The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 12, 2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Rufus T Firefly

Any regrets when you got your PTC?

I might be opening my self for ridicule here, but I felt all warm and fuzzy that I would get a PTC. (in our state it is to carry, concealed or open).
So I still felt good after the training and range qual.

I got home and the legal ramifications really hit me. I am not a cowboy. I may not even have the money to defend myself in court if a civil suit comes my way.

I understand that if it is him or me, it will be me. Just wondering what thoughts others had or have.

We are subscribers to the "Survivalist situation". We have stocked food and water for 30 days. We are not taking things lightly. Just wonder if anyone had some psycological issues after getting their permit. I am rambling now. Get me you thoughts if you care to.
Old February 13, 2011, 11:14 PM   #2
therewolf

I didn't find remorse, but more worry about avoiding a ND than I thought I would.

I guess nobody wants to Barney Fife themselves in the foot, or shoot out a kitchen window with wifey sitting there.

I feel better knowing the means to defend myself and family is there, and I
have legal go ahead to carry.

But I don't over-think it, I'm just a range shooter and occasional hunter, anyway.
Old February 13, 2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Hiker 1

No regrets at all, though it did feel strange carrying concealed the first few months. I felt like I was doing something wrong or that someone would spot it. now, it's just a part of my daily attire.
Old February 13, 2011, 11:53 PM   #4
XD Gunner

I think the quote "I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6" fits here. Yes, I worry that if I have to defend myself, I wont be able to afford legal defense afterward. No, it will not change my mind to defend myself.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old February 14, 2011, 12:35 AM   #5
Rufus T Firefly

I like the responses here.

I am getting over the situation. I was thinking at the time that this is a lot of responsibility here. It is. Just wondering how many peope go thru the same feelings.
The legal thing tweaks me....
Old February 14, 2011, 02:09 AM   #6
derekb

My first conversation with another person while I was carrying was weird, no doubt. The next one wasn't so weird.
Old February 14, 2011, 02:33 AM   #7
sakeneko

The responsibilities and risks of carrying regularly hit me pretty hard one day, actually before I'd received my permit but after I took the class and some other training. It wasn't that I was scared, exactly. I just realized that *NOW* I was capable of taking somebody's life, even though I knew I would not do it except to save my life or some other innocent person's. Somehow it made the whole idea of personal responsibility a lot more immediate, and real.

I don't think that was a bad thing, but I definitely felt it.
Old February 14, 2011, 12:04 PM   #8
atlctyslkr

No, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old February 14, 2011, 02:05 PM   #9
XD Gunner

Quote:
I just realized that *NOW* I was capable of taking somebody's life,
No, you were always capable, that moment of realization was when you discovered that now you were *willing* to take someone's life. That is something that I struggled with before I even signed to take the class. I made sure I was ready for what I may have to do to protect myself, and my loved ones. Because of this resolution, I now pay attention to where I'm going, and what my surroundings are, I do more to avoid situations where I might be put in danger, and I am quick to disarm my temper as well. Am I safer when I carry a deadly weapon? Yes! But not because of the weapon.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old February 14, 2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Jake Balam

armedcitizensnetwork.org/join

Seems like its well worth the money if you're really worth if it gives you peace of mind.

Your mind needs to be on survival, not preoccupied with the legal ramifications.
Old February 14, 2011, 03:18 PM   #11
markj

Lots of responsibility there. A cool head and a good judgement on reality are needed for sure.
Old February 14, 2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Jamie B

Only regres were that OH did not have the law sooner than 2004.

Legal ramifications ($$) will always be there, but I cannot put a monetary value on my family.

I believe that if I use common sense, necessary restraint, and intelligence that I would be OK.

No cowboy here, just an aware husband and father.

Jamie
Old February 14, 2011, 03:26 PM   #13
booker_t

If you have a gun, why do you need to stock food and water for a survivalist situation?
Old February 14, 2011, 04:40 PM   #14
MikeNice81

It isn't unheard of for people to feel overwhelmed when they make the decision to add a gun to their defense options. Some people actually get nightmares when they first bring a gun home for self defense.
Old February 14, 2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Lothar

I took my CCW class almost 2 years before I applied for the permit. I wasn't in any hurry. I did continue to shoot at the range a bit, but it took me a while to get comfortable with the idea of carrying. Now, I would carry all the time if it wouldn't make my wife nervous. Hopefully, she will come around if she understands my philosophy on the matter.

