The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 9, 2005, 09:41 AM   #1
billykaldrich

looking for someone to hunt with N.Kalifornia

Any one need a hunting partner in Nor Kal?My buddy is disabled for this season and there is only a few weeks left for deer.I also want to do Hogs. 56 year old Viet.Vet
Old October 10, 2005, 11:24 AM   #2
Rob P.

Good luck finding someone. I dunno why, but all the "hunters" I've ever spoken with refuse to partner with someone they didn't grow up with.

I've been looking for someone to show/teach me for years. I get a lot of "OK, next time I go" responses but either they never "go" or they "forget".
Old October 10, 2005, 11:32 AM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Rob and Billy-
It's tough finding a hunting partner, I know. There are few things more miserable than 3 days of hunting with someone you find little in common with or, worse yet, a real dislike for. And you really can never know how you'll get alonbg until you're out there.

Local shooting and hunting clubs may provide a better introduction than internet boards. One good way to break this ice is on a varmint shoot....prairie dogs and coyote are usually a single session hunt and you might find others more willing to share in such instances.
Rich
Old October 10, 2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Rob P.

I've done the club thing. Was also active in various activities such as BP several years ago and am thinking of getting into CAS.

No prairie dog/varmint shoots here (So Cal on the coast) because there's too many people. Can't shoot in the national forest during "fire" season. Almost all the county land is leased to the big oil companies so no shooting there either. Result, no place to practice unless it's the gun club 30 miles away up into the hills on a winding road - which I already dun to death and bankruptcy.

All in all, it's been about 12 years and I STILL can't find anyone to show me the ropes. Specific pointers on where to go, where NOT to go, what to wear, what to look for, best times, essential gear, local meat packers who butcher game, etc. would be great to get from someone who hunts HERE and not some magazine dude who only hunts elk in Montana yet gives "hunting" advise.

Sure I could pay a couple grand for a beater drive "hunt" at some game farm in Montana or some'eres. Dunno if I'd learn much though.

Maybe I'm too impatient?
Old October 17, 2005, 12:24 PM   #5
Jack O'Conner

I no longer reside in Napa County. But for 11 years I found the local hunters to be virtually unapproachable when the subject of good places to hunt came up. So I bought some BLM maps/USDA Nat'l Forest maps and found my own spots.

Plenty of hogs in the feeder streams of Lake Sonoma. A reservoir with good public access. Plan to rent or borrow a canoe.
Jack
Old October 18, 2005, 06:52 PM   #6
impact

well billy if you ever want to make a road trip and come to east Texas I will take you on my 600 acre lease. Thats the least I could do for one of out vets. If you think this is something you might want to do? shoot me a PM and we will make it happen.