The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 13, 2017, 12:14 PM   #1
TimmyD

Free Float Handguard Question

I purchased an upper receiver that has a tubular free float handguard with a standard height gas block. The intended use is for hunting so the gun will be used in all weather conditions. To dry and clean under the handguard will the gas block have to be removed each time?
Old April 13, 2017, 12:46 PM   #2
rickyrick

If it's not a gas block that can fit under the hand guard, you will have to take it off to remove the hand-guard.

Doesn't require much cleaning really. Might try to get some oil on the barrel if you are storing for a while.
Old April 14, 2017, 09:18 AM   #3
TimmyD

Thanks that's what I thought. I don't want it to rust so if I'm out in the rain I can stick a rag in the open end to keep water out or get a low profile gas block.
Old April 15, 2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Chainsaw.

As stated, dont worry about it, todays coatings leave very little to be desired. I clean my ARs with hot soapy water, have for years, not a spec of rust.
Old April 16, 2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Mobuck

You can use a hair dryer to dry any moisture that might accumulate under the hand guard. Even better is set the rifle over a heat register over night if it's really that wet.
The AR is meant to handle wet conditions(like going into the shower to remove huge amounts of mud. etc) but still needs to be dried and lubed after the experience. Don't forget to pull the buffer & spring and dry the inside of the tube and blow out the gas tube after a dousing.
Old April 16, 2017, 09:49 AM   #6
TimmyD

Thanks, I appreciate the responses and suggestions. Guess I could also carry it muzzle down to help keep excess moisture out of it.
Old April 23, 2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Blue1

I've heard that some hunters just put a piece of tape across the bore.

This keeps the bore dry and doesn't affect accuracy.
Old April 28, 2017, 10:15 AM   #8
smee78

You could also use some compressed air to blow it dry, no harm there. Just be sure to relube after your done.