The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #1
dethrok

Mosin Nagant Rilfe Q

I have a quick question about a Mosin Nagant 91/30 Rilfe I picked up at Big 5 recently.

All the serial numbers match up, so that is good.

My question is: can I just go out and shoot it? The guy who sold it to me at Big 5 said I should take it to a gunsmith to have it checked out before I shoot it.

I'm kinda new to the gun (and shootingin general) and I'd just like to know if I should heed his advice or not.

TIA...
Old June 28, 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
OldShooter

91/30

It's generally recommended that the headspace be checked, a simple procedure with the correct gauges. In addition, clean out the cosmoline from the bore, bolt and everywhere else.

When you do shoot it, hold the butt firmly in the pocket of your shoulder. There are painful consequences.
Old June 28, 2009, 08:11 PM   #3
srt 10 jimbo

I took my 91/30 home, stripped it, cleaned it, oiled It and put it all back together
Old June 28, 2009, 08:26 PM   #4
dethrok

RE: Mosin Nagant Rifle Q

Yup, its been stripped down, cleaned out and reassembled.

The headspace is what I've heard is the biggest issue, although I'm not sure what that is yet ;-)

thanks so far for the responses.
Old June 28, 2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Jimro

Headspace is the distance from the bolt face to some datum point in the chamber. There is a range of measurements, from minimum to "field".

Since the 7.62x54r is a rimmmed cartridge, the headspace datum point is the rim itself. So you can check the headspace by seeing how many thicknesses of electrical tape it takes before the bolt experiences resistance closing.

If you don't feel comfortable checking headspace yourself it is cheap insurance to hire a gunsmith to do it.

Jimro
Old June 28, 2009, 10:32 PM   #6
DnPRK

If the serial numbers match I wouldn't worry.
Old June 28, 2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Ignition Override

Bought both a 44 and 91/30 from Classic--- in Dec '07 and a 44 from a Clarkesville store last summer. All three have been fine.

Just to point out an irony, have only had about three episodes of moderate gas blow back with what many call "cheap Commie ammo" in my MN 44s, out of about 900 rounds of Bulgarian from the old gray and newer oval green cans.

But in my Savage .22, I experience irritating gas blowback very often (shooting glasses are a must), and my newer Remington .22 ammo was made in Lonoke AR, near Little Rock. Cheap capitalist ammo.
Old June 29, 2009, 11:25 AM   #8
stubbicatt

The smell of combloc ammo...

...is different too.

The sling on my M/N is old surplus dog collar sling, and it too has an odor. Whenever I open the safe, that odor wafts out, and I have to take the rifle to the range, just to air out the safe!

I truly enjoy shooting that Mosin Nagant rifle.

As far as crappy capitalist 22 long rifle ammo, I've shot a lot of that ammo and not experienced what you describe as blowback in your face. I wonder if maybe your firing pin is piercing the cartridge cases? Perhaps the fault is other than the ammo?

Just a thought...