The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1
bassfishindoc

Tactical Sling

Hey everybody, I just ordered an FNAR and am searching for a sling to go with it. I was thinking of going old school and using the 1 and 1/4" military leather slings that are found on M1 and M14 but I want to see what else it out there. I would love some advice for a tactical style sling that I could use to steady the firearm while standing and is very quick to get into a shooting position. Links to places I could purchase it and to information about them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old January 14, 2011, 07:56 PM   #2
smoakingun

dpms makes a black 1907 sling. black=tactical right? Check midway for that or a ching sling, those are handy, and you can't go wrong with a g.i. web sling
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old January 14, 2011, 10:44 PM   #3
wogpotter

Check Roosters slings out.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 15, 2011, 01:13 AM   #4
kenno

Take 2 ea used leather HK 91 slings with the fancy spring loaded clip (that sells for $15 each as an ATAS clip most places) for $10 total from CTD.
Pass the 2 free ends through the sling keepers and attach clips to either end of firearm.
You now have a multi-purpose 2.5 point sling (if that's your desire) that is about 90" long when extended for $10.
I've used this configuration for over 40 years.
I can carry "behind back w/sling across chest" and deploy the firearm to shoulder, aimed fire, in less than 1.5 seconds. Less time if slung across front of chest
Just sayin you don't need to spend $60 on a sling.