I am sure of one thing though: I am more acutely aware of the need to avoid trouble when I carry. I think it has the opposite effect compared to what many non-gun-owners and anti gun types think. It does not make anyone a trigget happy vigilante.
Old February 14, 2011, 06:05 PM   #16
cambeul41

No regrets.

I was tempted to say I regretted waiting, but my wife was a hoplophobe and my not pushing it allowed her to decide that both of us should get our CCW/CPLs.
Old February 14, 2011, 08:06 PM   #17
orionengnr

I regret that it took me so long to move to a Free State that recognizes my rights...
Old February 14, 2011, 08:20 PM   #18
Dave R

No regrets. Its always nice to have options. If you're in a violent encounter, and you're unarmed, you have no (or limited) options.
Old February 14, 2011, 08:31 PM   #19
Ichiban

No regrets. I'd pretty well settled all of that stuff before I decided to get one. Just remember - it does not make you a cop or some kind of crime fighter.
Old February 14, 2011, 09:49 PM   #20
Southern Rebel

No regrets - no second thoughts. I believe in myself and my ability to make good decisions under stress. I have always tried to take whatever steps needed in all parts of my life to be prepared to deal with adversity, whether it be financial, health-related, or personal relationships. The one area I felt unprepared was family and personal safety from the criminal element because the laws didn't allow me to take the steps needed. Now it does.

As for the legal ramifications, I long ago discovered that to be an area that there was little control to be had on my part, save to educate myself on what the law says. We all, however, understand that there is human judgement in the legal process and much of that is certainly not predictable. If I run into legal problems because I defended myself and my family, then so be it. I will deal with it
Old February 14, 2011, 10:36 PM   #21
therewolf

Yanno, you could ALWAYS wind up in a legal battle over something

quirky, anyway, that has nothing to do with a gun.

I feel more secure, especially in high risk situations,

like gas stations at night.
Old February 14, 2011, 10:52 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I can't really see having regrets. I know how to control myself and I know that if I ever use my gun it will be without a doubt necessary.

I just can't see thinking to myself, "Maybe I'd be better off if I just let someone kill me."
Old February 14, 2011, 11:34 PM   #23
psyfly

None whatsoever.

Texas passed our law authorizing concealed carry with license during their 1995 session.

I took the training and received my license in the spring of 1996.

But I grew up in Texas. I have been carrying a handgun, in my car or on my person, since I was in High School. Many of my friends and acquaintances of both sexes did the same.

Texas law was once much less homogeneous and LEOs rountinely knew who carried and who didn't in their jurisdictions and, in my experience, if you weren't a criminal, you weren't hassled about it.

Many people, I'd bet, were carrying handguns in a lot of places before their jurisdictions passed laws for licensure/permitting.

Best,

Will
Old February 15, 2011, 12:26 AM   #24
Frank Ettin
Staff

Sounds like some good training would be in order.

Bop on over a bit to the west to Prescott, Arizona and take a class at Gunsite. Or visit Sierra Vista, Arizona next month and take MAG40 from Massad Ayoob. Or there well be some good training opportunities at Whittington Center in Raton.
Old February 15, 2011, 05:27 AM   #25
Ryder

I didn't regret getting it. I regret not removing it from my wallet when it expired once. The laws were about to change allowing for longer renewal periods so I was waiting on that before renewing in order to avoid future confusion.

So I was not carrying a couple months later when I got pulled over for driving 5 over and as I was digging my DL out of my wallet the trooper saw the carry license and asked for it. We have to disclose when carrying here and he must have thought I forgot to tell him. I told him is was expired but he still wanted it. When he returned from his car with my documents I had to sit there for 20 minutes while he questioned me in an attempt to find probable cause to search me and the vehicle because I refused his request.

He was professional but tense and I only got a warning for driving too fast but when it comes to getting cops out of my face I really prefer sooner than later. I also felt his talents would be put to better use chasing real criminals.