by Marco Califo; May 14, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 03:55 PM   #4
chris in va

I just make my own using various sizes of fired brass.
Old May 14, 2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Adamantium

I've got them. Here is the suggested load info for them, but make sure to confirm on your own scale for safety. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...ct/Dippers.pdf
Old May 14, 2011, 04:01 PM   #6
jmortimer

Have two sets. Dippers are all I use. Nice not to use a scale once I open a cannister and check the powder to make sure what the dipper is throwing. Since I mostly use Unique, it can be a year or two or more before I have to break out a scale if I buy 8 lbs. No moving parts and is the safest way to reload. Key is to get your technique down so you throw consistent charges +/- .1. Making your own out of used brass is really nice for custom dippers.
Old May 14, 2011, 04:44 PM   #7
dwhite

I've got a set and use a few of them frequently. I like them better than my powder measure as there's nothing to adjust. They do throw consistent charges even with flaky powders and Unique.

Loaded some rounds with Clays today. I dipped 10 charges onto my scale and weighed it at 33 grains. Usually get 3.2 +/- 0.1 per dip so this is more than adequate repeatability.

I make some dippers out of spent casings for loads I use a lot and there's no dipper for. File it down. Glue on a handle and I'm good to go.

Don't really know why I have a powder measure any more?

All the Best,
D. White
Old May 14, 2011, 05:14 PM   #8
flashhole

I've found them to be very repeatable too. I wish Lee would come out with a set of "tweener" cups for greater utility.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old May 14, 2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Dr. Strangelove

I use them all the time, they're very convenient for loads that don't require super precision.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Tweeners and precision

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole
I've found them to be very repeatable too. I wish Lee would come out with a set of "tweener" cups for greater utility.
You can make a set of such dippers by dribbling a little carpenter's glue, a spitwad or chewing gum in the bottom of the cups. Adjust by trial and error until you get them right. You can also make an adjustable dipper by drilling a hole in the bottom of the cup and installing a machine bolt/screw of a size to completely block the bottom of the cup. The glue is my idea, the screw thing is something I read on another thread. I wish I could remember whose idea it was so I could give credit.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove
I use them all the time, they're very convenient for loads that don't require super precision.
What do you use for loads that do require super precision? If you use a powder measure, I suggest you run some comparison tests. If you use a scale for those precision loads, then I agree with you. When I want a precise weight, I dip for a weight just below what I want and trickle up to the desired weight.

Given a consistent dipping technique I would put dippers up against any commonly available powder measure that doesn't involve trickling powder up to weight. Dippers are incapable of jamming, cutting or otherwise damaging powder granules. You also cannot run out of powder without knowing it.

For some folks, getting their dipping technique to be adequate for precision can be challenging.

You do have to make a better chart than Lee provides. It is notorious for reporting light weights, for safety, probably. But if you have a scale, this is easy.

I have owned a couple of different powder throwers and have traded them all off. I now use Lee's Auto-Disk almost exclusively. But if I did not have that, I would just stick a funnel in the powder charging die and use dippers on my Turret press or put a batch of cases in a loading block and use the funnel and dipper to charge.

I know my opinion is not shared by all and I am willing to give evidence for the contrary position a fair hearing, but I have tested my techniques, and for me at least, for their cost, storage space, precision and accuracy (once weight is determined) dippers rule.

Two weak points: Speed and requiring the operator to be more consistent than most mechanical powder measures.

Regards, Lost Sheep
Old May 14, 2011, 06:31 PM   #11
jimbob86

I do.

I find them to be fairly accurate and highly portable.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:38 PM   #12
PawPaw

I use dippers regularly. I've even made one from brass that suits my favorite cast bullet .30-30 load. I'll probably make another this summer, once I settle on a smokeless load for the .45-70.

I use what works, and I've got scales, dippers, measures, tricklers. The dipper isn't going to break, is not going to become mis-aligned, won't cut powder and once you get your technique settled, they're very accurate. What's not to like?

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 14, 2011, 11:19 PM   #13
Smaug

I use them. They are cheap, effective, and very accurate.

They are not as fast as the Auto Disk Pro powder measure, nor are there as many choices of smaller loads. But there is nothing as versatile, in my opinion.

I too sold my RCBS measure, which had a hell of a time with extruded rifle powder.

"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old May 15, 2011, 02:56 AM   #14
Hook686

$5 ... sounds like you got a good buy. I have weighed some of my dippers charges. I know the charge weight (+/-) for the dippers I use, as the Lee chart is short by my useage. I use the dippers when I take my hand press, some powder, bullets and primers with me to the range. If I decide to shoot another 50, I can load em up out there. I sometimes shoot til all my preloaded rounds are emptied, but I'm not ready to go home; or, I want to try a little lighter (or heavier) charge for the bullet I'm using.

The dippers make for an easy range loading kit.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old May 15, 2011, 03:54 AM   #15
Geezerbiker

I use them to fill the pan on some loads. Some powders don't toss well from my powder measure and I like the scoops for that.

Tony
Old May 15, 2011, 05:11 AM   #16
darkgael

dippers

Quote:
I use them. They are cheap, effective, and very accurate.
+1 more.
Pete
Old May 15, 2011, 07:44 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

I rarely use them, but I have them.

My set is probably 40 years old or a bit older. Red plastic.

I know that the load card lists a ton of powders that are no longer available.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 15, 2011, 08:20 AM   #18
Rifleman1776

Used to when I first started reloading. Graduated to dippers I made myself.
They have a place.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:16 AM   #19
Fullthrottle

I do have the lee dipper set. I use them for plinking rounds for the range. They seem to be a bit on the light side, I find that great for range practice.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:02 PM   #20
emirikol

I use them all the time. they are more accurate and repeatable than any powder measure. All of my benchrest and hunting ammo is done with dippers(some modified).

For bulk pistol ammo a powder measure is faster and acurate enough.
Old May 15, 2011, 02:54 PM   #21
rg1

I use the dippers "only" for transferring powder to the scale pan.
Old May 15, 2011, 09:56 PM   #22
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove
What do you use for loads that do require super precision? If you use a powder measure, I suggest you run some comparison tests. If you use a scale for those precision loads, then I agree with you. When I want a precise weight, I dip for a weight just below what I want and trickle up to the desired weight.
I use a beam scale and weigh every charge for rounds I require to be more accurate. For just plinking and general use, a scoop or my Lee Perfect Powder Measure does just fine.
Old May 16, 2011, 05:46 AM   #23
spacecoast

I've dipped every one of my 11,000+ rounds reloaded since Nov. 09...
Old May 16, 2011, 05:47 AM   #24
spacecoast

Quote:
They seem to be a bit on the light side, I find that great for range practice
If you're depending on the Lee card, you might want to use a scale to calibrate your dippers, and do it for each powder. I found the card up to 20% light for some powders, but accurate for others.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:32 AM   #25
flashhole

I set up a spread sheet correlating Lee Dipper Cup volumes to the types of powder I use. I weigh the charges at specific micrometer settings on the powder measure. The table makes it handy to extrapolate a new setting during load development. If I am lucky I get a dipper cup that matches the Optimum Charge Weight for a bullet/powder combination. It's not hard to do but taking the time to generate the table takes some dedication.

Are you ready for civil war?

Last edited by flashhole; May 16, 2011 at 06:39 AM.