The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 17, 2011, 06:13 PM   #1
JAYKAY1981

Just got my ffl c&r what to buy

Hi first post so be help out the newbie i just got my ffl c&r money is tight but i want my first ffl buy to be a 1911 type pistol can i do this for under 500 i heard about south American colt clones that are 100% in spec but what do you get one and what is a fair price any help would be great

thank jaykay

Last edited by JAYKAY1981; March 17, 2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old March 18, 2011, 08:34 AM   #2
noelf2

The C&R market is a funny thing. First there's plenty of one item, then it dries up overnight. I think the availability of the 1911 clone you speak of is a part of C&R history. You may be able to find them here and there, at gunshows, or on GunBroker (at inflated cost), but not like you'll find CZ82s, Tokarevs, Mosins, and Mausers online through surplus dealers at the moment. I got my C&R to collect the "currently available" great deal C&R guns and rifles. If you give up on finding your 1911 at the moment, I might suggest you get a Tokarev variety. M57s are pretty popular and very available at the moment, and mechanically they are very much like a 1911. One day, they'll dry up too!

Funny thing, I remember when the Nagant revolvers were a dime a dozen. Nobody wanted them because they shoot anemic rounds, but they are just an awesome interesting gun. Folks bashed them all the time. Then when they pretty much dried up, the cost went up, and scads of people were trying to get them. Still are. Ironic.

Afterthought about cost - you can get an M57 for under $200. What a deal! In 5 years, they'll be over $300.
Old March 18, 2011, 11:54 AM   #3
TX Hunter

I recomend Starting with a Tokerev T-33 Pistol.
They are similar to the 1911 But Simplified, and shoot a great cheap cartridge.
The 7.62x25 I have one and love it, it shoots to point of aim, and have not had a single Jam, or misfire yet, and Im shooting ammo that was loaded in 1952.
Old March 18, 2011, 01:38 PM   #4
BarbreJ

I did a quick google and didnt find my answer so, If I have a C&R FFL can I use that to buy any gun or does it have to be a C&R gun? I would google more but at work and will forget by the time I get home.

Thanks,
Old March 18, 2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
i want my first ffl buy to be a 1911 type pistol can i do this for under 500
Sorry, as Steven Tyler says "Dream On"!!!
Keep the dream, but it will be a lot easier to start off with a TT-33, M57, P-64, or CZ82.

Quote:
If I have a C&R FFL can I use that to buy any gun or does it have to be a C&R gun?
It only pertains to firearms that are classified by BATF as Curio and Relic.
Pretty much self explanatory!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 18, 2011, 11:05 PM   #6
dmg4

There is a free list on the ATF website of what is on their C&R list. You should have gotten a copy with your C&R license. It was published in 2007. If it's not on that list, a gun has to be certified as C&R by a legal authority (very loosely defined).

You may be hard pressed to find a real TT-33, but you can get the Yugo M57 (basically same gun), which is selling for about $199 from Gander Mountain or Wideners.
Old March 19, 2011, 08:38 AM   #7
orangello

Go get a nice CZ52 & post pics of it for me to drool over.
Old March 19, 2011, 08:53 AM   #8
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
If I have a C&R FFL can I use that to buy any gun or does it have to be a C&R gun?
Holy Crow Batman! You should start be reading the massive pile of paperwork they sent you.
Old March 19, 2011, 11:55 AM   #9
noelf2

SwampYankee, His sentence starts out with "IF". Prolly don't have all that paperwork yet. You may be confusing him with the OP who does have the pile of paperwork, like us...
Old March 19, 2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Here is another good forum for C&R .
http://milsurpshooter.net/
The C&R dealer link is not working though, so go to:http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm...wtopic/id/1187
Old March 19, 2011, 03:42 PM   #11
JAYKAY1981

Thanks for all the help i well order a tt33 well be a neat gun to play with, but still want a 1911 any one know any where that sells a SISTEMA colt type pistol? or did i get on that one to late? they have them listed on this website cruffler.com any help would be great i am order the tt33 now but would love a old 1911 so

thanks jaykay
Old March 21, 2011, 10:12 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

You can now and then find the Latin American clones as a C&R. Personally, I'd just pick up a good US 1911, but your choice. You are limited to firearms on the BATFE-approved list of C&R firearms, which are generally 50 years old or more. The list is updated periodically and on the BATFE website.

Go ahead and get the C&R license and join the ranks.
Old March 22, 2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Hardcase

To amplify on kilimanjaro's post, along with the firearms specifically mentioned on the C&R list, you can use your license to purchase any firearm that is at least 50 years old. The list is not all inclusive.
Old March 22, 2011, 09:51 PM   #14
ClemBert

You mean like a Argentine Colt Sistema?

I bought this one about 8 years ago with my C&R. $361 delivered to the front door. I have no idea if they are widely available or not. I think I bought it from SOG.
Old March 23, 2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You mean like a Argentine Colt Sistema?

Don't get his hopes up...Especially at that price. Shame on you