The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 12:59 PM   #26
Verbal Clint

I think the general consensus of "high capacity" is more than 10+1. That's not my opinion of what it is, but I believe that is the ATF's definition. It also seems to be the media's definition (the ones who don't just give you a blank stare when asked). Also, the gun does have something to do with it IMO. You're not going to get 15+1 in an ultra compact 1911 in .45.
Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe."
Old January 28, 2013, 01:04 PM   #27
hardworker

Quote:
guns arn't "High Capacity" they come with the standard round magazine. High capacity is when you put a magazine that sticks out of the gun (I.E Glock 33 round magazine) I picked a Glock 19, because it was recommended by tons and LEO's use it. 15 round magazine and if zombines come it can use a 33 round magazine, which I rather have a rifle though.
Nobody ever won an argument by arguing semantics
Old January 28, 2013, 01:07 PM   #28
The Great Mahoo

Nope.

When it comes to hand-guns, the highest capacity in my collection is my 1911 (with a couple 8 rounders). Mostly revolvers or carry-sized guns with around 6 rounds in it. I'm mostly into 45's,though; a similar gun in 9 or 40 might tip that ammo count.

When it comes to rifles, I've a bit of everything. For my AR and Mini-14, though, I generally prefer 20 round mags over the 30. I just use them for fun and punching paper, so I rarely load more than 10 at a time anyway. A fully loaded 30 rounder just makes for more money down range in less time.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:01 AM   #29
robertsig

It's not a concern until it is gone. I'd love an AK47 with a 30rd magazine. I probably wouldn't buy one if I was limited to 7 rounds.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:25 AM   #30
CajunBass

Naw...I don't want to lug around that much weight in a carry gun...not to mention a spare magazine. That's why I carry an aluminum framed six shot revolver.

At the range I'm in no hurry to shoot up my ammo, so when I did own semi auto with 13-15-17 round magazines, I never bothered to load them to full capacity anyway. I'd load five, shoot five...load five, shoot five. Fill those 17 rounders up, and I was on the way home in a hurry.

That doesn't mean I support restrictions though.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 29, 2013, 04:41 PM   #31
cryogenic419

When I was buying my second handgun and had a better idea of what I was after, yes high capacity factored into the purchase. I bought a Glock 21 during the previous AWB when all you could get were 10 rounders. All the 1911's were 7/8 shot, a few other ones I looked at were at most 9. It was the highest capacity .45 I could find at the time that wasn't an arm and a leg.

I know...comparing a Glock to a 1911, not trying to debate that....the Glock felt more comfortable to my hand.

After the ban expired capacity still played a role in everything I bought except for the bolt action rifle. My thought is give me the highest possible and practical capacity for the gun.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:28 PM   #32
BGutzman

I didn't need an AR platform. But since we seem to live in a anything goes but gun rights environment buying a Sig 716 has moved to the top of my list.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:16 PM   #33
saitek

more

i buy because i want it and if one is good more is better !
Old January 30, 2013, 10:32 PM   #34
Colorado Redneck

Yup--

I bought an SP101 .327 Fed Mag cause it has six holes.

Most of the rifle shooting is done single shot---one prairie poodle at a time. At the local trap range, they won't let you load more than one round per clay, unless shooting doubles. Colorado limits big game rifles to 6 rounds.

When we go to the indoor range, we can go thru a couple hundred rounds of pistol ammo in 45 minutes. High capacity weapons---use up more ammo faaster.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:48 PM   #35
Madcap_Magician

I think it is nice to have at least one hi-cap. I have three current handguns and typically tend toward small single-stack pistols for carry, but I have a 17-round Beretta 92A1 as well.

Of course, it's nice to have 51 rounds of ammunition on me if I should need it, but it's a pain to pay for a whole box of ammunition just to fill three magazines. So tradeoffs.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:37 AM   #36
Dre_sa

I buy guns purely because I'm interested in that particular make/model. I'm saving up for a benelli m4, an Accuracy international .338 Lapua, a k98 mauser and somewhere down the line a HK mark 23. there are many guns I'm looking for, and when I have the cash I'll likely get what's available at the time and what interests me.

Capacity doesn't really play a factor into my purchasing decisions. if capacity is a problem, make plans for reloads.

