The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 1999, 03:38 PM   #1
Trooper

Who has the best dies out there and why? I currently use Lee and am thinking about Dillon's.
Old August 14, 1999, 10:54 PM   #2
bfoster

At the present time, in the realm of 7/8-14 threaded factory made dies (not including the efforts of small specialty makers such as N. Jones or S. Gonzales) on a consistent basis the quality of Redding's product is very high. Some of the dies which I have purchased from RCBS since the sale by the Huntington family to Blount have been less than what I had come to expect under the prior management. Not bad tools, just not quite up to the former standard. A matter of internal polish etc. For handgun dies destined for use on a progressive machine, Dillon's dies are quite good. You might note that in the calibres that Dillon doesn't make, they sell Redding. The one set of Lee dies which I have owned wasn't capable of producing a rifle cartridge to my standards: bullet runout was twice what I'll accept. I concluded that there was too much "slop" between the seater die body & seater plug. Rather than perform a "Mickey Mouse" repair on the die I threw the set out. This may or may not be typical of Lee's product- some folks swear by Lee dies.
Old August 15, 1999, 08:10 AM   #3
CCV

Redding is excellent, my older RCBS dies have given many years of trouble free service (I don't have any experience with new RCBS quality), but if you are loading on a Dillon machine use Dillons dies.
Old August 15, 1999, 12:38 PM   #4
Paul B.

I have had good results with RCBS dies, both the old ones and the newer ones. I only have the carbide sizers made by Lee. They work quite well. One handgun set by Lee (the only full set I have) has been trouble free and makes accurate ammo. Two dies sets by Hornady. They seem to work well so far, but I have had them for only a short time.
You're right about one thing. Seems like every time Blount acquires something else, the quality seems to go down and the prices go up. I will say this though. I cast a lot of bullets, and the RCBS molds are pretty darn good. They've been a lot more trouble free that some of the Lymans I've gotten recently. Maybe I have just been lucky. Anyway, I have no problem with getting RCBS dies. They have always worked well for me.
Paul B.
Old August 16, 1999, 06:44 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

I would say that I recently picked up a new set of RCBS dies and they were distinctly rougher then my older RCBS dies. They were so poorly machined that the seater stem has to be turned with a set of pliers to move them it up and down, (must be a burr in there somewhere but I cannot see it). I called their support, and was told that it would take between 6 and 9 weeks to replace them if they determined it was a manufacturing defect.

To make a long story short I use the dies and just rack it up to the sale of RCBS. I will say that steady adjustment is slowly working the burr out.

Now my Lee dies have always served me well and I do like the way that you can adjust them without tools. I will also agree with the above posts that Lee dies can be a bit looser then the Reddings.

My Redding dies a nice, and I have foun no real faults with them.

My next planned purchase is a set of dillon carbide dies for my M1A's in preparation for a dillion 650.

pete
Old August 16, 1999, 11:35 PM   #6
bald1

I've had or used just about every brand made and have now restricted my acquisitions to Forster/Bonanza Benchrest and Redding Benchrest dies. If I were to go with a progressive reloading machine I'd have to take a hard look at Dillons too.

-=[Bob]=-