The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2016, 04:43 PM   #1
Poconolg

Rebuilt rifle in 2 weeks

I am having my gunsmith rebuild my Rem 700. I had a Hart barrel on it that was shot out, over 6000 rds of 308 put thru it. I am having a Lilja barrel put on with a Jewel trigger. The barrel is 26" long and 1.125" in diameter. I have been reloading for almost 40 years. I have 10 different powders and 5 different bullets to load. The barrel has a 1 in 14 twist so all my bullets are 52gr. Forgot to say that I have downsized to 22-250. I have a set of Redding Comp Bushing Neck size dies. I am going to use new Lapua brass with Federal Primers. My question is what should the varience in case length be? Most of my cases are within .002". Is this close enough or should I spend more time trying to get them all exact? Thanks for the replies.
Old March 29, 2016, 09:08 AM   #2
Jimro

As long as they are within spec for case length, you are fine for the first "fire forming" load.

After that, just neck size until chambering becomes difficult, then FL size again.

Jimro
Old March 29, 2016, 09:26 AM   #3
F. Guffey

I always ask when the question referrers to case length. To me there are two lengths, one from the end of the neck to the case head and the other from the shoulder to the case head. Then there is the back and forth between measuring from the shoulder to the case head and measuring from the datum to the case head?? And ?

F. Guffey
Old March 29, 2016, 09:34 AM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
After that, just neck size until chambering becomes difficult, then FL size again.
Then there is that part about firing the case 5 times by neck sizing then full length sizing and starting over. I always ask how that is possible? The case has been fired 5 times, it seems to me the case is worked hardened. A work hardened case has increased its ability to resist sizing.

F. Guffey

I have fired cases one time, after firing I could not get the case back into a die.
Old March 29, 2016, 10:54 AM   #5
old roper

Poconolg, You been reloading long time and I won't do any different than you did with 308 that you had build. Myself I wait till after first firing then uniform length and I do use neck bushing dies.
NRA Life Member
Old March 29, 2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Nitescout

.002 isn`t very much difference...hard to see with the naked eye...trim about a hundred cases with the same setting on your trimmer...I`m sure if you check, you`ll see several differences.
Old March 29, 2016, 09:56 PM   #7
cw308

Good luck on your new set up,has it been blue printed. I also favor heavy barrels, mine is a M24 5R Rock Creek 21" brl. Jewell set at 10 oz. 308 cal Rem 700. Love shooting it. Trim length on a 308 case is 2.015 trim to 2.005 as per book spec. I trim every firing to 2.012, I try to keep everything as close to exact as possible. With resizing, I tried Redding S Type bushing dies, my runout averaged .003 Went back to F/L sizing .001 headspace using the RCBS Standard die giving .001 runout. I use the Redding Competition Seating die, work for me.Now the fun starts all over again for you, the trigger will make a big difference.
Old March 31, 2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Poconolg

Thanks for the replies

I want to thank those who repied.