The only time I've thouroughly planned a purchase was when buying my HD pistol. I liked the .45acp caliber, and liked the 1911 platform, but I did my research and ended up getting an HK45. 10 rounds of .45 is not inadequate, and should it prove to be, I have 3 more mags waiting their turn.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:13 PM   #37
WW2

YES!

Here in "Maximum of 10 Rounds" land (California) I only choose guns with a 10 round capacity. Then I get the biggest caliber available.

Glock 36!

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:06 PM   #38
hermannr

Ok, let's start right here and start defining "high Capacity" As your average 9mm holds about 20 rounds, and your average AR holds 30...Those would be NORMAL or standard capacity.

If your Magazine hold 100 rounds...that might be a legit "high Cap mag"

If your Mag hold 10 rds or less, that would be a reduced cap mag.

How about not buying into the Anti's definitions.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:15 PM   #39
hermannr

sorry, dup post

Last edited by hermannr; January 31, 2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: duplicate, sorry
Old January 31, 2013, 09:28 PM   #40
royal barnes

I don't think capacity means a lot to me. The last three handguns I purchased were 6 shot revolvers.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:04 PM   #41
dajowi

Nope. Although I did buy a Para P12 year ago.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:10 PM   #42
berettaprofessor

I don't necessarily purchase the firearms because of capacity, but I do consider the magazines available when I purchase semi-auto handguns....I like to target shoot at the range and the more magazines/larger magazines I can bring, the more I get to shoot versus time spent reloading. Range time near me is all by the hour.

Hunting rifles, no I don't care at all.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:36 PM   #43
Edward429451

I bought the G21 back in the day because of the capacity. After 10 or 12 years I gave it away because it wasn't as solid of a platform as the 1911. I did buy Hi-caps mags for the 1911. (8+1) LOL.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:54 AM   #44
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm more caliber driven than anything else. Capacity is nice, but if it were pure capacity, the Calico pistol with the 100 round helical magazine would be all I'd want (OK, a selective fire American 180 would be better). I'm quite happy with my 8 shot magazine Sig P220. Carried it for years over a 15 round magazine firearm.

BTW, I also have a Glock M21 and a ParaOrdnance, both of which have higher capacity than the Sig P220. I'm still more comfortable with the Sig because of my small hands and the fact that I've trained more with the Sig than any other pistol.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:38 PM   #45
Terry A

In order....

1. Caliber (Prefer .45 ACP)
2. Capacity (Prefer large double stacks)
3. Brand loyalty
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old February 4, 2013, 05:23 PM   #46
KyJim

I only own two handguns I purchased partly because of capacity -- a S&W M&P (semi-auto) and it's little brother the M&P Compact, both in 9mm. It's just nice to have that option. I have purchased the rest of my handguns with other and different criteria in mind. I own two "evil" rifles that I purchased with capacity in mind but the rest were also purchased with different criteria in mind. I purchased my small selection of shotguns without much regard to capacity, other than wanting more than a single shot.
Old February 22, 2013, 05:16 AM   #47
Sevens

I did actually purchase a handgun one time because it was a hi-cap. This was in 1994 just before Clinton's Crime Bill and I bought a Taurus PT-99AF, in 9mm, with one extra 15-rd magazine. Just weeks after I bought it...those mags became quite sought after for the next TEN years.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:02 AM   #48
Baba Louie

No. Not going to a war. Not planning on a gunfight with gangbangers or bankrobbers or whathaveyous. Never been outgunned by Bambi or Thumper or Donald Duck. Yet.

Having said that, I do own a few firearms that hold & shoot more than 6 or 7 rounds and they have their place and moments at the range. Even when ammunition was cheap and available, I was too cheap to go blasting away $$ in a mad minute, preferring to fire one round at a time as accurately as I could each time.

Now when and if politicians say no to that, this, these and those... then maybe I might feel the "need" to seek out such devices due to the political/civil disobediance that my warped version of freedom demands and my wallet can afford. Read too much Thoreau as a kid I suppose.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old February 22, 2013, 06:33 AM   #49
PatientWolf

No. I buy guns with their standard capacity that provide the accuracy and fit and function I want. None of my guns have higher capacity than manufacturer parts provide.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:49 AM   #50
thedudeabides

I buy mostly 45s and 1911s. High capacity doesn't go well with that caliber.