The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 12, 2005, 01:35 PM   #26
somethingmustdie

i'm in bail enforcement, and i have to say that show is crap. i tend to think it is set up sometimes too. theyre have been a few episodes i've seen where some of the crew carry pistols, and then sometimes they don't. i think the worst thing about that show is not just that it makes the bail enforcement profession look bad...'bounty hunter' already has a negative connotation, but that it made this line of work known. before this show, i'd bet that most criminals dumb ebough to skip bail did not really know there would be non-police out to get them too. when most people skip bail they tend to avoid police so much that they end up walking right into a bounty hunter's trap...but whatever. even if i am wrong about all else

i cant stand that stupid outfit hes wearing. white trash (im white too).
Old May 13, 2005, 01:02 PM   #27

I find the show amusing, although I've only seen it a couple of times.
Regardless of his past, he seems to be catching bad guys. I think that's a good thing. He's a goofball for sure, but why would someone want to make a TV show about someone with little or no personality?

Ronald Reagan
Old May 13, 2005, 01:22 PM   #28
KnightHawk67

Isn't pushing your way into someones home, at the very least, trespassing?
Old May 14, 2005, 04:13 PM   #29
Malamute

41 spl and atw 525 made some good points.

I'm pretty surprised he/they (Dog & co) have not been shot so far. And I must admit I would feel little sympathy for them if it happened. Anyone that looks like (is?) a scroungy low life and tries to force their way into someones house IS a legitimate target. If they want to project an image of a professional, they should clean up a little. Maybe that's their "camo" (to look scroungy), but it seems like more of a liabilty than anything.

If they were carrying weapons it would seem an invitation to disaster.

I predict they would not make it very long in the rural mountain states.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:25 PM   #30
WillBrayjr

I remember Dog saying that he had been shot a couple of times.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:53 PM   #31
ATW525

If Dog ever busted into my home, I would shoot him more than a couple times.
Old May 14, 2005, 05:27 PM   #32
Hkmp5sd

Can't believe no one has posted his website yet. Show sux, but I do like the theme song.

Official Website of Dog Duane Chapman - The Bounty Hunter
Old May 14, 2005, 05:29 PM   #33
sean85746

The so-called "Dog" is a convicted felon, though like most convicted felons, he claims innocence.

He is also a weenie. Yes, there I said it, WEENIE.

I am wondering why, if he is so tough, he let his son get the snot beat out of him by 3 people while he ran like a sissie to his wife's truck?????

I only watch the show by accident.
Old May 14, 2005, 05:35 PM   #34
sean85746

Did I mention he's a weenie?
Old May 15, 2005, 10:41 PM   #35
Malamute

Oh come on Sean, don't hold back, tell us what you really think.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:16 PM   #36
dawg23

Yeah, Bra - tell us what you really think. :barf:

That guy gives Dawgs a bad name !!
Old May 16, 2005, 07:50 PM   #37
Terry Twit

Am I allowed to say 'asshat' here?
Old May 16, 2005, 10:53 PM   #38
Malamute

Dawg, good point.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:59 PM   #39
Garand Illusion

Quote:
I am wondering why, if he is so tough, he let his son get the snot beat out of him by 3 people while he ran like a sissie to his wife's truck?????
I watch the show from time to time just for kicks, and that episode did blow me away.

For those of you not having seen it ... the dog crew left a vehicle parked in front of a guys house (unassociated with the fugitive), and he was trying to go to work.

The guy was a relative low life, but he and his family took serious umbrage at the blocked driveway and yelled at them to move them.

Instead of just apologizing and moving the vehicle Dog and his bunch started talking trash, and the guy didn't take kindly to that, either. He and his friends/family decided to make them back up the trash talk with action, and the next thing you know there's pepper spray going all over the place and cars geting kicked and Dog's son on the ground getting pummeled.

Basically, dog and his crew got whupped up on. And after talking all that trash, they just jumped into their damaged trucks and ran for their lives.

Can't believe how tough one guy was, though. He got nailed with a whole can of pepper spray foam and kept on coming.

Goes to show that pepper spray may be effective to give you a better chance to defend yourself (i.e. this guy probably couldn't see or breathe well) but even with a huge can coving him he didn't lose a step and collided with and wrapped up the guy doing the spraying.

If you pepper spray someone, don't expect them to just go down. If they're tough enough and mad enough, they'll keep coming. Probably the same goes for a few rounds from a handgun if they don't hit just right.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:16 AM   #40
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
and the next thing you know there's pepper spray going all over the place and cars geting kicked and Dog's son on the ground getting pummeled.
But when it was all over, the son did state they were hitting him like "sissies."

