The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1
onlybrowning

Belt clip on Ruger LCP

Just wondering if you guys find it practical or not. I'm thinking of trying one. I'd think it'd be a good option for IWB or pocket carry. What are your experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 23, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2
weblance

I tried both left and right clips on my Kel-Tec P32(what Ruger copied for the LCP design. Pocket carry wasn't any good because when clipped inside the pocket, with the clip on the right side of the gun, the gun is tight to the outside of the pocket, and you cant get a good grab on the grip for a fast draw. IWB wasn't good either because the clip goes in the pin at the end of the frame, next to the hammer, so the gun rides so low, again, no fast grab on the grip. I actually liked OWB with the clip on the left of the gun. That was a fast draw, but the gun just dangles there, unsupported, so thats a NO-GO. I even thought about a small slit through the part of the pocket closest to your leg, and the clip on the left of the gun. Insert clip through slit in pocket, so grip is exposed, and gun rides high. That probably would work well. until your pocket rips. A little sewing, to reinforce the area you cut, and I bet it would work fine. Or you could sew a little "tube" for the clip to slide into, and the slit through the pocket wouldnt be needed. I never went that far. Its also possible, with clip on left side of gun, to clip onto your underwear, but then the clip digs into your skin.

About that time... I gave up on the clip, and looked for an even smaller pocket option, the NAA Mini Revolver. After buying one in 22 LR and shooting it, I gave up on that idea, and now just throw the P32 into my empty pocket, sometimes with no pocket holster.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
breakingcontact

It could be useful but I wouldn't carry with a round chambered which is why I don't have a clip.

Also...THIS is a good use of the word "clip".
Old January 25, 2013, 05:54 PM   #4
michael t

I have on one of my P-32's It works fine IWB for me. Not fastest draw in world but better than empty hand .
I always carry my pistols ready to fire . The long trigger on the LCP or KelTec is safe. If pistol is IWB or pocket It going to be darn hard for something to pull that trigger and you not know it.
Don't you think in to days sue happy world If this wasn't safe Someone would have had a discharge and sued by now. This type carry been around a long time in different ways. It's not just on a Ruger or KelTec.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:56 PM   #5
TheNocturnus

I have one on my Kel Tec P3AT for when I need deep concealment. It works best when I have to put on fancy wear. (Button up shirt and tie) It is invisible except for a little bit of the clip.

For daily wear however, I would not recommend it.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 25, 2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Dan-O

Have used them extensively on both my P-32 and P-3AT's with one in the tube and never had an A.D.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
PetahW

I removed the belt clip from my KelTec P32 when I sold it, and installed it on my LCP when I bought it a few days later.

I install the belt clip on the EJ port (RH) side of the frame.

The belt clips works for ME, although YMMV.

I like the way it holds the entire gun level with or below the top line of the pants/belt, since it makes concealibility top-notch.

I've never had a problem with drawing the pistol (either one - but I practice a lot), and always CCW with one in the chamber.

For the few times I elect to pocket carry, sans a pocket holster, I just insert the pistol in my pocket, with zero interference from the belt clip.

Old January 25, 2013, 06:45 PM   #8
kahrguy

I only use a holster no matter if in the pocket or iwb.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Stevie-Ray

I'll never carry with a clip instead of a holster. Even a cheap pocket holster covers the trigger. My pants are loose enough that folds would scare me, even if nothing else is in the pocket. But it's never happened! Tough, I'd likely be the test case.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:19 PM   #10
MTSCMike

Holsters all the way for me...no clips.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:42 PM   #11
steveNChunter

I have an LCP w/crimson trace, I tried out one of those belt clips and did not like it at all, it was prone to hang up on my belt and I felt like not having the gun in a holster would cause a little more cosmetic wear. It also caused the button over the grip to be pushed if I moved the right way, which was wearing my battery out quicker on the crimson trace. I have an IWB holster now and like it MUCH better. Way quicker draw time for me personally.