The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2016, 08:25 PM   #51
stagpanther

@9 x 45:

OK--I measured the starline brass and totally new it comes out to about .987--and when I reform and expand I lose .001 to .003 in length to average case lengths of .984 to .986. I'm pretty sure most of this loss is happening at the case mouth--between being compressed down and then belled there's noticeable chipping--and then putting it through the expander seems to compress the mouth back together in line with the neck.

I've decided to bring this project to a halt for the time being because I am having trouble finding meaningful consistency in terms of cartridge dimensions and load data. While I don't have any experience with this particular cartridge--considering the parent case and the volumes of powder it holds--and considering how loads might be near full volume in higher-power loads my intuition tells me the variations between COL of 1.25 and 1.26 is enough that it could potentially have a dramatic and dangerous impact of pressures generated, especially when using a longish bullet.

I usually do stupid things to later regret them--but when that inner voice says stop--I stop.
Old April 7, 2016, 08:32 PM   #52
9x45

Your'e ok with a .010" variance, especially for a minimum starting load. Still give Dillon a call, they are helpful dudes. It's not like they get calls everyday from guys trying to load 9x25, they are usually just responding to complaints about press set ups......
Old April 7, 2016, 08:42 PM   #53
stagpanther

Quote:
Your'e ok with a .010" variance, especially for a minimum starting load. Still give Dillon a call, they are helpful dudes. It's not like they get calls everyday from guys trying to load 9x25, they are usually just responding to complaints about press set ups......
.01 seems like a lot to me depending on the bullet and running a charge up--most of the public load data I've found is for COL's of 1.260--or even longer. I suspect that with this case going over the edge and spiking pressures is probably easy to do when perusing those "holy grail" loads of 1800-2000 fps. I will call dillon on Monday.
Old April 8, 2016, 08:01 AM   #54
stagpanther

I literally cannot find a thoroughly detailed load recipe--it seems there are too many variations due to it's wildcat nature, I guess. I've learned over the years it's healthier and cheaper to let someone else be the test pilot.
Old April 8, 2016, 09:27 AM   #55
9x45

Here's a 14 page recipe for 9x25 loads from our friends over at Glock Talk, including chrono data.

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/9x2...g-data.228796/
Old April 8, 2016, 09:57 AM   #56
stagpanther

I've already seen and looked through much of that thread--not much consistency there either in terms of case measurements--but I might try one of the "middle range" loads. I've finally decided to buy Quick Data after many years of coming up with reasons why I could do without it. : )

I initially had a similar fantasy of building an AR in 9 x 25 dillon as did one of the thread posters--but after doing some research on the cartridge through a 16" tube my conclusion is you simply can't get much more out of a 9mm bullet than you already can in a pistol--no matter how fast you push it the structural integrity and performance just can't go very far, certainly not past 100. No way it can compete with the simplicity and effectiveness of 300BO.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 8, 2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old April 8, 2016, 10:54 AM   #57
9x45

Yup, there's no new magic.....
Old April 8, 2016, 12:09 PM   #58
stagpanther

OK so I lied--curiosity got the better of me and I fished off one of their loads--decided on 10.4 CFE pistol (with some lower "lead-up" charges") using 115 gr gold dots. This load presumably should get me just over 1700 fps--maybe a bit faster since I'm using an 8" barrel with target crown.

Everything went fine--brass reformed easily--neck expanding went fine and seating and crimping went fine as well.

Since my RD decided to do the jihadi thing and blow itself up I was forced to use irons at 25 yds--and with my eyes I cannot see either front or back in focus. It was also blowing 30 mph winds all over, so my target was waving in the wind anyway--I was not going for accuracy--I was just seeing if things would go boom reliably.

To tell the truth--it was almost boringly anti-climactic, the gun handled everything smoothly and functioned normally with no signs of slamming the slide or any timing issues--all cases were deposited in a pile about 3 feet wide directly to my side--though I failed to find one case (hard to do in rocky terrain). The felt recoil IMO was just shy of a "normal" 10mm load, so no surprise there. Most of all I was expecting a horrific sound report and vicious muzzle lift--almost was disappointed as neither the report or muzzle lift seemed even equal to a "middle of the road" 10mm load. Did'nt see a muzzle flash either--REALLY disappointed about that. LOL

all shots landed within 10"--like I said I wasn't shooting for accuracy--but nonetheless I don't know if this a load that will lead me to accuracy happiness. : )

Last edited by stagpanther; April 8, 2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old April 9, 2016, 07:11 PM   #59
9x45

Step, as you know, and everyone else knows, any semi auto pistol can be pushed out of battery on contact and not fire. So if you ever find yourself in this situation, just keep the slide closed with your palm, or thumb, and pull the trigger. Of course it won't cycle, but it won't go out of battery either. This is a G17 with 125 gr HiTeck hand loads, going about 1,180 fps, or +P. A 9x25 will have a little more sting, give it a try.... about 15 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpW9...ature=youtu.be
Old April 9, 2016, 09:50 PM   #60
stagpanther

Quote:
Step, as you know, and everyone else knows, any semi auto pistol can be pushed out of battery on contact and not fire. So if you ever find yourself in this situation, just keep the slide closed with your palm, or thumb, and pull the trigger. Of course it won't cycle, but it won't go out of battery either. This is a G17 with 125 gr HiTeck hand loads, going about 1,180 fps, or +P. A 9x25 will have a little more sting, give it a try.... about 15 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpW9...ature=youtu.be
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!