The part I like is when Dog is explaining why they ran, he states that if they had been armed with real firearms, someone would have been shot. He's preaching as though he doesn't like firearms and is going into these dangerous situations unarmed because he's tough. Doesn't mention that as a convicted felon, he can't go armed.
Old May 17, 2005, 08:23 AM   #41
Jack Malloy

You know, its kind of funny. Threads like this make me feel okay about not having cable tv, LOL......

Bail enforcement types run the gamut. Some are ex cons. Some are ex cops. Some are rambo or Mike Hammer wannabes. Some are college guys doing it for extra money while they try to get into law school or whatever.
Fortunately, I have not seen this show, so I can;t make any comment on it.

In some states, where open carry is legal bail enforcement types will wear tac gear and vests and whatever gun the local LE officers carry in thigh rigs to sort of trick people into thinking they are the cops.
Some states bail enforcement officers have CCW permits and carry concealed. Other states they are as well heeled as this Dog character and are SOL if the bullets start flying.
I seem to remember a book about Ralph Poppa Thorsson going into detail about bounty hunting back in the seventies. Probably the most realistic depiction I can think of would have been Midnight Run with Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin.
Old May 17, 2005, 09:45 AM   #42
Terry Twit

I wonder what's going to happen when ol' Dog kicks in the wrong door and he and his mullethead crew get well and truly lit up?
Old May 17, 2005, 09:48 AM   #43
ATW525

Quote:
I wonder what's going to happen when ol' Dog kicks in the wrong door and he and his mullethead crew get well and truly lit up?
A&E's ratings will go through the roof.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:11 PM   #44
115grfmj

Since alot of what he does.....

could be construed by an innocent homeowner as threatening. I'm also
suprised he hasn't been shot. Even here in the PRNJ, if he forces himself
in a residence, and isn't a cop..................Just say to the police "He
pushed his way in he's not a police officer, and I felt in fear of my life"
Old May 17, 2005, 02:13 PM   #45
BatmanX

oushing their way in....

I believe (I may be wrong as I am pulling from memory) that bounty hunters have different rights.

It would have to be looked at on a state by state level.
In Texas and Florida (the 2 states I know of that have Castle Doctrine) I wouldn't suggest going into someone's house!

But, IIRC, they have the right to trespass and enter a person's home for the purpose of collecting their bounty.

Current shopping list:
Bersa Thunder 9mm
CZ SP01

Current Ownage:
CZ-P01
Bersa .380 (Duo tone)
Kel Tec P3AT (SG)
Stoeger 2000 (black syn.) 26"
Winchester Model 97 12 gauge FULL
Marlin Firearms Model 60 22LR
Old May 17, 2005, 02:35 PM   #46
ATW525

They only have the right to trespass if the home in question is the residence of the person they're after. They have that right because thier target gave them that power when he signed the bail bond contract. Some states will allow them to enter another residence if they know thier target is there. They cannot, however, trespass just to poke and see if somebody is around because his sister dated your third cousin's uncle's roommate ten years ago and they think he might be hiding in your closet.

In any event, when bail agents are kicking down your door my best advice would be to shoot first and ask questions later. I would most definitely consider an armed assault on my home by bounty hunters to be an immediate threat to my safety, and I'd prefer to be the one left alive to do the explaining when the police get there to clean up the pieces.
Old May 17, 2005, 04:04 PM   #47
cowpuncher/pi

If you signed the bond. You got out of jail. You don't show up for your hearing. You are a fugitive. There will be a bench warrant issued. If a hunter shows up at your door. And says who he is before he comes in. And you light him up. Most likely you will get your ticket punched with another charge. This one might get you the needle. But, you do what you gotta do. Regards
Old May 17, 2005, 04:27 PM   #48
BatmanX

Ok.

Different angle.

You have bounty hunters knocking on your door, you have bigger problems.
I have not heard of one story (please enlighten me) of a bounty hunter kicking in a door he/she wasn't supposed to.

Current shopping list:
Bersa Thunder 9mm
CZ SP01

Current Ownage:
CZ-P01
Bersa .380 (Duo tone)
Kel Tec P3AT (SG)
Stoeger 2000 (black syn.) 26"
Winchester Model 97 12 gauge FULL
Marlin Firearms Model 60 22LR
Old May 17, 2005, 05:24 PM   #49
glock19er

the dog

ive seen the show in where he carries the big bottle of pepper spray but he needs to carry a big bottle of fake spray on hair for his head! if he was over here in the big cities like new york and chicago or atlanta he would of been shot buy now or robbed or even raped by the inner city thug gangs
Old May 17, 2005, 05:42 PM   #50
neoncowboy

IIRC...

Dawg was the bounty hunter who apprehended some famous, rich-guy rape suspect down in Mexico...and was then thrown in a Mexican jail for kidnapping. This was a few years ago when I was living in Hawaii and he was in the local news.

Not that I feel like I can trust anything CBS News puts out...but here's a link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in535821.shtml