The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 17, 1998, 12:19 AM   #1
Terry

I have a dilemma. I want to buy a large tactical folder. I know, you're saying "where's the dilemma?" Well, the first is I'm left handed. Second, I've been looking a three knives that are more or less ambidextrous, Crawford's Kasper Combat Folder, Emerson's Commander, and Reeve's Sebenza. I've handled the Commander and the Sebenza, but not the KCF. Third, I found a left-hand Sebenza that will most likely be gone soon. I have to make a decision. So......

If anyone carries one of these knives, I'd be interested in hearing why you chose the knife you did and what you like and dislike about it?

I'm also interested in whether anyone has
had a problem with airport security with these knives. I get stopped and questioned about my "man killing," serrated Delica about 1 out of every 5 times I fly. I'm concerned that they'll have a heart attack when they see a 3 3/4" blade.

------------------

Old November 17, 1998, 12:27 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

While I cannot speak to the specific knives you mentioned, I can tell you that after a close call with a Benchmade AFO, I no longer even bother trying to walk through with a blade over 2 inches. I throw any larger knife into my breifcase somewhere between the ticket counter and security checkpoint. I haven't had any problems that way.

------------------
-Essayons
Old November 17, 1998, 01:47 AM   #3
ShadedDude

Get the Lefty Sebenza. You wont regret it, if you want to know why...head over to thefiringline.com's sister sight at www.bladeforums.com and do a search on Sebenza.

Then go buy it =)

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old November 17, 1998, 07:48 AM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I own both in RH. Both are excellent knives. The Commander is probably better if you're lonking for a pure fighter. It's also larger and more is exposed from the pocket, belt line. Interesting feature for opening from the pocket.

The Sebenza rules as an all purpose knife, and will certainly aquit itself as well as any "tactical" folder, if pressed into a defensive role. I find the locking mech to be better on the Sebenza. YMMV

Lastly, I believe the Commander is a bit more troublesome for airport carry. I believe it will just make the legal limit for length, but you have to contend with "image" at these checkpoints...I've never had a problem with the Sebenza.

I second SD's comment if you want the in depth skinny: www.bladeforums.com

Rich
Old November 25, 1998, 04:04 PM   #5
Kodiac

Well, aint this a daisy of a thread?
Knives are a big question...
My new AFCK I got from here is wonderful, it has replaced my Spyderco Police model as an every day partner... The Sabenza is a nice folder... but good golly thats a lot of money for a knife. Look at the New EDI Genisis Folder... it is very slick, as is the new S-2 from CRKT Co.

If you want, I'll sell you the new knife I am making... custom handmade knife called the "Fulcrum Fighter"
Is self promotion a no no, Rich?

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defence Institute
[email protected]

Old November 25, 1998, 09:11 PM   #6
ShadedDude

the EDI Genesis is a great knife,
and your right, the Sebenza isnt the cheepest....BUT when you hold one in your hand, you realise why it costs what it does.
Customs blow away factory knives any day of the week. And the Sebenza is the custom of customs.

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old November 25, 1998, 09:54 PM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Kodiac-
Self promotion is certainly welcome from active members when it is on topic. Thanks for thinking of us though.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing about your design. Go for it.
Rich
Old November 28, 1998, 02:55 PM   #8
Hilton

I have owned all three of the knives in question in right handed configurations.

The Sebenza has all the ergonomics of a stick and an annoying pointy thumbstud. That said, it also has THE strongest lockup of any folder, outstanding fit and finish, and edgeholding that exceeds that of any stainless knife I've yet to encounter. The blade/edge geometry is extremely efficient.

The Crawford Kasper is a BIG knife. Too big, in fact, to be comfortably worn in the pocket. A sheath was included, but if you're going to the hassle of a sheath, then wear a small fixed blade. It felt ok in the hand, but really didn't cause much excitement in me for the price tag. The workmanship was not what I'd hope for out of a $350+ knife. I've since parted ways with the knife.

The Emerson Commander is the least expensive of the three, and is what I carry if I wear a folder. The Commander's Wave feature makes it almost as quick to deploy as a fixed blade, and the blade sports a deep belly for efficient cutting. The only problem with this knife is that it really should be carried in your right front pocket (or left rear) so that the blade is held shut by the seam. The blade opens too easily for me to trust it otherwise. Edge holding of the ATS-34 blade is average.

The final choice, as far as I'm concerned, is only between Commander and Sebenza. The former is the fastest deploying folder available and is a pretty good all around user knife. The latter is slower to deploy, but sports the best blade and lockup in the industry.
Old November 30, 1998, 02:00 AM   #9
SB

That was an excellent summary of the three knives mentioned. Just a couple of points to add. Bob Kasper is a very big fellow (relative to me anyways). It stands to reason that he can handle bigger knives. Also, general concensus is that the Commander is the better choice for defensive use while the Sebenza is the better choice for utility use.
Old December 12, 1998, 01:26 PM   #10
Axel Yup

I carry a Crawford KFF and like it a lot. I'm not very big (5'6", 160 lbs.) but I carry it everywhere. I carry it in an in the pocket leather holster without the clip. I usual wear Docker style pants or shorts so I don't have a problem with the size. The added width of the blade gives a special sense of security for thrusting damage. The handle feels great. I don't think you can do any better for a great fighting handle.

I read recently that Crawford will be able to make the KFF with a Rolling Lock. If so, then that will be my next purchase. Liner locks are a bit too susceptible to auto-disengaging.

Axel
Old December 13, 1998, 07:15 AM   #11
SB

To add what Axel mentioned, anyone looking who wants a KFF but still think it's too big, the Crawfords now also make a smaller version of it now.
Old December 19, 1998, 06:31 PM   #12
Axel Yup

SB,

I have the mini Kasper in a ladder pattern damascus steel. I use it mainly as a utility knife and a back up knife to my full size Kasper. The blade is a bit small (3 inches) to be used for my main tactical folder, but it doesn't elicit as many stares when I use it at work. When I want to go lighter and less bulky, I tend to carry my AFCK with a slightly less than four inch blade.

When I travel by plane, my plan is to carry on the mini Kasper rather than the full size Kasper and AFCK. It doesn't look quite as "menacing."

Axel