The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 30, 2017, 05:47 PM   #1
AlexI

DIY trigger job on Ares SCR?

I just put a scope on my "new" (got it last year but only shot a few times with iron sights) Ares SCR rifle, and sighted it in. Shooting for groups off the bench, it became even more apparent just how bad the trigger on it is. And this is one of the "new and improved" triggers, so no point sending it back to Ares. The pull weight, as far as I was able to measure, is around 7.5lb. But the worst part is the really long, gritty creep. I am blaming it at least in part for the mediocre groups I was getting (almost all stayed at about 3MOA out to 200yd, just a couple best ones a little over 2MOA)

AFAIK, there are no aftermarket trigger parts for SCR. And I guess it will be a long time if ever until the market grows big enough for someone to start offering them...

I experimented with simple trigger jobs on some of my surplus rifles (Mosin, Enfield No4) in the past, and managed to improve them a little without screwing anything up. So I am sorely tempted to try at least polishing and maybe shortening the hammer/sear contact surfaces on the SCR.
Especially on the hammer, as it is exposed and can be worked on without even disassembling the trigger mechanism.

Any comments/suggestions before I break out the stones and sandpaper?
Has anybody tried working on SCR trigger? Are there any instructions for disassembling the trigger mechanism?

Thanks.
Alex.
Old May 1, 2017, 04:49 PM   #2
PlatinumCore16

I take it the point of the SCR is to accommodate silly laws in silly states like NY? (former resident)
Old May 1, 2017, 06:44 PM   #3
AlexI

Yep, and regardless of its flaws, in this regard SCR is a godsend for us here behind the enemy lines in NYC. I finally can own an "almost AR-15" autoloader (compatible with AR-15 mags, uppers, accessories) in the city where all AR-15, AK, etc. types are 100% banned.

Alex.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:32 AM   #4
PlatinumCore16

Yea, I'm glad I left lol. I lived in Western NY for 18 years and then in the 'Dacks/capitol region for 7 years after that. Get out while you can!
Old May 2, 2017, 12:37 PM   #5
salt and battery

I think going to long lengths to get a hair trigger is so overated. they fired a 45?70 at 1000-1500-2500-3200 yds with a 8lb trigger with over a inch of free hammer fall. made hits at all the ranges except 3200. a standard trigger on any bolt or semi auto is good enough to get all you can out of the rifle. David Tubbs said you can get used to any trigger and I have found the same to be true
Old May 4, 2017, 11:20 AM   #6
AlexI

Salt,

I am not really looking for a hair trigger here. Yes, a relatively heavy pull weight can be worked with. But I don't really see how one can "get used to" a bad trigger creep. It isn't exactly consistent, after all. Even if I could somehow train myself to pull through it to exactly the point before it breaks (sort of like with double stage triggers), I am pretty sure such a habit would play hell with my shooting of other rifles with normal triggers...

So, no comments on the trigger job?

Alex.